Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2021, 01:46 PM

Default Buying a Used RV7 - Carburetor vs. Fuel Injection

Hello, I am looking for advice on a potential Vans RV-7 purchase. The plane seems to be in good condition, very well built and well maintained.

It is a 2015 model featuring an Aerosport 0-375 engine and it only has 215 hours on it. My concern is around the engine itself being a carburetor model and not fuel injection. I realize it's more things to worry about, a greater chance for icing, and less fuel efficient.

I am wondering if I should hold off for a similar plane with a different engine, see if I could get the engine modified, or if it doesn't make much of a difference.

Thank you very much!
Old 03-28-2021, 02:17 PM

Unless you plan to fly sustained inverted aerobatics, I wouldn't disseminate just because of a carb. Of course, that is coming from someone that flies with a carb.

Born to fly, forced to work
Old 03-28-2021, 02:21 PM

Default Carb vs FI...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin8er View Post
Unless you plan to fly sustained inverted aerobatics, I wouldn't disseminate just because of a carb. Of course, that is coming from someone that flies with a carb.
Agreed. Mine has 1220+ hours on a carb...and many more on the Cub. You can always add a fuel injection later if you just HAVE to have that.
The adventure begins when things stop going as planned - Glen Heggstad
Subscriber!
Old 03-28-2021, 02:25 PM

I have a non-RV with a carb. That plane has an ARP carburetor ice detector. The light comes on when there's actual ice, and it shows the onset of icing. It's been reliable to the point that my RV-3B project also has a carb and I bought another ARP carburetor ice detector for it.

The device is only available from Aircraft Spruce.

Dave
Old 03-28-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
greater chance for icing, and less fuel efficient
Correct.
Of note: been flying my carbed O-360 in ice conductive weather more than once, but never encountered carb ice... standard Van's airbox/filter.
Regarding the ability of leaning, yes, there is a minute difference... getting LOP >20 and the she starts running rough and loose power.

One advantage though, injectors rely on absolute clean fuel. The slightest impurity will clog them, and I know more than one pilot having lost a cylinder due to that. Won't happen with the carbed one...

DC aka Dan

http://www.aerofun.ch

RV-6.9 #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner & lover
RV-4 #2062 HB-YVZ airframe builder
Old 03-28-2021, 03:52 PM

Or, just end the issue and back fit the very nice AirFlow Performance fuel injection system. This is a bolt on replacement - other than you need to replace the mechanical fuel pump with the high pressure version, and replace your low pressure boost pump with a high pressure boost pump.

I installed this system on my first RV (that was before Vanís offered a 180hp IO-360). It now has ~1400 hours and still going strong.

Carl
Old 03-28-2021, 04:24 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that a carb equipped airplane will have a much less expensive fuel pump, gascolator, simpler plumbing, and will be lighter.
I have both and for a non-dedicated aerobatic mount a carb is my choice.

For LOP operation a fuel injection is obviously superior.
Old 03-28-2021, 04:39 PM

If I was looking to buy an RV, FI vs carb would not be the decision maker. I would prefer injection, but I would first worry about:
- airframe condition
- engine condition
- 360 ci engine, but not a deal breaker, just a cost differentiator
- avionics
- interior
- engine hours
- then FI vs carb

If I found a good carbed one with everything else I wanted, that would be the one.

Tim
Old 03-28-2021, 05:22 PM

I had a carb icing encounter with my C-152 years ago and it scared the heck out of me. Took me a couple seconds to figure it out and pull the carb heat knob. We had an Ercoupe on the very same field that didn’t make it and drilled it into the ground climbing out after takeoff, killing the passenger instantly and the pilot succumbing to his injuries several months later.

I have since discovered the joys of flying behind FI with my RV-10 and would not consider a carbed engine in my -9A. A hanger buddy looking for a built -9A to buy is a retired AP/AI and is in the same camp. He’s looking at a -9A for sale right now that is carbed and the first thing he will do if he purchases it is convert it to FI. This subject matter falls under the “Primer Wars” category though, and is subject to opinions only. I would not let the sale fall through though if the price is right. Helping my buddy out, I budgeted him $4000 to do the conversion with a brand new AFP fuel injection kit, new mechanical and electric boost pump filter, and new fuel supply lines from TS Flightlines.

Every so often, someone on the forum will convert their mechanical FI system for full electronic FI and sell their used stuff here at attractive prices.
RV-10: #41686 Under Construction
RV-9A: #90949 Under Construction
RV-10: #40637 Completed/Sold 2016
Cozy MKIV:#656 Completed/Sold 2007
"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2021
Old 03-28-2021, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianflyer View Post
Hello, I am looking for advice on a potential Vans RV-7 purchase. The plane seems to be in good condition, very well built and well maintained.

It is a 2015 model featuring an Aerosport 0-375 engine and it only has 215 hours on it. My concern is around the engine itself being a carburetor model and not fuel injection. I realize it's more things to worry about, a greater chance for icing, and less fuel efficient.

I am wondering if I should hold off for a similar plane with a different engine, see if I could get the engine modified, or if it doesn't make much of a difference.

Thank you very much!
As has been said already, carb would not be a deal breaker for me either. Many other things that need to check out first. I don't think a carb gives you more to worry about, just different things to think about.

RV's do not seem to be prone to carb ice. I have almost 1000 VFR hrs split between a 4 (carbed O-320) and a 7 (carbed O-360) and have never had an issue in the air. I have had carb icing on the ground prior to TO 4 times in the 8 years I have had an RV. My Long-EZ friend has to really watch it as his is very prone to icing. Of the dozen RV's on our field 2/3 are carbed.

As far as fuel efficiency goes...I fly for fun not speed, typically fly leaned out to peak or LOP at 60% power (Skyview display) averaging 6.7 USG/hr (over the 495 hrs in my 7 to date) around 145 kts indicated.
RV7 - Built in 6.5 yrs & Flying 2017