- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-18-2021, 09:06 AM

Default Showplans cowl vs stock?

Should I go with a Showplanes cowl? Is there any appreciable weight savings by doing such?
Old 03-18-2021, 09:56 AM

I suspect that the major difference is aesthetic and the ability to use CAI with the showplanes cowl. Of course that comes at the cost of several time consuming modifications.

I went with the stock cowl. I知 not sure if there痴 much of any weight difference.
1st Time Builder - RV-10 #41779 (Engine Hung!)
Cold Lake, AB Canada
Old 03-18-2021, 10:23 AM

The stock cowls don't weigh all that much. Maybe 5 pounds for the top. Less than 10 for the bottom. Showplanes could be lighter, but not by much. The Van's cowls are honeycomb, too, so there can't be that much of a weight savings.

I think showplanes gets better air cooling efficiency or are more aero or something like that.

Buy it for improved performance, if you want to. But if all you want to do is save a couple of pounds, seems like an expensive way to accomplish that.
Panel hopefully coming in 2Q 2021

N1814T reserved with FAA
Donated Jan 11 for 2021, EAA and AOPA member
Old 03-18-2021, 10:29 AM

That all makes sense. Need to order the finishing kit and just trying to decide if I remove the stock vans cowl from the order. I'm torn and agree that weight savings will not a be a decision point. It looks cool but I do see that there will be other modifications needed and no idea at this point if CAI is a path I want to go down. Decisions, decision, decisions and with predicted lead times on the kits it makes it much more difficult to decide.

Anyone wish they would have gone with showplanes over stock or anyone who went showplanes cowl but wish they would have went stock and why?
Old 03-18-2021, 10:34 AM

I believe there may be interference issues with a vertical induction system with the stock cowl (At least that was what I was lead to believe). If you are looking to go that route on your engine, you may want to verify what cowl you need to order.

Every upgrade / deviation from plans has possible ripple effects.
RV10 Slow Build - #41778
Finish Kit - in progress
RV10builder.com
KVKX / KHEF
Old 03-18-2021, 11:01 AM

Default Showplanes

I went with the showplanes cowl and never looked back...

Personal preference, really, but here is why:

I like the looks better, can't stand the snorkel.

I have CAI. I do not know if it fits in the stock cowl.

I did a split lower cowl, which was fairly easy to do on the showplanes cowl.

Having flow with it now for 50 hours, I have not had any cooling issues, and removing the split cowl is incredibly easy.

Can't say how much more or less work is involved as I obviously did not use the stock cowl. I would guess a bit more, as there are some baffle mods that need to be done for the inlets and induction system.

RV-10
Phase I COMPLETE!

Dues+ Paid 2020,...Thanks DR+
Old 03-18-2021, 11:28 AM

I知 just finishing the tail kit on my second RV. The wing kit arrives the first of May, the fuselage kit arrives the first of June. I知 dragging my heels on ordering the finish kit because of making this cowl decision.

My choices for the cowl:
- Hands down favorite is the James Cowl. I used it on my first RV-10 and found it provided gains in cruise efficiency (as compared to what other RV-10 builders were reporting). The new owners of James Cowl have told me they will soon offer the RV-10 cowl, but I don稚 have a time line. There is also discussion of offering one for the stock vertical indiction engine and one for the cold air sump horizontal induction. Here is a photo of my first RV-10 with the James Cowl.

- Backup if the James Cowl does not happen is the Showplanes cowl. In addition to addressing some of the limitations of the stock cowl (like a too small of a spinner), the attraction of cold air sump engine is a driver. Note however that while a stock IO-540 cold air sump engine from Thunderbolt will make 275HP instead of 260 (8.5 - 1 pistions) current price is $58,100. If you opt for 9 - 1 pistions HP goes to 285. For me I値l stay with 8.5 pistons to have the option of burning mogas if 100LL (or its replacement) costs become excessive. The mission of this plane is high efficiency cruise, not time to climb.

- If all else fails I値l bite the bullet and get the stock cowl.

Carl
Old 03-18-2021, 02:31 PM

Good info... anyone know what part #'s to delete from the finishing kit if I choose to go the showplanes route?
Old 03-18-2021, 02:54 PM

I don't know the part numbers offhand, but Van's is good about working with rough descriptions for parts. And the top and bottom RV-10 front cowls are pretty easy for them to figure out.
Panel hopefully coming in 2Q 2021

N1814T reserved with FAA
Donated Jan 11 for 2021, EAA and AOPA member
Old 03-18-2021, 03:14 PM

Default and

you won't need the FAB parts either

RV-10
Phase I COMPLETE!

Dues+ Paid 2020,...Thanks DR+