Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2021, 07:36 AM

Default RV-10 Transition for a Noob

I have been in love with the RV-10 since I first knew it existed. I feel it fits my mission the best. I live/work in Orlando, but have aging parents in Pensacola, which is about an 8 hour drive. I need something fast enough to get me there and back same day if needed. I am 2 months away from earning my PPL. I should have around 50 hours when completed. I am thinking about starting the build process now, and by the time its done I should have between 75-100 hours total. I have no issues hiring a transition instructor. My concern is will I be able to handle the difference in speed, and will it close to as forgiving as the 172 I am flying? Should I purchase a 182 instead, and build up time? I have seen 10 year old RV's sell for what it would cost to build one new. I have reached out to Saint Aviation, and for their builder assist program, Airframe, Avionics, Engine, Leather Interior, and Paint is $285k. So why buy a 40 year old airplane that could potentially have high maintenance costs, when I could have brand new? All comments are welcome. Thank you.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:42 AM

Insurance availability and cost for a low-time pilot flying a 4 place E-AB is something to investigate.

Perhaps the more relevant consideration is the ability to commit to a 3-5 year building process. What are you going to fly in the meantime?

AFS 5400/3500, G5, 430W, some other stuff

Last edited by MacCool : 03-09-2021 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:48 AM

Transitioning to the extra speed is no issue, even for an early time pilot, with proper training. If you don't need four seats, look at a 6A, 7A, or 9A. Much less expensive, just as fast and will be easier to get insurance for.

Larry
Old 03-09-2021, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCool View Post

Perhaps the more relevant consideration is the ability to commit to a 3-5 year building process. What are you going to fly in the meantime?
More important is WHEN are you going to have time to fly? Building a -10 is no small task.

-Marc
Old 03-09-2021, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummit View Post
More important is WHEN are you going to have time to fly? Building a -10 is no small task.

-Marc
This. And it applies to any project, just more so for the 10. It’s really hard to fly or do much else if you are focusing on building and aren’t retired. It can be done but it will draw out your project build time. I know that for a fact — 9 yr build for me and I got my instrument during that time but basically did little flying otherwise. It’s a zero sum game so to add here you have to decrease there.

That said the RV-10 has great manners and will present no issues with the transition from a skills perspective. Insurance, on the other hand......
WAR EAGLE!
Old 03-09-2021, 08:43 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF

Aaron, welcome aboard the good ship VAF

I have built/flown the 10 and it is quite a step up from the 172----but it is doable for sure.

I have a buddy who went from getting his PPL in the 172 and directly to the 10 with transition training from Mike Seager. His only prior flying was taking the training in the 172.

Good luck, the 10 is a fantastic ride.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 03-09-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
Insurance availability and cost for a low-time pilot flying a 4 place E-AB is something to investigate.

Saint Aviation has a Rapid Builder program that claims can build the plane in 3-4 weeks. I plan on visiting their shop tomorrow to get the full details. Depending on what they actually require for me, I assume with my schedule it would take a little longer. It will take me about a year to get 4 weeks off of work. In the meantime I can rent from my school, and keep flying the 172.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
Transitioning to the extra speed is no issue, even for an early time pilot, with proper training. If you don't need four seats, look at a 6A, 7A, or 9A. Much less expensive, just as fast and will be easier to get insurance for.

Larry
I do need 4 seats. My fiancť of course wants kids, and we have dogs. Other than Pensacola, we are looking forward to taking friends to the Keys and Bahamas. Not too far from us.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
This. And it applies to any project, just more so for the 10. Itís really hard to fly or do much else if you are focusing on building and arenít retired. It can be done but it will draw out your project build time. I know that for a fact ó 9 yr build for me and I got my instrument during that time but basically did little flying otherwise. Itís a zero sum game so to add here you have to decrease there.

That said the RV-10 has great manners and will present no issues with the transition from a skills perspective. Insurance, on the other hand......
Saint Aviation states their builder assist time is 3-4 weeks. It would take me a year to commit to 4 weeks off work. In that time I do plan on getting my instrument.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Aaron, welcome aboard the good ship VAF

I have built/flown the 10 and it is quite a step up from the 172----but it is doable for sure.

I have a buddy who went from getting his PPL in the 172 and directly to the 10 with transition training from Mike Seager. His only prior flying was taking the training in the 172.

Good luck, the 10 is a fantastic ride.
Thank you, and that is good to know. I will look him up for sure!