- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:00 PM

Default New kit builders heads up

So Iím relatively new to building an RV 10. Iím almost through the empanage. I have the QB wings on order and a slow build fuselage showing up one of these days.

So hereís the heads up. I go to order the finishing kit thinking thatís the end of the 4 kits. Not so....hidden in the catalog on the Vans web page is whatís called the firewall forward kit. So if you think you can build an RV with the 4 kits as laid out on the order forms ...think again. Youíll still have to fork out another at least 7k for the FWF kit.

Seems to me they could be more open with potential customers so we would have the full cost of the build upfront.

Ok thatís my rant for the day.

Keith

RV-10 in progress
CGMMD reserved
Dues paid till 2022
Old 02-04-2021, 09:16 PM

They're plenty open about it. The FWF kit they offer is not required to finish your aircraft. It is a package they put together to better serve their customers over the customer sourcing all these parts individually. You and every other builder will be paying for these parts in the packaged kit offered or if separate. Oh but wait there's more. Don't forget the interior, instruments and avionics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weefle View Post
So I’m relatively new to building an RV 10. I’m almost through the empanage. I have the QB wings on order and a slow build fuselage showing up one of these days.

So here’s the heads up. I go to order the finishing kit thinking that’s the end of the 4 kits. Not so....hidden in the catalog on the Vans web page is what’s called the firewall forward kit. So if you think you can build an RV with the 4 kits as laid out on the order forms ...think again. You’ll still have to fork out another at least 7k for the FWF kit.

Seems to me they could be more open with potential customers so we would have the full cost of the build upfront.

Ok that’s my rant for the day.

Keith
Pazmany PL-1 N2029 (bought & sold)
RV7 - N537TC (reserved & building)
Emp, Wings & Fuse done - working on FWF

"The air is an extremely dangerous, jealous and exacting mistress. Once under the spell most lovers are faithful to the end, which is not always old age." - Winston Churchill
Old 02-04-2021, 09:35 PM

Default FWF

Many builders skip FWF but you are correct. You still need all the stuff. Prop governor, alternator, hoses, oil cooler. I eliminated the expensive items in favor of group buys along the way. Saved a bunch.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit, now FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:40 PM

If you think the purchase of the FWF kit will be your final big purchase, good luck with that.

N626JA
RV-7A at CXP
Flying!
Old 02-04-2021, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by climberrn View Post
If you think the purchase of the FWF kit will be your final big purchase, good luck with that.
That wasnít my point...I know thereís an engine, avionics, etc. I guess I wasnít clear enough about the way Vans leaves out the FWF kit and you kind of find out by chance.

RV-10 in progress
CGMMD reserved
Dues paid till 2022
Old 02-04-2021, 11:35 PM

Keith,

In my opinion Van's isn't being disingenuous at all. When the program originally started, two prototypes were built around two different engines, the Lyc 540 and a continental 210hp. They would have considerably different finishing kits.
Both engines had impressive numbers but the early buyers wanted the LYC (there's no replacement for displacement). After the market spoke Lyc, the Continental option was terminated. Also in the early years alternative engines for the 10 were the rage. There was a Subaru option and a couple of V8 options, all FWF.
There was also talk of a diesel and a turboprop. Most of those options crumbled away simply because the IO-540 was such a perfect option for the 10. Van's is simply giving buyers more options and flexibility even though they could probably make more money forcing their customers to buy parts of standardized kits that they don't want.
Van's customizes your kit purchases so you only buy what you need (wait wrong commercial).
KITPLANES Contributing Editor
Old 02-05-2021, 05:58 AM

I found this very helpful and came with the electronic copy of the plans which I purchased prior to building. Not sure if it is common to all models.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 7.56.23 AM.png
Views:	228
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	7945  
2017 Waco YMF-5
Kit # 140694
Started October 22, 2019
Engine, prop, and cowling to complete
2021 Dues Paid
Old 02-05-2021, 06:53 AM

Vanís Aircraft does not hide anything in their sales marketing. Shame on you for not figuring out what is needed to build an RV-10 by reading their website!
RV-10: #41686 Under Construction
RV-9A: #90949 Under Construction
RV-10: #40637 Completed/Sold 2016
Cozy MKIV:#656 Completed/Sold 2007
"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2021
Old 02-05-2021, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weefle View Post
So Iím relatively new to building an RV 10. Iím almost through the empanage. I have the QB wings on order and a slow build fuselage showing up one of these days.

So hereís the heads up. I go to order the finishing kit thinking thatís the end of the 4 kits. Not so....hidden in the catalog on the Vans web page is whatís called the firewall forward kit. So if you think you can build an RV with the 4 kits as laid out on the order forms ...think again. Youíll still have to fork out another at least 7k for the FWF kit.

Ok thatís my rant for the day.

Keith
I know the total build cost will sneak up on you especially when the order form isn't as front-center. Most people just look at the kit prices and budget the build as such. Since you are building the RV10, all the interior work and fancy avionics needed for your 4-seaters will probably exceed the cost of the kit. I spent more on my build in the last 9 months than in the first 2 years.
Avionics Installation -- 90%
Firewall Forward -- Prep for cowl install
Electrical -- 90%

Donation paid through 2021
Old 02-05-2021, 07:43 AM

If you compare the cost of the RV series aircraft kits to other comparable aircraft, it is quite obvious that Van's provides a lot of bang for the buck. You are purchasing an "airframe", period. Engine/prop, electrical, avionics, interior etc: are left to the option of the builder. When I built my early -6, there was no such thing as a FWF kit, and I spent an inordinate amount of time researching and obtaining the parts necessary (no internet or VAF for that matter). Van's FWF kit specific to my engine saved considerable time and money. If you are committed to a -10 build, then the $7k for a FWF kit is money well spent, not to mention you will need those parts anyway.
RV6 #20477 completed 1991 sold.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017
(KOXC)Oxford, CT, (0NY0)North Creek, NY.
1941 J3 Cub skis, floats.
Building Javron Super Cub.
2020 dues gladly paid.

Last edited by Jpm757 : 02-05-2021 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Sp