What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 14 Panel layout options

stevep

Is anyone considering a different layout than the 3 piece panel supplied? not sure how easy it would be to have 2 by 10 inch screens side by side. I feel that the MFD in front of a non flying co-pilot is a waste and too far from the pilot to be useful. Appreciate any views?

I do not have a RV14 but on my 7A I put the 10" screen apart, one in front of the co-pilot and I regretted it. Indeed, I found it too far to view satisfactorily.
Best to you.
Dave

I have an RV6 with two Dynon screens centered on the pilot and copilot. My wife is also a pilot and I don't think I could get away with hogging all the screens on my side.

A 10 inch screen is adequate for each pilot. However, for the RV 14, I thought it would be neat to have a 10 inch screen in front of each pilot and the smaller skyview screen centered in the panel at the top. I can see dedicating that screen to ems at the moment.

Evolving thoughts....

Co-pilot MFD

I have three screens - 5600T : 5500T : 5600T. Both 5600s show EFIS & eng & the 5500 shows map & plates .. The MFD 5600T is backup in the event the primary is lost .. It, also, is useful with a Pilot in the second seat .. I have the 650, ARINC, A/P, & xpndr wired into the pilot 5600.

I shoot approaches relying on the PFD for guidance & 5500T for situational awareness. The second 5600T is backup & well within field-of-vision.

Frankly I would wire the A/P & xpndr into the 5500T for flexibility & to allow the option of set-up chgs in the 5600 without taking the transponder & a/p off-line.

The config gives me fault tolerance & a cross check capability.

Instrument Panel

I have been trying to get a panel from Vans, they inform me that the panels are in the avionics kit still to be released. Like many others I have my instruments and have made my harness and probably don't need much from the avionics kit except the panel. My question is where did you get your panel from? I'd like to acquire the panel and finish my avionics off.

Advanced Flight Systems has already placed one of their new panels in the RV-14 that was at OSH.

Aerosport Products is working on a new carbon fiber panel.

I'm sure that companies like Aerotronics and SteinAir would be more than happy to build a custom panel for you.

Seems like there will be plenty of options as soon as the RV-14 builders start to order their panels.

from what i understand the panel will be a 3 piece panel with a narrower center radio stack section. this is because there is a supporting structure built behind the panel which prevents you from placing two 10 inch EFIS side by side. I was wondering whether anyone has got to this stage of the build yet and deiced to change the structure behind the panel.

Thank you all, chatted to Tim O. think it may be beyond me:(

Will probably stick to dual 10 inch G3x displays in front of pilot and co-pilot with GMC 307 controller, GTR 200 and an airgismo panel mount for mini ipad in the radio stack. Backup adahrs. Remote transponder. anything else for VFR probably redundant.

Back