- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-04-2021, 11:53 AM

Default aileron trim

I have just ordered the QB wing kit and would like to know if I need aileron trim if I am installing a garmin auto pilot system? It sounds like it may be redundant.
Old 02-04-2021, 12:18 PM

Default A/P

Yes, get the aileron trim. The autopilot is not a substitute for trim...

RV-10
Phase I COMPLETE!

Dues+ Paid 2020,...Thanks DR+
Old 02-04-2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckeyone View Post
I have just ordered the QB wing kit and would like to know if I need aileron trim if I am installing a garmin auto pilot system? It sounds like it may be redundant.

I installed it, long ways from flying. I don't believe they are redundant, with the autopilot off it won't have any pressure to trim with.

RV8 N189DK
RV10 in progress
Old 02-04-2021, 03:07 PM

I have a -10, no aileron trim.
When I hand fly in vfr, I donít miss it.
When the TrioPro flies, I donít need it.
When I hand fly in actual IMC, I wish I had it.
So if I were building again, Iíd install it. But so far I havenít retro-fitted it.
Old 02-06-2021, 03:37 AM

Default Trim

Thankyou all for your input. I will install....
Old 04-06-2021, 05:09 AM

Default Aileron Pushrod Bearing Wear from Aileron Trim

The DAR who inspected my RV10 this Saturday (received special airworthiness cert!) said the design of the Aileron Trim Arm (W-1033C) on the Ray Allen Servo puts a rotational load on the Aileron Pushrod (W-1017) which will lead to Rod End Bearing Wear (MD3614M).
He said that the Aileron Trim Arm should be shorter (with a resultant reduction in trim length) or the Aileron Trim Spring Brackets (W-1017B) should be taller.
The way it is now, the springs rotate the Pushrod forward and it doesn't rotate freely
Has anyone experienced issues with wear or shortened the Trim Arm connected to the Ray Allen Servo? The way it is now, the end of the springs are slightly above the Aileron Pushrod so don't have to worry about any wear/scraping but am concerned about the stress on the rod end bearings.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithbr6 View Post
The DAR who inspected my RV10 this Saturday (received special airworthiness cert!) said the design of the Aileron Trim Arm (W-1033C) on the Ray Allen Servo puts a rotational load on the Aileron Pushrod (W-1017) which will lead to Rod End Bearing Wear (MD3614M).
He said that the Aileron Trim Arm should be shorter (with a resultant reduction in trim length) or the Aileron Trim Spring Brackets (W-1017B) should be taller.
The way it is now, the springs rotate the Pushrod forward and it doesn't rotate freely
Has anyone experienced issues with wear or shortened the Trim Arm connected to the Ray Allen Servo? The way it is now, the end of the springs are slightly above the Aileron Pushrod so don't have to worry about any wear/scraping but am concerned about the stress on the rod end bearings.
I suggest this is not an aileron trim problem, this is an aileron trim install problem.

During installation you tighten the rod end bearings when they are in a neutral position - do so after you have the ailerons trim installed. For the springs to aileron push tube attachment, it is not hard to get the springs so they do not rub on the push tube. Just take your time.

Carl
Old 04-06-2021, 12:47 PM

Thanks Carl. I'll give that a try. Was more concerned about the "torqueing" of the tube than the side to side rubbing but will do in the order suggested.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithbr6 View Post
I don't buy that. Don't see how the trim system puts more load on the heim bearing than pilot induced forces during flying. Trim forces are pretty light compared to forces induced via the control stick, which has WAY more leverage (24' vs 1.5"). The bearings are quite strong. I have similar heim bearings, albeit larger, that hold my suspension geometry in place and take most if not ALL suspension load in a cornering maneuver on a 2400 lb cobra kit car. I have all confidence that the little RA servo and it's tiny plastic gears cannot put excessive loads om my steel heim bearings. Also confident in the Vans Engineers that they didn't overlook this and trust them more than a DAR. This is a critical safety of flight issue and there is little evidence that the Vans Engineers are anything but diligent and conservative in this area.

While I haven't looked at the specs, I suspect that the Heims will take a significant radial load, well beyond what a light spring can induce. If your control arm is not rotating freely in the radial axis, I suggest you have a geometry problem at the control stick interfaces. It takes a bit of trial and error to get full range of motion there, by adjusting the angle of the heim until it doesn't bind throughout the stick's full range of travel.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 04-07-2021 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-07-2021, 01:25 PM

I ended up cutting the trim arm by 3/4" and drilling new holes. The springs now run parallel across the pushrod and there is rotational play in the pushrod. Was not able to get any rotational play with the pushrod when the trim arm rose above the pushrod. And, easier to get the access panel back in place - before it took quite a push as the springs needed to expand