Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2021, 05:09 PM

Default Trailing edges: tape or sealant?

I know this has been discussed quite a bit but... I started on the tail kit yesterday by reading chapters 1 thru 5 again. Chapter 5 tells how to do the trailing edges with the 3M tape. It even gives the part number for the tape. It mentions that the sealant method was used in the past. I went ahead and ordered the 3M tape that is called for. So today I get to chapter 7, Rudder. Chapter 7 says to use tank sealant on the trailing edge. It does not mention the tape method at all. Very contradictory. A 180 degree flip from chapter 5 to 7.

Is there any reason not to use the tape? Iím inclined to try the tape unless Iím missing something. What have others done and what was the result?
Thanks.
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=rallen
Old 03-20-2021, 05:31 PM

I believe the section 7 instructions for the RV-10 were written before Van's began recommending the 3M tape. I've read good things about both and I'm waiting for my 3M tape to arrive so I can rivet my rudder and elevator trailing edges.

Ontario, Canada

Building an RV-10
Old 03-20-2021, 05:44 PM

Hard to beat the results I had using Proseal on the first RV-10, so I'm doing the same on the new RV-10.

Carl
Old 03-20-2021, 06:16 PM

Default Both

I've used both and it comes down to two simple choices. Both work perfectly well. If you have proseal and a few days to let it cure...use it. If you are short on time or don't have any extra proseal...use the tape.

The tape is quick but it is also a little harder to apply because once the tape touches the metal it sticks....period. If you aren't perfectly aligned when it touches you have to remove the wedge, clean up the surfaces and try again. Not hard to do but a little more time consuming. Once you get the hang of it its not that hard to do. Proseal gives you lots of time to fidget with the wedge and make sure everything is in place...but you have to wait for it to set up and that takes days.
RV-10 Building - Working on the last 90%
www.DarinAnderson.com
2021 donation sent!
Old 03-20-2021, 06:32 PM

I used both. If I were doing again I would use all tape. Recommend making sure tape is warm, I heated trailing edges with a hair dryer and then left it clecoed for 24 hrs to get to full strength per 3M's instructions.
2017 Waco YMF-5
Kit # 140694
Started October 22, 2019
Engine, prop, and cowling to complete
2021 Dues Paid
Old 03-21-2021, 01:29 PM

Thanks for the replyís. Iím gonna try the tape method. Still a way out from doing it. Iíll let you know how it goes.
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=rallen
Old 03-21-2021, 03:18 PM

Don't bother with either but have a rather large back riveting plate......

Donated in 2020
Old 03-21-2021, 03:46 PM

This may sound harsh, but isn't intended that way. Proseal vs tape really doesn't matter. Both methods work.

This is the paralysis of analysis that kills progress. There are a thousand of these little choices that have been proven to work 2, 5, or eleventeen different ways. Pick a method and move forward. Don't agonize over the small things.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 03-22-2021, 02:31 AM

But Kyle..... If I don't use the right primer, tape, seal, my airplane will surely fall to dust....

Donated in 2020
Old 03-22-2021, 08:53 AM

Default Analysis Paralysis?

Kyle, true, at some point folks need to just pick a method and go, (do you prefer Coke or Pepsi?), but if we all just "did" something and never talked about it, what would be the point of the forum? Your response comes across as "stop asking and just do it", and my guess is you don't mean it that way.

Every time someone new comes across the same points those before them previously experienced, I think it's good to ask and answer.

Maybe tape vs sealant should have it's own "never ending debate" thread?

Personally, I do the tape; it's less messy, doesn't stink and takes less preparation. and clean up. Plus it has a longer shelf life.

pro's and con's to the many ways to get the job done; I enjoy reading about folks experiences.

- RV10, N762G, Build in progress.
- Several others that are now just great memories for me.