- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-27-2021, 07:51 PM

Default Choices!

I have built and owned both an RV9A and now an RV8, but I did all of the test flying on a friendís RV7. They are all excellent aircraft. I was very impressed with the 9a, very straight forward and comfortable to fly. I donít think that the 7 is the slightest bit twitchy, but as you describe your purposes, I would recommend the 9A. The control harmony of them all is very good, but I think that perhaps the 9A Ishtar be marginally more comfortable for cross country trips. Mine was fully upholstered with sound deadening material fitted. It was very fully equipped for instrument flight, with a good autopilot. Early in the test phase I was faced with an engine out landing with a 20 kt direct crosswind. There was absolutely no drama the aircraft felt so solid, except for the embarrassment of having to call for a tow to get my beautiful new aircraft off the taxiway.

In my opinion you just canít go wrong with either model. By your comments, I think your choice of an A model is a good one. My only other comment would be that regardless of Vanís quest for lightness, these designs are so good that I wouldnít be concerned about one that is well equipped, but a little heavier than some.

Finally, choose the best one in your price range and enjoy it.....CHECK YOUR INSURANCE FIRST!

Good luck with the search, Brent
Old 02-27-2021, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopGT View Post
Aerobatics is low on my list but want the option to be there.
If you want the option to be there, then take the 9A out of the mix; it isnít the plane for you.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:52 PM

To clarify...it's not that the RV-9A can't do aerobatics, it's that the RV-9A isn't approved for aerobatics. They are specifically prohibited as part of the operating limitations.

Also note that the RV-7 / 7A is approved for aerobatics only if the plane is at 1600 lbs gross weight or less.
AFS 5400/3500, G5, 430W, some other stuff
Old 02-27-2021, 09:54 PM

Default Just Me

Two comments:
The 9A is not approved for aerobatics, and none should be attempted because the G rating of the wings is only 4.4Gs. Possibly bent if aerobatics turns out bad.

But the 9A makes up for lack of aerobatics in high altitude cruise, or so people say.

From what i have read on the forums, most 7 drivers cruise at 8K, and most 9A drivers cruise at 12K or higher. The higher the cruise altitude, the less fuel burn.

I am curious from those who have flown both cross country, is it true the 7A tends to cruise tail low at altitude?

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
Tail 98% done
Wings 98% done
Fuselage Kit 98% done
Finishing Kit 35% canopy done for now
Electrical 85% in work
Firewall Forward 5% in work
Fiberglass 0%, thought i was building in metal?
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com

Last edited by PilotjohnS : 02-27-2021 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-28-2021, 05:35 AM

Go for the 7. Fits what you want and leaves options opened as you stated. JMO
Old 02-28-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
.....CHECK YOUR INSURANCE FIRST!
What exactly do I need to be looking for and concerned about with insurance? I understand it is not cheap, but hey thatís the hobby.

Will I have trouble getting insurance being a first time builder with just over 200 hours?
Old 02-28-2021, 07:16 AM

Quote:
What exactly do I need to be looking for and concerned about with insurance? I understand it is not cheap, but hey thatís the hobby.

Will I have trouble getting insurance being a first time builder with just over 200 hours?
I have a post about an insurance quote that I received. Check it out, similar data points to what you would need. Wasnít going to be an issue to get insurance and was around a 2 grand a year premium.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:30 AM

Quote:
What exactly do I need to be looking for and concerned about with insurance? I understand it is not cheap, but hey that’s the hobby.

Insurance questions here will net you a lot of anecdotes and opinions, but only in a general way might it be directly applicable to you. There are a LOT of variables that the underwriters take into account, and I suspect a certain amount of arbitrariness. I'd recommend directly asking those questions of an actual aviation insurance broker. Leah Ringeisen ( LRingeisen ) posts here a lot -- send her a PM, or call of email. She also answers her phone, will call you back, and does respond promptly to email. She is knowledgeable and helpful, and specializes in insurance policies for Van's RVs. She would likely be far more able to answer questions about the effects of things like hours, experience, ratings, and type of aircraft. As a broker, she has access to many different insurance companies, all of which have different policies, different costs, different interpretation of the level of risk that YOU pose to their company. You'd want to know the effect of 200 hours TT in an Experimental airplane in which you'll be doing some aerobatics. My insurance rates for my -9A are reasonable, but I know that aerobatics was a big question that the underwriter had and is a specific exclusion on my policy. My policy is $1500/year. So far....
AFS 5400/3500, G5, 430W, some other stuff

Last edited by MacCool : 02-28-2021 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:14 AM

Last month I got my RV9A insured. It hasn't flown yet, hope to do the first flight this week. 1 mil liability, 80K hull was $1100.00 through Traverse Aviation Ins. They also have my 150 and 172 ins.
I have 40 hrs RV9A time in my brother's -9A, 1100 hrs TT. I did not have builder's risk insurance.
Donated
Old 02-28-2021, 09:38 AM

RV-9A, 100K hull, $1000 thru Gallagher. 44 yrs flying, no accidents, claims or any aircraft damage. now I'm jinxed.

Simplicity is the art in design.
I was born an airplane nut. I have no explanation for it.
My Artwork is freely given and published and cannot be patented.
www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 02-28-2021 at 09:41 AM.