What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Andair Fuel Pump Failure

TCONROY

Well Known Member
I have an Andair fuel pump that I bought at Sun n' Fun several years ago. We just put some fuel in the tanks and wanted to purge the system and test the pump. I put 2 gallons or so in the left wing and selected the left tank on the selector and then hit the pump switch. It made a noise for about 3-4 seconds and then went silent. I flipped the switch off. Flipped it back on and same thing, makes a noise for a few seconds and then stops.
I used a siphon to draw fuel through the system by disconnecting the line that goes to the FI throttle body. Fuel came out just fine so I know the system isn't blocked. All B-nuts are secured so doubtful air is getting in the system.
I have heard of issues with these Andair pumps after sitting for several years but now I can't find any of the threads that discuss the issue and possible solutions.
I left a message with Andair but don't expect to hear back until Monday. Any suggestions?

I think Shannon is right. There was an old process that Andair used that caused this to happen in pumps stored for a long time before use. They were able to repair it and has worked flawlessly since.

Fwiw, I had one of these flying since 2009 and it works flawlessly. It's very quiet and was very simple to install compared to other options.

Thanks for the comments all. I was able to get in contact with Owen at Andair on Monday and sent my pump in for repair. He said they should be able to turn it around in a day.

WOW Trevor.
Gee--wouldnt it be nice to have a spare pump to use while yours is in for repair?

Tom

Tom, yes it would! I sent my pump FedEx International 3-day and will get it sent back the same method so I shouldn't be delayed too much. Our inspection is next Wednesday and I plan to start the engine right after it is complete.

I would encourage folks that have a pump manufactured prior to 2012 to run fuel through it every few months to make sure it does not seize up.

Kudos to Andair!

I am happy to report that I shipped my pump to Andair on Monday and they received Friday morning. They had it repaired (completely overhauled in fact) and back out the door within a few hours. I spoke with Andy on the phone Thursday morning and he told me they just didn't expect these pumps to sit on the shelf for so many years. Pumps manufactured after 2011 are flushed of fuel and filled with a preservation oil to prevent corrosion and seizing of the internal parts.
Kudos to Andair for getting my pump turned around so quickly and providing excellent customer service!

Ahh... Looks like I need to give Andair a call.

I have a pump purchased through a group deal on this site several years ago (about 2009). Just now ran my first test with pump installed after being on the shelf for about 6 years. BTW, I only removed the caps and plumbed the pump about 6 months ago. Never out of the box before that.

Bumped power on - nothing. Tried again - nothing. Verified wiring correct with good continuity. Reconnected and powered on again to check voltage at pump. 10 Amp breaker tripped after about 5 seconds. Put an ammeter in line, reset breaker, and tried again. Nothing - and only a 38mA draw. Looks like my efforts to see what was wrong have now lead to an open circuit inside the controller or the pump.

I too, have the Andair pump, and it had been sitting in my unfinished plane for a few years. Trevor is a good friend, and when I heard his story last spring, I decided to try and run some fuel through my pump. I bought a new 5-gallon gas can and bought several gallons of 100LL. I took the pump out of my plane and set it all up on the bench, since my wings aren't on yet. I siphoned fuel through the pump to make sure it was primed, and then hooked up 12V power to it. The same thing Trevor described happened. DRAT!!

Fast forward several months. I had put off sending my pump back to England, and now I had a chance to go to Oshkosh. Figuring I could visit their booth at Osh, I went out to the shop to box up the pump to take with me. Since it was still set up for testing, I thought, what the heck... try it one more time. Well... this time when I hooked it up to the battery, it worked great! Pumps fuel like crazy!

I figured since it had been sitting there wet with fuel since my earlier test, all the "stickiness" had been dissolved by the fuel, apparently, and now it works perfectly. Since then, every 6 or 8 weeks I have been running some fuel through it, just to keep it wet and run it a few minutes. No problems whatsoever. I hope this helps somebody. Siphon some fuel through it and let it sit for a while, it may clear it up! :)

Early Pump

I bought one of the first Andair fuel pumps & installed it immediately. It worked as advertised for a period and then went dead. After repair & installation it worked well. Their response and turnaround was excellent.

Back