Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdp7427 View Post
Are any of you other pilot guys and gals here planners…??? :-D
I certainly am, and have a spreadsheet set up to figure out when I need to order what pieces to stay on schedule. Of course, I set this up once I had an idea of my actual working pace in my first kit, and then discovered the lead times had changed and I was already 5 months late ordering my next kit!!!

Like you I'm in the "parts being produced" state, just hoping that the "estimated crating date" I was given when I ordered is somewhere in the ball park. I sure would like to know whether it was realistic, though. I hope some of the changes they mentioned in the video that will allow automated date estimates come to pass quickly.
Old 01-19-2022, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8ER View Post
Greg,
Did I hear that the pre Dec 15 2021 ordered QB kits would have the freight surcharge rolled back? Or was the comment referencing that it had been rolled back to what was emailed ($375 surcharge I think?).
We've decided not to implement the QB surcharge that was announced - so "rolled back" is a fairly accurate way to describe it. A couple of people proactively sent their surcharge payments in right away and we will either reimburse or apply toward existing or future order(s), as the customer wishes.

FYI, the original purpose of the surcharge was to recoup a minor fraction (approximately 15-20%) of the increased costs of overseas transportation, which is a cost we have no control over. Feedback was mixed, and while the majority of that feedback was supportive we determined the time spent dealing with the loudest complaints was going to cost significantly more in goodwill and progress than preventing the loss was worth. Some of the customers who would have been impacted have already been waiting quite a while - often because of the replacements we had to produce to rectify the primer issue from last year. So, as a matter of goodwill we decided it was better to forego the surcharge this time. We still need (of course) to ensure we're not operating at a loss as we move forward, and we will make business decisions accordingly. Our primary purpose in business is to ensure that we can continue to be here for all builders, for a very long time. We've been doing this for 50 years. We plan to be around for at least 50 more.

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XP IO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Aurora, OR (EAA Chapter 105)

Old 01-19-2022, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenstar View Post
I hope some of the changes they mentioned in the video that will allow automated date estimates come to pass quickly.
Our team is working aggressively on it, but as we described in the video update the refactoring process is complex with multiple manufacturing vendors being added in addition to the volume. Initially, we will be able to provide delivery timeframe info to people with orders that are closer in. The team is working on ability to provide info for everyone's orders, but the kits that are closest to being ready on the list are the first priority for establishing and communicating dates right now. I wish I could just tell you right now when to expect the info. I can confirm it's a lot of late nights and weekends for many people who are working to get to that point. As Rian mentioned, the information will be developed and become available over time.

Shameless Plug: For anyone who believes they can contribute, we're hiring for our needs now and in the future. So if you work and play well with others in real life maybe consider moving to Oregon and joining the team. It's certainly stressful right now as we do all of this work to make all of these changes, but it's an amazing group of people here and a terrific place to work. And once we're back to fulfilling orders in a timely manner and RV kits are readily available again, the employee discount on kits for those who want to build an RV ain't too bad either! I mean, if you wanted to build (another) one.

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XP IO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Aurora, OR (EAA Chapter 105)

Old 01-19-2022, 02:36 PM

Greg thanks for the update, and for all you’re doing to manage the issues and complexities. I’ll do my best impression of myself as a kid (im)patiently waiting for Christmas as we await further updates…!

Patrick
Old 01-19-2022, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghughespdx View Post
... The team is working on ability to provide info for everyone's orders, but the kits that are closest to being ready on the list are the first priority for establishing and communicating dates right now. ...
Greg,

Can you provide any information on what you would consider "closest to being ready"?

Can we glean any information from the fact we have no estimates on KitStatus page? For example, would it be at least 2 month, 3 months or even 6 months out as it isn't "close in" with date estimate given?
Lake Stevens WA
Indycanard at yahoo dot com
Cozy IV (N85TT)
Long-EZ (building, N925EZ reserved)
RV-10 #42583 Waiting on empennage, but I received the wings and fuselage. I started Chap 21, Ailerons
Old 01-24-2022, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indycanard View Post
Greg,

Can you provide any information on what you would consider "closest to being ready"?

Can we glean any information from the fact we have no estimates on KitStatus page? For example, would it be at least 2 month, 3 months or even 6 months out as it isn't "close in" with date estimate given?
YES! I have this same question. There has been information about the problems with the supply chain and actions taken, which is understandable and great, but nothing regarding what that looks like for customers. Something (and window of dates) would be better than nothing. Waiting on the slow build empennage and wing kit with “Parts Being Produced” while also having a QB Fuselage on order with a date range in 2023. I would love to have a date range for the SB stuff. Tired of the “we will update you soon” I’ve heard for the last couple months. What is soon?

Again, I understand the delays, I just don’t understand the inability to give a date range for SB stuff while giving date ranges for the QB kits next year.

Jeremy Fradet
Old 01-24-2022, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmattmul View Post
Greg, thanks. Operating overseas with well intended economics sounds nice and it could be the preverbal win-win. I’ve seen it over and over someone comes up with an idea that seems to make since, even improve quality and turns into a disaster. All well intended. Glad you have boots on the ground. We have found that if we did not have permanent employees in Asia now with Covid restrictions almost impossible to have them travel back and forth. This is mostly an issue in our China operations.
The Philippines QB operation has been active for quite a while. Other than the recent corrosion/primer change (by the vendor) issue there has been very little major issues that I know of. It is not a new endeavor.

RV14A Tail kit 95%
Wing kit 95%
Fuselage QB stuck in China virus corrosion purgatory

RV 14 WIKI in Drop Box

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xu5p6f4l7...bU0ck0pJa?dl=0

---For Edit Access drop me a PM with your Email address.

EAA 1300
Donation Paid 18,19,20,21 Military exempt
Old 01-24-2022, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jromy View Post
… but nothing regarding what that looks like for customers. Something (and window of dates) would be better than nothing. …

Again, I understand the delays, I just don’t understand the inability to give a date range for SB stuff while giving date ranges for the QB kits next year.

Jeremy Fradet
This is what we’re all hoping to see soon. A broad estimate at a minimum rather than a completely unspecified open-ended indefinite “stand by.” As of now I suppose I have to just assume the entire lead time posted for a new order is what I’m in for until we hear otherwise.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:29 PM

Or just have a countdown of position in line. Send out updates every two weeks or something. Like if I know that I'm number 200, then I go to 100, then 50 that I'd better liquidate some funds and get my cash ready.
Old 01-26-2022, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdp7427 View Post
This is what we’re all hoping to see soon. A broad estimate at a minimum rather than a completely unspecified open-ended indefinite “stand by.” As of now I suppose I have to just assume the entire lead time posted for a new order is what I’m in for until we hear otherwise.
+1
Ordered SB wing kit 8 months ago. Estimated delivery date passed with zero communication. Called Van’s and got the, we don’t have an estimate and hope to have a new estimate “soon”. It is nice to have an estimate but it’s more important to know when an estimate will no longer be met.
The problem is lack of communication. Clearly customers just want semi regular updates even if it’s bad news. We feel like stood up dates if estimates pass without any communication.

Last edited by RV8Bob : 01-26-2022 at 09:49 AM.