Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Regional Forums > Canada
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2009, 09:45 AM

Default UPS without brokerage fee

My experience has been sometimes large brokerage fee, sometimes not!
The way I understand it is if it goes UPS Ground there is a large brokerage fee, however if it goes UPS Air, there is no brokerage fee! Go figure...
Old 12-03-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-force View Post
Ahem, working for a company ships millions internationally...its not the shippers, its Canada. No other country in the world is a much of a pain to ship to. No other customers give us more grief than Canadians about trying to get us to falsify invoices and shipping docs so they can avoid the taxes/tarrifs, etc. I agree, shipping UPS to Canada is expensive, but thats not the shippers problem if the customer does not specify a shipping carrier. The UPS truck is at my shop twice a day and the default shipper, it takes a special call to get the Fed-X truck there.

Well, thats a polite statement.

Fact of the matter is in my case and most other canadian builders..it isnt the duty, it isnt the taxes. Its the money grab from the shippers. They do up the paperwork and show it on duty/brokerage forms and if the tax is $14, if you read the fine print...its plust $75 admin fee. It has nothing at all to do with true duty or taxes, or the shipping costs...its simply a money grab by the shippers. If its so much trouble shipping to us Canadians, do us all a favour and dont trouble yourself.

Flew to Osh 11,12,15,17,19. SNF 2013. West to Cali /Washington/Vancouver/crossed the Rockies north to Red Deer east to Moosonee and over to maritimes. South to Jekyll Isl, cedar key, and Key West etc. 6 trips and 17 islands of the Bahamas. Flown turtles and dogs for Pilots n Paws too. Love our Rv's
Old 12-03-2009, 01:00 PM

I apologize if that sounded rude, was not my intentions. Just pointing out shipping to Canada is a special case, and sometimes requires different shipping methods than other countrys. I've always been told by our customers it the taxes/dutys that kills them, hence they often want us to put "replacement" or "warranty repair" on the shipping docs. If its a straight up money grab from UPS, then I really understand your frustration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickWoodall View Post
Well, thats a polite statement.

Fact of the matter is in my case and most other canadian builders..it isnt the duty, it isnt the taxes. Its the money grab from the shippers. They do up the paperwork and show it on duty/brokerage forms and if the tax is $14, if you read the fine print...its plust $75 admin fee. It has nothing at all to do with true duty or taxes, or the shipping costs...its simply a money grab by the shippers. If its so much trouble shipping to us Canadians, do us all a favour and dont trouble yourself.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:51 PM

Default Not duty or taxes

Just to add a little clarity:

There is no duty for items made in the USA thanks to the free trade agreement.

Taxes on goods brought into Canada from any other country are the same as if they were purchased inside Canada. For items under ~$50 sent by Post, or brought across personally, even these taxes are often waived as not being work the hassle to collect.

The exhorbitant fees are charged by the shipping companies for doing the paperwork.

As has been mentioned, Aircraft Spruce has this figured out in Canada, I always call direct to their Ontario location.

We have as many people in this country who try to cheat the system as any other country, but we try to do it politely, eh?
F1 EVO Rocket, first flight May 31/14
First in line for the Sonex JSX-2T kit
Old 12-03-2009, 03:16 PM

Default business to business, UPS not so bad for fees.

Business to business, the brokerage fee is whatever % of value you've worked out with your broker.

But the basic fees are:

GST 5%
PST 5% (Saskatchewan)
$5 per item to cover the gov't paperwork and labour.
DUTY = 0 due to NAFTA

Point to point inside the USA, we often use UPS.
Point to point inside Canada, we use UPS occasionally.
Crossing the border, no UPS.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:28 PM

I had a reasonably good experience with UPS this week. I was getting a Hartzell prop from Ohio. Apparently they normally use UPS and I didn't want to throw them any curves. I did, however, tell them that I would be self-clearing the shipment. The first time I went to Customs at Pearson they told me that I couldn't pay the HST until the shipment was in Canada and that I needed a Cargo Control Document (CCD) and a commercial invoice. I returned to Customs when the shipment was in Windsor with my CCD and invoice. Then I was told I needed to either go to Windsor or have the shipment come in bond to Toronto. Instead I went on-line to Clearit Canada and had them clear the shipment. Everything with them is done online and the total cost is $49.95 plus the HST plus 5% of the HST (to cover their cost of being paid by credit card, I believe). It was handled within a few hours. They gave me a pdf file to forward to UPS and the shipment was delivered to me in Oshawa by UPS the next day. The $50+$74 cost seemed pretty reasonable for a $12K item. I think I'll go that route again.
Dues paid July 2020

Last edited by Glen P : 07-17-2020 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:43 PM

Default Again, Don't ship UPS to Canada (HUGE brokerage fee)

Part of the problem with UPS is many vendors ship UPS Standard. This level of service has onerous customs clearance fees across the border. Other levels of service have the customs clearance fees included in the shipping price. Check carefully and advise your vendors which level of service you want.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:08 AM

What are the brokerage fees one can expect on a standard empennage kit delivered to the Edmonton area?

What are the experiences builders have had shipping to Canada? Any advice when shipping the large parts lists from VANS?
Old 08-12-2020, 11:23 AM

Talk to Vans shipping dept for their recommendations.
Generally FedEx Express (included brokerage) would be cheaper than UPS Standard by a far shot. Arrange to self clear if at all possible.
For the big shipments, definitely self clear.

Oh, & be prepared for the 10% aluminum tariff...
Old 08-12-2020, 02:58 PM

Default a few notes

It's worth noting that US Postal Service has been very hit-or-miss with their international deliveries since COVID started to disrupt everything. Things are much better US to Canada but I think it's still a bit of a roll of the dice.

For context, we had some customers wait 3+ months for items to be delivered to international destinations beginning in March of this year. Fortunately Canada was a better situation and no one Canadians had to wait quite that long.

If you've got a vendor that insists on shipping via UPS for some reason, it's worth asking them to ship it UPS Air (the official name of the service is UPS Worldwide Expedited) and not to use UPS Ground. For reasons I don't quite understand, the Ground service is less expensive but subject to a random and usually onerous brokerage fee. The Air service just... doesn't I guess.

Blake Frazier
Co-owner of Flyboy Accessories
VAF Advertiser

2021 Dues Paid 1/7/21