Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:32 PM

Default Build or Buy?

Hello,

I am interested in the opinion of other members regarding the following:

1. Is it better to purchase a completed RV and upgrade to what I want, or build and get exactly what I want? (Keep in mind that I would utilize a builder assist program should I choose to build).

2. If I were to build, is it better to purchase a partial build, or start from scratch?

Thank-you for your thoughts.

Joe
Old 01-08-2021, 12:37 PM

Default 1 question

Do you want an airplane or do you want to build an airplane? If the answer is the former, buy an airplane. The only way you will be able to stay motivated to finish a project of this magnitude is if you enjoy the project itself. Plenty of people who wanted any airplane have started building one only to never finish it.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:37 PM

How old are you? Are you retired so you have time to do a lot of building? How good are you at making parts with precision? Do you like to fly or build? Waht is the real total price when it's all said and done versus buying one and flying it now while changing a few things to make it "mine"?

These are just some of the questions I asked myself when I was thinking about the same thing as you. some answers will make the build longer or shorter while others will be the deference between enjoying the building experience or getting tired of building while others are out there flying.
Sadly sold my RV-8 N52VM however I'm still trying to enjoy life by creating an airport with FREE campsites for pilots to come visit www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/ WHILE WAITING FOR THE HIGH WING RV15 !

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Old 01-08-2021, 01:09 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF

Joe, welcome aboard the good ship VAF

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 01-08-2021, 01:18 PM

If getting a flyable airplane matters most, buy one, if you can find one.

If saving money matters most, build it, using slow-build kits and no builder assist. Except that if it's an RV-3, buy a flying one, they are cheaper than the cost to build.

From your post, it sounds like a custom-built airplane will suit you best. Please stay within the rules for amateur-built aircraft while you navigate that.

Dave
Slow-building an RV-3B
Old 01-08-2021, 01:24 PM

Default Buy it

I don't usually like to get involved in this type of discussion, but...

In 2012 I purchased a flying RV4, and in 2015 I purchased a flying RV8. Over the last 9 years I have learned a lot about RVs, and I've made many small/significant changes to these airplanes. I've learned construction techniques and maintenance procedures. Thus I have experienced the joy of building to some extent.

But when I show up at fly-ins I'm frequently asked the question, "Did you build it?" And I just say, "Nope, I just fly it".

Regardless of your choice, my advice is "Do it". These are wonderful airplanes, you will make a lot of good friends, and you will never regret it.
RV8 N37PK
Old 01-08-2021, 01:31 PM

I am 35, I always wanted to build an RV. I feel like I have the skills to do it and the shop space but I don't have the time and money. Therefore we purchased an RV6-A and love it. Hopefully one day I can build an aircraft but now what little free time I have I spend it flying.
Old 01-08-2021, 02:16 PM

Iíd rather fly than build and donít really have the time or the resources to do both, so I bought an RV-9A a few months ago. Iíve spent enough time here on VAF as well as tinkering and adding to that plane that I have become completely convinced that that was absolutely the right choice for me. I respect those who commit to the building process but itís become crystal clear that itís not for me. On the positive side....that plane is a blast to fly.
Old 01-08-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRacer View Post
I don't usually like to get involved in this type of discussion, but...when I show up at fly-ins I'm frequently asked the question, "Did you build it?" And I just say, "Nope, I just fly it".
When I get asked that question my usual retort is: Do I look crazy???

I then go on to explain that I've done enough work on it I feel like I've become competent doing my own repairs and maintenance.

-Marc
Old 01-08-2021, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerorange View Post
The only way you will be able to stay motivated to finish a project of this magnitude is if you enjoy the project itself.
t.
There is the answer.
For myself, the building experience was a joy. Iím glad I did it. But I also waited until retirement. I didnít think I had time for a full time job, family life, and building, all at the same time. For me, I still think that was the right call. Everyone is different, but few who consider building Ďworkí ever finish.