-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-25-2021, 11:12 AM

Just some observations for you guys running the ballenger wideband. I installed one in my plane last week. The displayed A/F on the SDS (set to AEM- new) does not match the display by quite a bit sometimes. The AEM controller's range is 8.5-18.0 and the Ballenger is 6.0-20.0. I have the 0-5V going to my G3X and am able to set the gauge up to match the Ballenger display exactly. The plane hasn't flown with it yet, but on the ground I saw as much as .8 difference. Hopefully the sensor lasts a lot longer!
Old 01-25-2021, 11:28 AM

Good you can get translation to the G3X display, I'll have to mention that to a couple buddies with that equipment.
As for the imperfect translation to the SDS display, for me not a notable issue, as in real operation, I wouldn't be running in those extreme ends of the scale.
Old 01-25-2021, 12:18 PM

The range doesn't matter, the displayed and logged AFR will always be wrong.

AEM(new) AFR=8.5+Vout*1.9

Ballenger AFR=6+Vout*2.8

So when your AFR is indicating 12.3 on the SDS display it is really 11.6, about 6% richer.
Old 01-25-2021, 01:50 PM

Default Screenshots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclemens View Post
I have the 0-5V going to my G3X and am able to set the gauge up to match the Ballenger display exactly.
I have had the Ballenger unit installed for a couple of years now & will be upgrading to the G3X later this year. Can you share screenshots of the AFR sensor display on the G3X? I'm designing my panel and have debated whether I want to include space for a dedicated display of the AFR reading, aside from that on the G3X.

From my research, setting up the G3X to display an analog-to-digital sensor reading like this is very simple. What I haven't explored is the screen real estate you can dedicate to displaying the gauge so you can always have it in sight. Do you know if you can display multiple custom sensors like this, and if so how many? I have a few other things I'd like to put there.

Thanks!
David
AFP Fuel Injection & Dual SDS CPI-2 ignition
KLZU - Lawrenceville, GA
2020 Dues Paid
Old 01-25-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carter View Post
I have had the Ballenger unit installed for a couple of years now & will be upgrading to the G3X later this year. Can you share screenshots of the AFR sensor display on the G3X? I'm designing my panel and have debated whether I want to include space for a dedicated display of the AFR reading, aside from that on the G3X.

From my research, setting up the G3X to display an analog-to-digital sensor reading like this is very simple. What I haven't explored is the screen real estate you can dedicate to displaying the gauge so you can always have it in sight. Do you know if you can display multiple custom sensors like this, and if so how many? I have a few other things I'd like to put there.

Thanks!
David
I see no reason to have it displayed anywhere else. You can display multiple custom guages/sensors/discretes etc. There is a limit, but it's a lot and it's based on how many "ports" you have used for other things. Having everything on the G3X gives you the advantage of the G3X logging it every flight all the time. I'll snap some pics next chance I get, but its just a vertical tape with an number above it. How many hours are you getting from the O2 sensor?
Old 01-25-2021, 02:55 PM

Quote:
You can display multiple custom guages/sensors/discretes etc. There is a limit, but it's a lot and it's based on how many "ports" you have used for other things.
That's good to hear. I want to bring in ignition advance data from the SDS CPI-2, the AFR data, and probably a couple of other things.

Quote:
Having everything on the G3X gives you the advantage of the G3X logging it every flight all the time.
That's a big reason I want to bring the AFR & advance data over, to have it logged in the same place with all the other engine & flight parameters for further analysis.

Quote:
I'll snap some pics next chance I get, but its just a vertical tape with an number above it.
Thanks! I look forward to seeing it.

Quote:
How many hours are you getting from the O2 sensor?
I have about 80 hours on my first NTK production-grade sensor. Fingers crossed that it keeps going at least that much longer.
KLZU - Lawrenceville, GA
2020 Dues Paid
Old 01-26-2021, 06:56 AM

I would also like to bring in more parameters from the EM5, but I believe the data is in an RS232 stream. One could build a box to decode it and output the various parameters as 0-5V signals or hi/lo discrete's, but we would probably need SDS to help with that. I am hoping that external gauge output is a feature in the EM6.
Old 01-26-2021, 07:36 AM

Quote:
I would also like to bring in more parameters from the EM5, but I believe the data is in an RS232 stream. One could build a box to decode it and output the various parameters as 0-5V signals or hi/lo discrete's, but we would probably need SDS to help with that. I am hoping that external gauge output is a feature in the EM6.
Yes, the CPI-2 has an RS-232 serial interface. This is designed for use with the PC-based logging application. I've had some communication with SDS on this, and have started work on an Arduino-based converter box that will read the parameters from the RS-232 data stream & output each one as a separate analog voltage value, similar to what comes out of the Ballenger box. The conversion to & from analog introduces some room for error, but it's the best we can do if the G3X only accepts analog signals. (Voltage, resistance, etc.)
KLZU - Lawrenceville, GA
2020 Dues Paid
Old 01-26-2021, 07:46 AM

Let me know when I can order that box from ya!
Old 01-26-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Let me know when I can order that box from ya!
Fair warning - I'm slow! I tinker with this stuff "when I have time", which isn't as often as I'd like.

I imagine that the EM-5 uses a similar RS-232 protocol, but that needs to be verified. What values would you want to bring over from the EM-5 to the G3X?

David
KLZU - Lawrenceville, GA
2020 Dues Paid