- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-21-2021, 06:10 PM

Just some thoughts;

How old are your grandkids? They grow fast, so if you build, by the time it's done your mission may have changed completely.

Have either of them flown with you yet? It would be great if they were crazy about airplanes, but my kids are 20 and 22 and even though they grew up in an airplane family and both mom & dad worked for Cessna, neither of them were particularly excited by it. Maybe with my kids it was just the "familiarity breeds contempt" thing, but are you sure it will be as fun for them as it will be for you?

If it works out like you hope, seems like a 10 fits the mission, but so does a C182 which you can buy for 1/2 the price of a 10. If not, then seems like a 2 seat is the way to go.
Fuselage in process
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...t=all&listcat=
Old 01-21-2021, 11:18 PM

I can't answer your question, but I can propose some options:
Option 1) Build a 10, fly rentals in the mean time.
Option 2) Buy a 4 seat, 172, Cherokee, Musketeer, 182, whatever you want to afford and fly it while building a 14. Decide to keep or sell later.
Option 3) Same as option 2, but build a 9. Fits your mission, saves some money. Maybe enough to buy a Cherokee.
Option 4) Build a 14 or 9 and join a club to have access to a 4 Place.

Questions to ask yourself:
- How much money and when can you spend it?
- When do you need these machines? You already know kids grow fast and once they hit high school they do their own thing.
- How much time to build is it going to take?

HTH

Tim
Old 01-22-2021, 12:08 AM

[quote=tjo;1496417]I can't answer your question, but I can propose some options:
Option 1) Build a 10, fly rentals in the mean time.
Option 2) Buy a 4 seat, 172, Cherokee, Musketeer, 182, whatever you want to afford and fly it while building a 14. Decide to keep or sell later.
Option 3) Same as option 2, but build a 9. Fits your mission, saves some money. Maybe enough to buy a Cherokee.
Option 4) Build a 14 or 9 and join a club to have access to a 4 Place.

Questions to ask yourself:
- How much money and when can you spend it?
- When do you need these machines? You already know kids grow fast and once they hit high school they do their own thing.
- How much time to build is it going to take?

Thanks guys for the ideas. I never thought about flying the -14 to an airport, rent a 4 place and fly to pick up the grand kids. They are 4 and 1 now. The 4 year old has NOT been flying with me yet. She has been flying commercial with us and really enjoys sitting by the window. We make paper airplanes and have flying competitions (she always wins, I hope that is not a bad omen for my building skills).

It looks like I will be permanent work from home until I retire in 5 years so this is why I am pulling ahead my timeline and putting the wings in motion. I could easily dedicate 3 hours per weekday and unlimited on the weekends. I have a shop just big enough to build. I am an automotive engineer and I understand assembly processes/equipment so this should be a big help.

Money is always a problem, right? However, I will not have any payments in retirement except I will finance the RV. I will purchase the emp and fuse with cash and finance the rest. I cannot justify pulling money out of my retirement at 8-10% returns when I can borrow from my credit union for 20 years max at 4-5%. Momma has told me I get to pick one, airplane or house down south (I live near Detroit). I figure the plane will allow more location flexibility and I can always carry a big tent. She was not amused with that comment.

I plan to continue to fly during the build. I have been flying for 25 years off and on but never had the urge to finish.....until my last birthday. I think I am up to 75 hours now. Today, I put out a few feelers for somewhat local flying clubs to see if they have anything to offer. I would like to get my IFR ticket someday so I will probably equip the plane accordingly and train with it.

I had an insurance quote through AOPA for an RV-10. The first year was like $3000 and reduced from there with 10 hours of RV-10 time before binding. I imagine the -14 is slightly lower but similar costs.

I really appreciate all the ideas and suggestions.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:10 AM

Iíll say it again. Once you fly in an RV you will hate the idea of renting. Youíll have pre-paid a significant cost of your RV already (insurance, hangar/tie down, taxes...) so the rental will cost triple the gas cost of the RV. And in the time it takes to get to the rental, pre-flight, etc, you could have made two trips. If you have a two seater, thatís what youíll do, with the wife at one end and your daughter at the other watching one child for an hour. But you really want a -10.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:33 AM

[quote=thonati;1496421]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjo View Post
and I can always carry a big tent. She was not amused with that comment.
Hereís what you can do with a -10: In Aug 2017, my wife and I, plus another adult couple, plus a large tent, a second small tent for the port-a-potti, 4 sleeping bags, sleeping pads, clothes, ice chest with food, small camp stove for coffee, all piled into the -10. Took off at gross weight, no issue for any RV. Flew non-stop to eastern Oregon (John Day), camped at the airport, got up the next morning and watched the total solar eclipse; flew home. Yes, you can carry a big tent, plus a lot more!
Old 01-22-2021, 06:35 AM

Like the rest, I’d say build the 10. I’m currently flying a 14A and building a 10. Also a relatively new pilot. The 14 is amazing, but you’re not just limited in people, but overall capacity. There is very limited room for extra “stuff”. Yes you can put 100lbs in the back. But the back fills quickly just with stuff you need. Canopy covers, cowl plugs, chocks, tow bar, gust lock, extra oil, small tool kit, oxygen, manual, etc etc. THEN an overnight bag or two.

I think you’ll find that the increase in total cost of ownership is marginal at best between the two planes, but that the utility is significant. My $0.02
Old 01-22-2021, 08:08 AM

Default 10

For the cost difference the 10 all the way. Extra cargo space is invaluable even when not hauling 4 people. And yes a full size glider rocking chair and ottoman fits in the back in case you need to make a furniture delivery to family. We also haul our dogs with us Doberman,Beagle, fox terrier and sometimes a cat too.
Garmin G900X
First Flight 2/14/2019
Old 01-22-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Iíll say it again. Once you fly in an RV you will hate the idea of renting. Youíll have pre-paid a significant cost of your RV already (insurance, hangar/tie down, taxes...) so the rental will cost triple the gas cost of the RV. And in the time it takes to get to the rental, pre-flight, etc, you could have made two trips. If you have a two seater, thatís what youíll do, with the wife at one end and your daughter at the other watching one child for an hour. But you really want a -10.
Not to mention in order to fly that rental, you'll likely have to make an effort to fly it relatively often to meet whatever currency requirements they might have in order to rent their planes solo.
RV10 - #41687
http://adamsrv10.wordpress.com
N56AB Reserved
Old 01-22-2021, 11:25 AM

You are making the right choice regarding airplane vs. second home/vacation property. An RV (Vans) and Airbnb beats a second home in both cost and flexibility big time!

Tim
Old 01-22-2021, 06:44 PM

Default RV10

I have no kids and have a 10. My wife, my golden retriever and I usually fill up the plane with a bunch of ****. You don't have to leave anything behind. We bring golf clubs sometimes even if we don't play. Camping gear, two mountain bikes, moving a propeller for overhaul, nieces and nephews, discovery flights and usually friends. We rarely fly without needing the extra space plus the cost difference isn't that much.