What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SL30 overwhelmed by noisy environment?

LAL

Friend
Just got my 7A in the air last Friday. Wow. What a treat.
Now to the "dialing it in" sort of stuff. Among other things, I could use thoughts on my lousy transmissions and terribly loud background noise (and weak voice) on sidetone when I transmit. Particulars: SL30, GX60 GPS/Comm, SL15 (PS Engineering 7000) audio panel, Bose headset. When taxiing or low noise environment, no problem. On takeoff or at cruise, reported poor reception and the noise as described above. The problm does not follow the headset (traded Boses' with a friend), it does not follow the audio panel (shut it down and let the SL 30 operate itself), and it does not follow a particular transmitter (both the GX60 and SL30 suffer about the same). THe ONLY consistency is that when the cockpit is very noisy, as all our blessed RVs are at cruise, it is there. When it is not, it is not.
I tried changing Mic gain and sidetone in the SL30 systems menu (see install manual about page 30), but it did not seem to help. I'll try a David Clark NR headset tomorrow to see if there is something in the Bose in particular.
But I am basically stumped.
A fix from someone would be worth several martinis at S n F or OSH.
Regards,
Len

Congrats

Congrats :D You have the best of the best equip. Try a different headset's. Borrow another headset or two from someone. Sounds like (no pun) your mike is not rejecting noise. Not familiar with your equip.

I have an SL40 and it suffered similar problem as you described. I called Garmin AT and tech suport told me to go through the post installation calibration /test procedures for the radio on the ground with as much background noise as possible. So I ran a vacuum cleaner in the cabin and ran through the setup/calibration routine. Now every thing works fine. it's worth a try for you

Same problem with my I-com, Factory sidetone was set too high.

Made an adjustment as per rep, all is well in RV land!

Warren

Too Loud

Check the on-line cataloge for Oregon Aero, look for Mic Muff or similar. Their explanation is that your mike's normal circuitry to filter out the background noise is being overwhelmed. They sell a muff to fix the problem. So far, I am experimenting with tape, but not getting it right yet. I may buy the OA solution. Interestingly, the mic on my Halo is OK but the mic on my Pilot ANR is the problem.

Mic Muff ...

Some things you probably have considered but for the record ...

1. Do you have mic muffs? (They make a BIG difference)
2. With the Bose is the mic opening facing your mouth (it is easy for it to be turned slightly and not noticed with the muff covering it).
3. Did you play with the squelch on the audio panel or is it "automatic" on that model?
4. Were your air vents open? (If they are pointed toward your face, that can cause a problem sometimes as well.)

James
SL30, DRE intercom, Bose X (and other headsets) ... no problem

Try turning the mic level down to about 80-100, I believe the factory setting is somewhere around the 200 (max) range which is to high for the sensitive mics of most headphones. I have a mic muff now which seesms to help a little and I have mine around 150, never had a complaint and everybody says L&C when asked.

Had the same problem

It is in the setup menus. There are 2 different menus, one is accessed by holding down the flip flop switch and RCL button while powering the unit on. This will allow you to scroll thru different menus using the LARGE knob. To change a value press the flip flop button and change the value using the SMALL knob. Press MEM button to save the change.

In this menu, you can change the MIC level button. This is how sensitive the MIC will be as you talk. There are settings for both MIC 1 and MIC 2. Adjust the level so that someone listening on another radio can hear you clearly.

The other System menu is accessed by pressing the MON button for more than 2 seconds while the power is on. You navigate the same way as above. In this menu, you can change the MIC Squelch individually for MIC 1 and MIC 2, which is what you want to do to get rid of your background noise. Just talk thru the MIC as you adjust the number up and down with the SMALL knob. It will be obvious when you are turning the Squelch UP as you will begin to cut out. If you set it to where you have to talk loudly to break the squelch, that should drown out all background noise in flight. Don't forget to press the MEM button to save after adjustment and repeat this for MIC 2.

The next item you will want to change is the Sidetone LVL. Set it to 000 and this slaves the volume to the volume control knob. That way as you talk, you can adjust the loudness with the volume control so you sound the same loudness when you speak as incoming transmissions sound. Don't forget to push MEM to save.

Len,

I too know exactly what you are talking about and I don't think it matters what brand of headset you have. I've flown with Bose, David Clark, Lightspeed, and Telex. The only thing that made a difference, and I have absolutely no clue why, is keying the mic twice before talking. In otherwords, if I'm just cruising along and key the ptt buttom and start talking, I get the loud background noise. But if I key the ptt for about a 1/2 second, release, and then key it again immediately and then speak, the sound comes out much better with much less background noise. Its almost like I'm somehow activating some kind of circuit by doing that. Just to be clear, I'm talking about rapidly keying the ptt twice, holding it in on the second time and speaking.

It worked, and noise is handled

Of course, if I could tell you what the single "it" was I'd love it. Between all suggestions including vacuum cleaner in cockpit while reducing both mic gain AND (importantly) sidetone in the SL30 setup procedures, checking mike orientation and muffs.. the problem is completely solved for the SL30.
On the GX60 comm side, still some problem as the system options do not include the equivlent adjustments. I'll contact Garmin to clarify that.
I shudder to think how many martinis I will have to buy at SnF. Then again, personalities and politics aside, Hillary is dead on with the RV community: "It takes a village".
Regards and thanks,
Len

Lightspeed Sierra & cockpit noise - radio = SL30

I recently bought a new Lightspeed Sierra and since then the engine noise from my O-360 seems to have increased. Lightspeed suggested mic trim but that didn't help. After 3 months, I started to hear a squeal out of the right headset cup but it was intermittent. Over time it got louder and continued even after the headset was unplugged.

I sent the headset back to Lightspeed and they fixed it. Three days after it came back from Lightspeed, it developed a clicking sound and so it's enroute to Lightspeed for a second time.

Question: Is it possible for an SL30 to damage a headset? None of my other headsets failed over the last 8 years.

While I wait for the Sierra to come back from the factory, I used an older ANR to learn more about sidetone. I am not an avionics expert so after reading posts on Doug's website, reading the manuals and speaking to Garmin (very helpful people), I conducted a series of test and learned the following:

First, the suggestion to use a vacuum cleaner was brilliant. Kudos!
Second, I could not find a calibration procedure for sidetone.
Third, at sidetone = VARIABLE, it's too noisy to the pilot.
At sidetone = 25 & higher, it's just as noisy as sidetone = variable.

My wife helped me conduct these tests using my handheld. At every setting of sidetone, what she heard was the same. The pilot's voice level and vacuum cleaner noise were always the same.

Like the book says, sidetone affects the amt of background noise the pilot hears, but has no effect on the recipient.

As I gradually decreased sidetone = 10, the vacuum cleaner noise got lower. At sidetone=5, I couldn't hear anything (neither my own voice or the vacuum).

Sidetone = 10 or 11 seems optimal for the SL30 and my old ANR. I assume this relationship could change with the headset so when the Lightspeed returns from the repair shop I will repeat this experiment.

I tried different muffs and cupped my hand over the mic but nothing changed.

Garmin support was excellent & this website is worth its weight in gold. If anyone has more ideas or experience with the Sierra and SL30, pls send.

Thx.

keep trying

Your side tone level is not relevant... other than to hear yourself.
Lower the mic gain as suggested. Keep the mic actually touching your lips. Try the Oregon Aero muff... but orient the holes properly.
The mic squelch is not relevant either.... for background noise. Once the squelch is triggered... it hears everything. Clicking twice is superstition, I doubt you will do anything but annoy everyone.
As mentioned, keep the airflow off your face. Make sure a second headset is not laying down in a noisy spot and triggering the intercom with additional noise.
The active noise cancellation in your headset is sophisticated electronics.
The mic, unfortunately is usually a fifty cent electret element from Asia. They are super sensitive. Good luck!!!

Back