Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:44 AM

Default Reaming and deburring suggestions

Hey all,
I am looking at the thousands of pre-punched holes in my new wing kit, and considering spending some money in time savings if possible.

I recall that reamers can be safely used to match drill any prepunched holes (like skins to skeleton) without the need to go back and deburr like we normally do when we use a #30/#40 standard drill bit.

Is this true? Can I simply get a reamer and use it on all these hundreds of pre-punched holes and save my wrists and time from the deburing process afterwards?

If so, are reamers sold in the normal #30 / #40 sizes? Any recommendations on which to get? There seems to be many different kinds.

Thanks!
Wing Kit Started - June 2017
My Build Log: http://www.theskunkwerx.com
Old 06-27-2017, 11:03 AM

I bought #30 and #40 reamers from The Yard Store, other places have them as well. I liked the reamers more than drills for reaming to final size, but I still deburred. I generally did that with a few passed with a Scotch-Brite pad, though, not the cutter. I've seen conflicting advice on deburring. Lots and lots of advice. Like most stuff I can find you at least one well respected repeat offender who says it's really not needed in most cases, and a few others who will swear you'll fall out of the sky if you miss a hole. OK, maybe a little exaggeration there but you get my drift.

Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
Old 06-27-2017, 04:59 PM

I reamed most holes and then went over with a Scotchbright pad to debur. Also ran my finger over and any holes that still had a bur got debured. There were not many that needed more than the Scotchbright. Reamers are available in all sizes, look at Carr-McMasters for page after page of them.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:24 PM

Default Reamers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
I bought #30 and #40 reamers from The Yard Store, other places have them as well. I liked the reamers more than drills for reaming to final size, but I still deburred. I generally did that with a few passed with a Scotch-Brite pad, though, not the cutter. I've seen conflicting advice on deburring. Lots and lots of advice. Like most stuff I can find you at least one well respected repeat offender who says it's really not needed in most cases, and a few others who will swear you'll fall out of the sky if you miss a hole. OK, maybe a little exaggeration there but you get my drift.
+1 what Dale said.
Reamers drill round holes with far less burr. I still deburred but only a light touch for a couple turns. I recommend #40, #30, #19, #12, 3/16", 1/4".
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit, now FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:16 PM

Scotch on a backing pad or 400 grit on a bucking bar with a couple of light passes de-burs just fine. Look with a 10x lupe and you will see that the holes are perfectly smooth.

Donated in 2020