Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2020, 10:58 AM

Default Position Sensor for Manual Elevator Trim?

I'm looking for a few "real world" methods on how to mount and attach a position sensor to the manual elevator trim for my RV6A. The sensor will be tied to my Garmin G3X touch. I'm full of ideas, but I would love some feed back with actual examples. Thanks
Old 03-04-2020, 11:20 AM

I would think a Ray Allen POS-12 sensor would work, attached directly to the trim tab.
RV6 #20477 completed 1991 sold.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017
(KOXC)Oxford, CT, (0NY0)North Creek, NY.
1941 J3 Cub skis, floats.
Building Javron Super Cub.
2020 dues gladly paid.

Last edited by Jpm757 : 03-04-2020 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Sp
Old 03-04-2020, 11:46 AM

I have a Ray Allen sensor set up for my flaps in my -4 that I tied into the bellcrank under the floor via. R/C model pushrod and snap ends. I would think you could do something similar off the manual trim mechanism and locate the sensor nearly anywhere you want. The R/C model pushrods are super smooth, light and can nearly be tied in a knot.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:57 AM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf202 View Post
I'm looking for a few "real world" methods on how to mount and attach a position sensor to the manual elevator trim for my RV6A. The sensor will be tied to my Garmin G3X touch. I'm full of ideas, but I would love some feed back with actual examples. Thanks
No ideas for a sensor but after you have flown your -6A a few times you won't need a sensor. You will instinctively know about how far out the manual knob needs to extend for takeoff and the RV will tell you when subsequent adjustments have the plane in trim.

I've flown my RV-6 with manual trim for 20 years and never had any need for a sensor.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
No ideas for a sensor but after you have flown your -6A a few times you won't need a sensor. You will instinctively know about how far out the manual knob needs to extend for takeoff and the RV will tell you when subsequent adjustments have the plane in trim.

I've flown my RV-6 with manual trim for 20 years and never had any need for a sensor.
Expanding on this, you really only need to set the trim with an indicator before takeoff. At all other times, you use trim to minimize stick pressure.

On one of my RVs, forget which one, I would check the elevator trim position as part of the preflight to make sure that it was about right.
Too many safety posts purged without notice...
Old 03-04-2020, 12:19 PM

Default Neutral mark on trim knob shaft,

I just filed a small notch on the shaft and added a little white paint ---- neutral works good on my plane for takeoff, and a little nose down for cruise ---- I trim pretty far back on landing, unless I have someone else in the plane.

Ron
IO360, 180HP/CS, AFS 5600T, D10A, G650, G430, G327, ADS-B, VIZ385 AP
Very Happy Contributor
Comm, SMEL, CFII, A&P
Based at KCLW (Clearwater, FL)
Old 03-04-2020, 02:10 PM

Default Trim Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf202 View Post
To supplement the information others have shared, here is some general installation information for position sensors to be integrated with the G3X Touch System:

In general, most potentiometer-type resistive position sensors can be used with the G3X system. Typically these sensors take the form of a 0?5kΩ or 0?10kΩ variable resistor. Electric trim motors with integrated position potentiometers do not require separate position sensors.

Each position sensor installation will vary widely according to the aircraft, motion being sensed, and mechanical installation. A standalone position sensor should ideally be mounted such that the full travel of the sensor is just slightly greater than the full travel of the control surface.

If you have any questions as you are integrating the position sensor into the G3X Touch system, please feel free to contact us directly at G3Xpert@Garmin.com.

Thanks,

Justin
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 03-04-2020, 02:57 PM

My takeoff setting is to have spacing about the length of my finger tip between the bottom of the knob and where the cable meets the panel. A little bit of trial and error provided this as the ideal setting.

Purchased July 2019: RV-6 0320 Whirlwind Ground Adjustable Prop

"We can porpoises?" -- Leo Farnsworth
Old 03-04-2020, 04:37 PM

Default Direct visual

I check the manual trim tab position by looking at it back over my shoulder, I know how much deflection to look for. Once in the air you don't need to look at it because you feel it in the stick, as others have said. In this "real world" method, the pilot is the sensor.
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, working on fuselage
Flying my Aeroprakt A-22 STOL and the aero club's RV-9A while I build

Last edited by PaulvS : 03-04-2020 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-04-2020, 04:40 PM

Two and a half fingers on mine. Done. Don?t over complicate it.
N164WM
N184WM reserved (RV-8)....finishing kit in progress. Titan IOX-370