-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:16 PM

I?m working on my tanks right now. Garage temps in the 30-45 range dependent on outside temps. The pro seal work time was greatly increased, however so is the cure time. After fay sealing the interior ribs on the first tank, it took a good 5 days for it to tack up. After I finished closing the tank up I let it set in the garage for a week and the pro seal was still very pliable. Move the tank inside and it cured in like 3 days. Bubble pressure test indicated zero leaks.
RV-7A - New Build
Tail Feathers - Complete
ER Wings - Complete
Fuselage - Complete
Finish - Started
Old 02-04-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockmanreef View Post
thanks for the ideas. I am going to attempt the syringe method, maybe modified to use with a caulk gun. I will try this method with the tank stiffeners. If that proves to be a PITA, then I will buy a Semco gun. I have a feeling the I will be buying one. As pointed out selling it should be easy.

Ivan-- I like the PPE (personal protective equipment).

How many people use a respirator while applying sealant?

I wear one while working with anything evolving VOCs. In particular, while cleaning parts with acetone, MEK, or painting.
Ken-

I'm pretty careful about PPE these days. Once when I was younger I painted a car using isocyanate based paint with only a particulate filter mask and it earned me a nice vacation in the hospital. They say a person's sensitivity to that sort of stuff only gets worse. I may be being overcautious, but proseal stinks and that's enough to make me be careful. Also, anytime you have proseal mixed you also have MEK fumes from cleaning tools, so the VOC mask is just good, cheap insurance in my view.

By the way, we just air tested that tank this past weekend and found no leaks after soaping, and it's held 27 inches of water since saturday so I'm pretty happy with my results!
Finally at the airport!
2021 dues paid
Old 02-04-2014, 09:18 PM

Default Semco (or clone) +1

I definitely like the semco gun, used with the vans pre-proportioned semkits of proseal goop. There was much less mess, less air bubbles, and the beads went down nicely. I keep my proseal cartridges in the fridge until ready for use, then let them sit and warm up prior to mixing. Usually there is a little heat when the two parts get mixed, so this helps bring it to work temp. Keeping it a little colder will increase work time, but I only did this for things like the trailing edges. For the tanks, there was plenty of work time, since the gun lays it down so quickly and easily. Can't recommend the gun enough.
RV-10 - Working on engine / prop installation
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....ig&project=803
F-14 (Pedal Plane - Daughter's Project) "Flying"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKCyX2FXrlw
Old 02-05-2014, 03:55 PM

I actually decided to buy one instead of making a mess. The decision came caulking the shower. I can never get an even bead with a caulk gun. I assume a syringe will be worse. I figure I can always sell it when I am done.

FaceBook Page: Ken's RV-14
RV-14a (serial number 140073)
N73XP

Plane at hangar and the wings ON.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:27 AM

Default Semco gun

I had picked up a used pneumatic gun thinking it would be a luxury. I found that the ability to dispense and control pro seal evenly and consistently, using one hand and feathering the pneumatic trigger on the gun, was an invaluable aid when in the middle of pro seal operations. You can also reuse the plastic cartridges, as pro seal doesn't stick to polypropylene. Simply mix your own pro seal, spoon into the cartridge and dispense. When the slug dries inside the cartridge, unscrew the cartridge nozzle and remove the cartridge plunger with a needle nose, rinse and repeat.
fuselage/FF
Old 02-08-2014, 02:32 PM

Default Semco Gun

I just did my first batch with the Semco gun. It was really nice to use even though I accidentally put on a 1/16" tip instead of the 1/8" tip. I did not make any mess (other than mixing). One thing I did was the double glove trick which is a great idea. The other thing I did was when I peeled the outer glove off, I put it back on inside out, so I could use them twice.

I unscrewed the tip and pushed out the plunger. I put a screw in the tip so that I could pull out the plug later.

ken

FaceBook Page: Ken's RV-14
RV-14a (serial number 140073)
N73XP

Plane at hangar and the wings ON.