- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-28-2021, 11:52 AM

Smile Landing lights

Putting in my order for the RV12is wing kit. Should I order the second landing light or just go with only one??? Please let me know your thoughts. Very reason from cost , to maintenance, burden to electrical system, to the extra time and effort to install. I wont respond but I will thank now for your input. (THANKS)
Old 02-28-2021, 11:59 AM

I would go with two. The wig wags are probably the most effective tool against a mid air collision.
12iS SLSA #5
Salt Lake Int'l
Old 02-28-2021, 12:32 PM

I would also go with two, from a visibility standpoint.
2012 RV-12, #212 N72DJ KWHP based.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtens View Post
I would go with two. The wig wags are probably the most effective tool against a mid air collision.
I agree. This is the reason I ordered two.

VAF donation made for 2021
Old 02-28-2021, 06:58 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks again for responding. I will agree that the safety aspect alone is enough reason for two. So two it is👍🏻
Old 03-01-2021, 04:46 AM

It does require the injected IS engine, but you probably know that. So, its not just the additional light kit.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Patton View Post
burden to electrical system
Ken -

I installed the second landing light just to have wig-wag capability to hopefully make it easier for other aircraft to see me, especially in the pattern ... which from a safety aspect, I feel is money well spent. See and be seen.

I have a 912ULS engine so the electrical system is rather anemic, but remember ... in the wig-wag mode one light is always off, so there is no more current draw then having the right landing light steady on.

Your 912iS has a more robust charging system than the 912ULS so doubt you will have any issues with taxing the electrical system. In my case, to help minimize the current draw during night operations, when the panel switch is placed in the landing light steady position, it only lights the right landing light. I placed a separate switch on the panel to control the left landing light's steady on ... on short final I can switch it on and when on the runway switch it off ... this way the electrical system is not over taxed from both lights being on for extended periods of time. Photo of the left landing light switch:
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-beurgpsfy...0/DSC01555.JPG

Happy building,

RV-12 Wings, Empennage, Fuselage, Finishing, Avionics and Powerplant kits all completed
Now Flying!!

Donation paid until September 2021
Old 03-01-2021, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock836 View Post
John, if you don't mind me asking, where did you buy those switches and the backing plates with lettering?
Joe - don't want to hijack this thread so PM me if you need more info than can be found in the following link to my Blog.
http://www.dogaviation.com/2016/03/f...-switches.html

The label material is a two layered .020" thick engraving material carried by most engravers with a thin adhesive backing applied after engraving. I supplied them with a to scale drawing that they used to engrave and make the cuts for the switches.

The switches are the same ones Van's uses ... they are manufactured by Otto and the part number is in the Blog link. The switches are sold by various vendors.

RV-12 Wings, Empennage, Fuselage, Finishing, Avionics and Powerplant kits all completed
Now Flying!!

Donation paid until September 2021

Last edited by John-G : 03-01-2021 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:39 PM

Only have one myself (2nd wasn't an option when I built). Last flight on final, an aircraft on ground radioed me to advise that my "second" flashing light was not working, wanted me to be aware.

If I had the choice, I would have installed 2 of them.
RV-12, N913BC
http://www.mykitlog.com/brent45

Check out & subscribe to my Youtube channel for latest RV-12 flying videos...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxQ...Px2I7jmazGdLqg
Old 03-05-2021, 03:10 PM

Default Landing Lights

This is just my two cents, but I would consider installing the lights prior to attaching the skin to the ribs. I am on my third iteration and am seriously considering drilling out the skin and replacing it with a new one. Follow the instructions in the KAI for putting the light in, but before it is permanently attached to the ribs. This way if you need access to the back and sides, it will be unimpeded.

Again, just my thoughts
donald.macmillan@ynhh.org