What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone flown into KBJC - Broomfield CO?

moll780

Well Known Member
I'm tentatively planning a weekend trip to Denver and was asked if I could go to KBJC to be picked up once I land.
Has anyone been into or out of that airport that has any tips or cautionary tales about heading there?
thanks!

I'm based at KBJC and so are a bunch of other RVs. Pretty nice airport and the controllers are generally good. Are you flying to KBJC or asking about driving to there from the big airport? Getting picked up after flying in there would be pretty simple.

Call me if you want. I'll PM a number.

I would be flying in to BJC. staying friday and sat then leaving sometime sunday.. weather permitting of course.
I'm just not familiar with the area or the airport.
I'll PM you shortly. would love to chat.

I'm based at KBJC and so are a bunch of other RVs. Pretty nice airport and the controllers are generally good. Are you flying to KBJC or asking about driving to there from the big airport? Getting picked up after flying in there would be pretty simple.

Call me if you want. I'll PM a number.

I might have room in a hangar at BJC for two nights if you need a place to park. Would need to know pretty quick to make sure it won't get filled by a couple of transient vehicles.

Info about KBJC

I'm tentatively planning a weekend trip to Denver and was asked if I could go to KBJC to be picked up once I land.
Has anyone been into or out of that airport that has any tips or cautionary tales about heading there?
thanks!

Assume you are coming from Austin, so from the south and west side of the class B be aware there is a VFR corridor that may be frequented by aircraft from Boulder, Metro, and Centiennial airports. Sorry Grayhawk, but at 5000 feet you will still be well underground. Plan arrival at 6500 feet and that keeps you out of the class B and at pattern altitude as you transition for landing.

This time of year winds and turblulence off the nearby mountains can be a problem, but if your trip occurs over this coming weekend, the weather looks absolutely great. (It's about time for that too!)

Tower op is not continuous, and closes at 10pm so treat it as an uncontrolled airport and talk on CTAF if arriving after tower operating hours. Also be prepared to be visited by the Jefferson County Sheriff Deputy if arriving after normal hours. (Ask me how I know) :)

Most flight activity will be north of KBJC due to close proximity of numerous airports, but a south arrival should be pretty uneventful.

Other than that there is a Young Eagle Rally scheduled for KFTG this Saturday which will be well off to the east of you, so that should be no factor. Not sure if other rallys may be scheduled by other chapters closer to KBJC, but that is possible.

Have a great trip and keep checking the weather....

Last edited:
Weather

Weather for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday looks good. Highs in the 70's, have a great trip.

<<snip>>
Sorry Grayhawk, but at 5000 feet you will still be well underground. Plan arrival at 6500 feet
<<snip>>
I'm a failure at humor.... :)

I should know the altitudes after making many trips to/from KFNL (Fort Collins-Loveland) to/from my Spicewood TX hangar at 88R (Spicewood just NW of Austin).

Anyway, all I have to add is to watch out for tall towers North of the Denver area if you come in that way. Probably best to come in from the South and use the VFR Corridor, if VFR.

GH

Swing by the Amphitheater you will like it. It's about 15 miles to the south.

If you go higher, watch out this type of clouds. In no time you will be soaring in Class A airspace even without adding power :)

Back