What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Calling all EI fuel monitor experts

Hey guys. Can someone tell me off hand what might have happened to my EI fuel monitor?

I filled up the other day and I was resetting the fuel monitor to reflect me topping off the plane and I think I messed up a setting or somthing. Because now the monitior shows about 2gals/hr higher fuel flow reading then normal. And because of the higher flow readings the total remaining/ used is wrong. Prior to my fumbling fingers the other day after fill up, it worked great and was within .2 gals or so at fillup. It was really a nice cross check to the fuel gages.

Any ideas where I should start? My next step is to find the manual online and start from scratch loading it step by step.

I have an RV6A/160HP/Fixed pitch/Carb

Thanks
Rich

Not my category ....

Sorry, I'm only an expert on the defective threaded red cubes. I have enough qualifications there to last a lifetime. :mad: So far I've not had a problem with the flo readings.

Just a guess

You may have inadvertently changed the K factor.
The K factor can be changed to calibrate your fuel flow.

I had a EI fuel totalizer and accidentally changing the k factor was not all that
hard to do, I did a couple of times.
The good news is, it is just as easy to set it back were it is supposed to be.
Th factory default setting is somewhere around 68000 and using the actual fill up information and an auto calibrate mode will reset the K factor to reflect accurate fuel flow info after about 3 or 4 fill ups.

Hey guys. Can someone tell me off hand what might have happened to my EI fuel monitor?

I filled up the other day and I was resetting the fuel monitor to reflect me topping off the plane and I think I messed up a setting or somthing. Because now the monitior shows about 2gals/hr higher fuel flow reading then normal. And because of the higher flow readings the total remaining/ used is wrong. Prior to my fumbling fingers the other day after fill up, it worked great and was within .2 gals or so at fillup. It was really a nice cross check to the fuel gages.

Any ideas where I should start? My next step is to find the manual online and start from scratch loading it step by step.

I have an RV6A/160HP/Fixed pitch/Carb

Thanks
Rich

It is pretty hard to accidentally get into the mode where you set K factor, so I think you probably changed the display to liters. It is pretty easy to do. Don't ask how I know. I keep an FP-5 manual on my nightstand. Well, not really, but I do have it handy. I think Page 15, item 1 of the document at the link below is where you want to look.

http://www.buy-ei.com/Information/OI - FP-5.pdf

I did see an auto display...

Now that you said this, at one point I did see the display show "auto" at one point. I just kept trying the buttons until I got to the fuel remaining page and I added 38.0 and we t flying.
I'll have to read up on this K factor. I don't recall it in the first pass through.
Wish me luck! I hate to go without this great cockpit tool.

Back