What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vertical compass and electromagnetic interference.

McFly

Well Known Member
I have a vertical compass mounted in my panel. Here is a pic at the bottom of the page. The compass is top center next to the GPS:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=1533&highlight=show+panel&page=11

The heading is influenced by switching various electrical components on and off. The wiring run goes along the bottom of the panel.

I would like to build a shield to surround the compass. Does this have a prayer of working? What would be a good material? Any and all advice welcome.

One a side note: The odometer turned over 100 hours while flying over San Francisco last night while playing tourist. It was beautiful beyond description!!:)

Heated Pitot

My compass is fine with any circuit energized except the pitot heat, and then it thinks it's always pointing NE. Let me know if the ACS stuff works!

I have some of that material that I purchased for the same reason...but never used it. If you need it, I will be happy to make you a deal to get it out of the shop.

D'oh

Thanks John but I was too quick on the trigger. I already put the ACS order in.

For others who are considering a vertical card compass:

Aviation Consumer had a writeup on VCC's and said that the magnets in them were about 4 times as strong as the magnets in regular compasses, making separation from steel and electrical interference much more important. About half the folks who have tried VCC's have been dissatisfied, and this may be the problem in many cases.

Richard Scott
RV-9A Fuselage

Compass Shield

John,

I'm interested in the compass shield material you have for sale.

My zip code is 43560 if you want to check shipping costs.

I would like to build a shield to surround the compass.

Wouldn't this block the earth's magnetic field from reaching the compass? Seems you would want to use the shielding material on all the wires and gizmotrons that are generating magnetic fields.

One a side note: The odometer turned over 100 hours while flying over San Francisco last night while playing tourist. It was beautiful beyond description!!:)

Dawg! Good deal. I've enjoyed some full-moon flights over the Bay in my Aircoupe (which also has a bubble canopy). Hard to beat Northern California for great flying.:D

Back