What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Furnace Creek, Death Valley

N427EF

Well Known Member
Just a few pictures from our trip to Death Valley a couple of days ago.
Other have described their experience in much more eloquent terms but I'll let the pictures tell the story. Departing Concord CA and flying south east to Madera then over the massive Sierra Nevada.

William Black (local RV Guru) with his wife Caroline flying along in his Harmon Rocket to Furnace Creek, Death Valley.
IMG_2829.JPG

Climbing to 13,500 feet only to be less than 1000 feet AGL traversing a sattle between towering peaks to the north and south, some still higher than our cruising altitude.
IMG_2844.JPG

Mount Whitney in the distance, at 14,491 feet, the highest peak in the lower 48.
IMG_2840.JPG

To the south, a peak toping out at 13,900 feet and on our left a junior measuring 13,200 feet.
IMG_2849.JPG

IMG_2856.JPG

From pine studded slopes and snow covered granite on the west side of the Sierras, Owens Valley, looking like you have entered another planet.
IMG_2876.JPG

Crossing the Inyo Range flying east, the Saline valley on the left and Panamint Springs on the right, all appear similar, dried out basins with salty deposits left on the lake bed.
IMG_2872.JPG

Descending through 3000 feet, just rounding the corner above Stove Pipe Wells where mountain tops of the Panamint Range still reach from 7000 feet to over 9000 feet, less than 30 miles from Death Valley's lowest spot of 282 feet below sea level.
IMG_2869.JPG

Arrival at Furnace Creek less than 2 hours since leaving Home Base.
A balmy 90 degrees but a friendly pick up from Furnace Creek Ranch
and check in to an air conditioned room. "What a bunch of city sleekers
we have become."

IMG_2881.JPG

I just penciled in a route to Death Valley just last night. I figured 3 hours from Petaluma. But that was going around.

We lost a good local pilot a few years back in that area. He was never found! I don't mind mountains, but if I ever have to set it in, it will be near a road or a big open warm area.

As far as the Valley, did you get any ground transportation to go look see??

What to do when you get there

Yes, we did rent a 4WD Jeep for a couple of days and here are some more pics.
The direct route was possible because of very favorable weather conditions,
low wind and clear skies.
On the way home it was quite the opposite, more on that later.

Seen at the airport office....
I was so looking forward to that...
IMG_5983.JPG

IMG_6047.jpg

Food and drink is pricey but a few of these will take care of that worry.
Prickly Pear Margaritas.
IMG_6043.JPG

4WD Jeep is the only way to get around, unless you like to ride horses.
and believe it or not but we saw joggers and bicycle riders miles from civilization.
IMG_2936.JPG
[/IMG]

Rhyolite Nevada just accross the state line, a ghost town or what remains of it from a once bustling mining town.
IMG_2925.JPG

Even had a 3 story bank building. I guess the current banking crisis is not the first in US history.
IMG_2928.JPG

Ubehebe crater formed only 300 years ago in a giant steam explosion.
IMG_2888.JPG

Joshua trees, somewhere up in the Panamint Mountain range. We just missed the desert in full bloom by a few days and because of the low rainfall totals this year, it had been less spectacular than in years with more precipitation.
IMG_2895.JPG

Titus Canyon is why you really need a 4WD vehicle.
A truly spectacular drive up to the canyon entrance and even more impressive
descending down the narrow base, walled by towering rock formations.
IMG_2958.JPG

IMG_6081.jpg

More to come.

Last edited:
Awesome

I did my field research for my MS in Geology in Death Valley. The beauty of that area is amazing. I can't wait to fly over it and through it.

BTW, I was one of those crazies on my mtn bike 30 miles from the nearest water source. :)

Thanks for the pics.

It's an interesting experience to glance at your altimeter on final and watch it run down past zero.......quite a bit past. :eek:

Ernst, i am looking forward to reading about the return trip home. Presidential TFR till 2pm. Echo tops up to FL250 up and down the sierras and central valley. I didn't check for sigmets but i imagine there must have been. It looked like a challenging weather day to me! :D

I hope you got some screenshots from inflight ADS-B weather, too! :D

Last edited:
4 W/D not really necessary

Titus Canyon is a great drive, even without 4 W/D !!

death110-1.jpg

death113.jpg

I hope my next visit will begin by landing at Furnace Creek....

Need 4WD

Frank, looks a lot like this one.:D
Certainly can be done without 4WD but nice to have.

IMG_6072.JPG

fixer upper

Frank, looks a lot like this one.:D
Certainly can be done without 4WD but nice to have.

IMG_6072.JPG

sure but remember, it got there without 4 WD!

there was about 11 of us in pre '16 cars on that tour, it was fun passing folks in their Jeeps n Explorers bouncing along at 10 mph! I should have shot pics of their expressions as we motored by....

Death Valley, Scottys Castle, Furnace Creek, a great place to spend a few days. I highly recommend the trip to all.

Getting Back Home

Bill and his wife left on Wednesday, still looking at a beautiful flight home.
Weather conditions allowed for a flight straight to Bishop and on to Le Vining
near Mono Lake. Then cross over Tioga pass and a straight shot home to Concord
IMG_2965.JPG

We kept our vehicle for the rest of the day and visited a few more sights.
These Beehive looking towers are Kilns built in late 1800 to produce Charcoal from an abundant source of Juniper Trees growing only in this very remote location. There are miles and miles of rocky landscape almost completely void of any sign of life and here at the base of Wild Rose Peak a densely forested area of Juniper trees could be harvested for charcoal.
The Coal was needed over 30 miles away to fire a silver smelter.
IMG_2974.JPG

This is called the Race Track.
The race track holds a mysterious phenomenon wherein bolders about double the size of basket balls have slid or wiggled across a perfectly flat lake bed.
Geologist are still puzzled as to what propells these rocks across a dry lakebed leaving furrows in the mud, hence the name race track.

A dried out lake bed as flat as it gets, about the only good place to land if you needed to put down your plane in the middle of the desert.
Most of the landscape appears flat when flying over at 5000Feet AGL
but almost all of it is rocky and criss crossed with deep ruts and obstacles that would flip any airplane over on its back.

IMG_2910.JPG

IMG_6108.jpg

The red glow of a spectacular sunset was a foreboding sign of an approaching warm front, something that had been on my mind since checking the weather before Bill left. Getting back over the Sierras the next day was something that preoccupied me for the remainder of the stay. I am not new to the Sierras and certainly had my share of dealings with lousy flying weather
but the timing of this sytem could not have been worse. Forecasts for the entire Central Valley were low ceilings low visibility and rain showers.
Ceiling was forcast to be 12,000 feet with icing at 9000 feet, broken and scattered layers at 5000 feet and as low as 1500 feet.
IMG_6113.JPG

I was planning for several outs. It appeared that the south central valley would be spared from this system and most of the IFR conditions would occur
to the north of Fresno. I had also called a Friend in Lake Tahoe 200 miles to the north on the east side of the Sierras where I could get to within a 4 hour drive to home. Best of all I did not need to be home that day.
IMG_6122.JPG

The forcasters were correct.
Having ADS-B weather show up on my Dynon allowed us to fly to Lone Pine
and turn south a bit further than the Town of Olancha where crossing the Sierras to the west could be done at 10,500 feet. A constant update on Metars would show me several VFR airports from Visalia to Bakersfield.
(sorry forgot about screen shots) A huge blob of green and yellow dotted with red showed up on the Dynon weather screen covering most of the central valley north of Visalia.

IMG_6126.JPG

We landed in Visalia in pouring rain but still pretty good visibility and decided to wait for better conditions.
As is so often the case when you land somewhere, you meet interesting people, in this case Mr. Rod Bower builder of the Rod Bower Ram air system and an advertiser on this site. After complimenting me on my RV-10 he offered to take us to his "hangars" and show us a magnificently built Carbon Cub. He slowly revealed that he had built 8 airplanes, at least 3 of them Rvs
and about to finish a Stewart Mustang, a masterpiece if I've ever seen one.
Opposite his hangar was an RV-10 builder, Lee Otto who had been in my garage a couple of years earlier looking over my 10 project. He has done a great job and will be flying soon. A couple of hours passed and the rain let up to a light drizzle. Having Fore Flight at my finger tips, it was easy to see the western part of the valley clearing up at least part way home.
We still could not get all the way to Concord as a Presidential TFR streched over the top of Concord and needless to say weather at around noon was 300foot ceilings in heavy rain. We decided to take advantage of a fairly clear shot to a little airport called Lodi with a great restaurant about 45 minutes north of Visalia. We again caught up with driving rain and 1500 foot ceilings but managed to get to Lodi. After a nice Lunch the place closed down at 2pm
just the end of the TFR and now a 20 minute flight home in very familiar territory. We arrived under 2000 foot ceilings but with good visibility and all is well.
IMG_6131.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for write up

Boy this is a nice trip. I've been to Death Valley briefly now I see what I missed. Time to plan another trip west :D

Here is an excellent read about four Germans who vanished in Death Valley 15 years ago. Leland

http://www.otherhand.org/home-page/search-and-rescue/the-hunt-for-the-death-valley-germans/

Non-flying related, but a very interesting read regardless! Thanks for posting this.

And now, to make this Aviation related, I have flown over this area, and didn't realize how far civilization is, when you're on the ground and trying to hike out of a bad situation! RVs cover the miles quickly, but it wouldn't have been pretty had I been forced down in that inhospitable desert!

Back