What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where to start (tools)...

danielhv

Well Known Member
I am going to be slowly but surely starting to buy the tools to start an RV... Any input on where to start? I figured the first thing would be a compressor (but I could be wrong...) Is there a guide somewhere that tells you what you will need tool wise as well as recomendations? I'd hate to have to buy something twice because I bought something insufficient the first time.

Im building a 7A btw, not sure if Im going with the QB or Slow build yet...

If you choose to not purchase a tool kit as most do, I'd start with the basic stuff required to build one of the practice kits.

A compressor is vital and that would be at the top of the list. Get a good one and only cry once.

I got my rivet gun first, then just real basic tools, clecos, hand squeezer, dies, etc.

I picked up my tools piecemeal, and probably would have saved money getting a kit, but for me it was good to buy them a little at a time (it wasn't cheaper, just better for my situation).

Have fun.

If you choose to not purchase a tool kit as most do, I'd start with the basic stuff required to build one of the practice kits.

A compressor is vital and that would be at the top of the list. Get a good one and only cry once.

I got my rivet gun first, then just real basic tools, clecos, hand squeezer, dies, etc.

I picked up my tools piecemeal, and probably would have saved money getting a kit, but for me it was good to buy them a little at a time (it wasn't cheaper, just better for my situation).

Have fun.

I will end up buying the kit from Avery... Im just trying to get my garage stocked with all the power/hand tools I will need.

Ebay Tools

I'm doing the same thing right now putting together an aircraft tool kit. I've had a lot of success buying tools on Ebay. I bought a 2x rivet gun, rivet shanks, dimple dies, two Clecos air drills with a bunch more drill bits and some bucking bars. It all came to $160 dollars plus $40 dollars shipping. I don't know if I will necessarily use every item, but hey for that cheap they're nice to have. I also made some bit holders out of wood. I'm looking for pneumatic squeezers and a 3x gun next. Best of luck in your search!

aircrafttools.jpg

Click here to search Ebay for Aircraft Tools !

Nathan Cassano

Good idea, my only problem is I dont know what I need I guess... are all rivet guns the same? 2x or 3x? Not sure what a bucking bar is, and are all dimplers the same? Maybe im in over my head?

Good idea, my only problem is I dont know what I need I guess... are all rivet guns the same? 2x or 3x? Not sure what a bucking bar is, and are all dimplers the same? Maybe im in over my head?

Not all guns are the same. The higher the "X" multiplier, the greater the maximum "hit" the gun can apply, and also the slower the frequency of hits.

A bucking bar is a solid metal bar (similar to an auto body dolly) used on the opposite end of the rivet from the gun - it actually forms the "shop head".

Not all dimplers are the same, but there are a few basic categories of dies that can be used in different kinds of dimplers.

Here is a good tool overview: http://www.rvproject.com/tools.html

Tool Check list

I can honestly say that I don't know how I'm supposed to use bucking bars yet but I know that I will certainly need them. What I've done is referenced other builders tool sets and looked at aircraft tool suppliers RV tool kits. And of course there is the Vans tool list. I find the Vans list to be the hardest to understand. I need pictures :D Anyways, this gives me an idea of a check list to see what I need to get.

Avery Tools RV Tool Kits

Dan Checkoway's RV-7 Project - Tools

Vans - Building an RV - Required Tools

I am going to be slowly but surely starting to buy the tools to start an RV... Any input on where to start? I figured the first thing would be a compressor (but I could be wrong...) Is there a guide somewhere that tells you what you will need tool wise as well as recomendations? I'd hate to have to buy something twice because I bought something insufficient the first time.

Im building a 7A btw, not sure if Im going with the QB or Slow build
yet...

No problem with buying a compressor first, but if you buy an oil-free compressor, then you WILL be buying something twice! Search the threads on this one. Most folks have gone with a good oil-lubed compressor.

I just finished my practice kit 10 mins ago, ready to start the HS!

So far I'm glad I bought (in addition to van's recommended tools) -

Pneumatic Squeezer w/2.5" yoke
Longeron Yoke
4" no-hole yoke
6" scotchbrite wheel

Wish I would have bought (and currently have on order) -

Avery's scotchbrite kit
Pop rivet dimplers
Flush swivel rivet set
Edge rolling tool

Not all guns are the same. The higher the "X" multiplier, the greater the maximum "hit" the gun can apply, and also the slower the frequency of hits.

So if I'm looking at the Avery Tool Kits... (Assuming I go with a 7A) is the 3x better than the 2x? Sorry for the ignorance, im just not familiar with pop riveting at all so hits and frequency dont make sense to me... yet!

So if I'm looking at the Avery Tool Kits... (Assuming I go with a 7A) is the 3x better than the 2x? Sorry for the ignorance, im just not familiar with pop riveting at all so hits and frequency dont make sense to me... yet!
This isn't "pop-riveting", the rivet gun is used along with a bucking bar to form the "shop head" of solid aluminum rivets. Check out this site: www.rvproject.com for a wealth of information on building.

Money an issue? Check Craigslist for your compressor. There is a good looking 60 gallon one there right now in Plano for $150--probably a steal--or stolen.

As someone said, DO NOT get an oiless compressor.

Run your air lines now. See: http://www.sharpe1.com/sharpe/sharpe.nsf/Page/Air+Piping+Layout

Since you know so little now, I suggest you first attend an EAA meeting, where you will find lots of help. Or attend a builder's class. Contact Van's for info on one near you. Or at least build Van's tool box.

Search the archives here for other advice on tools. There was a discussion a couple weeks ago.

Richard Scott
RV-9A fuselage

Money an issue? Check Craigslist for your compressor. There is a good looking 60 gallon one there right now in Plano for $150--probably a steal--or stolen.

As someone said, DO NOT get an oiless compressor.

Run your air lines now. See: http://www.sharpe1.com/sharpe/sharpe.nsf/Page/Air+Piping+Layout

Since you know so little now, I suggest you first attend an EAA meeting, where you will find lots of help. Or attend a builder's class. Contact Van's for info on one near you. Or at least build Van's tool box.

Search the archives here for other advice on tools. There was a discussion a couple weeks ago.

Richard Scott
RV-9A fuselage

I'll keep an eye on craigslist... That one in plano is nice, but it IS oiless. :(

Well, I decided the best place to start would be the work bench... so I went to lowes and bought everything I need to build the EAA workbenches... I had to get a circular saw too, but atleast I have one now!

Im getting excited! :D

Tools

May I suggest that you get the best stuff you can...Cry once!! Sioux 3x rivet gun, and by all means, a small tungsten bucking bar. You can build the whole plane with that one bar. Expensive, but if you try one halfway thru, you'll be mad at yourself for not having it earlier. You will also need an angle drill that takes threaded bits. I don't see any way to build an RV without one.

Good luck!!!
Chris

Tool list

I would suggest that you look at a project before you start one if you can. I had no clue what I was looking at at the time but helps to see someone else's project. These forums help a lot! Just now finishing the canopy and it has been intense. That being said I would invite you to come to KRBD and see my project and look at the pile of tools that have been acquired and I will show you how they work and what they are for. Some tools have been a waste of money and others I don't know how I could of got along without.

I got a "full" RV toolkit from Averytools. It is great, also the shipping is great, since they pack it really well and compact. The shipping cost to Norway was 200 US$. Basically the same tools shipped from Aircraftspruce would be 350 US$ in shipping according to their quote. Strange but true.

But I also found I needed lots of other stuff. A drill press is nice so you can drill large pieces with lots of holes fast, and/or get every single hole straight. You need lots of clamps, several dimensions. A saw and files (fine and a bit coarser). Lots of tables or tablespace. I started with one table, then two, now I got three. One for drawings, one for tools fastened to a table like the drill press and one for work, and this is in addition to the jig (RV-4). A grinder? to fasten the scotch brite wheel (very usefull and extremely effective). Lots of lights in the shop. Measuring tools, length and angles, rulers etc. Lots of shelf space for parts and space for tools.

A compressor. I bought a fairly desent compressor with lots of flow and pressure, but I'm starting to think it was a bit waste of money. A modern good quality battery drill work just as good if not better than a compressed air operated drill, and is MUCH quieter AND it is not hooked up to a hose, and do not need oil (just be sure you have two battery packs). A drill operated on compressed air use alot of air, so unless you have a industry sized compressor block and motor, it will run alot. A big compressor tank will not help you unless you also have the block and motor. The rivet gun use almost no air in comparison, and even the tinyest compressor will do. But then if you are going to paint you need a real compressor.

Another thing I found very useful was a small light kind of table with rubber grips that works to clamp things for deburring. I think it costed me 120 NOK (about 20 US$)

Last edited:
My 2cents worth.

As others have pointed out, DO NOT go cheap when it comes to tools. Cheap tools are cheap for a reason, they do a 'cheap' job and then break early on causing you to realize you should have bought better quality tools to begin with. Good quality tools do not only a quality job, but with half the effort (especially when you factor in the multiple re-do's) and at least give you the opportunity to end up with a high quality finished product. Good quality tools are more expensive, thats a given, but you will LOVE them (especially after using a cheap tool that just helped you screw your project up). Ofcoarse, your own skill plays a major role but you can be a professional builder and still have less than quality work if you use cheap tools. But then again, you wont find a professional using cheap tools because they know better.

My own shop is almost finished and I've been researching power tool brands for big ticket things like a drill press, band saw and bench grinder. It's been interesting listening to what the sales people at the major tool stores say about what brand makes the 'best' power tools. I always walk around the store first and if they only carry one major brand of power tool, I'll already know what the answer will be. My best information has come from popular wood working web sites. These guys know their tools and wont tolerate cheap products or hesitate to say which ones to avoid.

So far, the general concensus has been brand names like Powermatic and Jet make solid, long lasting, quality power tools. Delta, used to be one of the top brands but has had a decrease in quality the last few years. Delta is now considered a reasonable choice if you cannot afford the latter two and Sears Craftsman is hard to beat for the occasional enthusiast. The best hand power tool brands change monthly as each comes out with a new feature and it's also highly dependant on which tool your referring to. For example, back when I bought all my hand power tools I bought only the highest rated at the time (ofcoarse:D). That left me with a Porter Cable circular saw, Milwaulkie Sawzall, Bosch saber saw and a DeWalt drill. I have heard repeatedly not to buy tools online from large tool venders, namely Harbor Freight, do to their cheaper Chinese made components, however there are some folks that have reported very little problems with their HF tools.

Same goes for air compressors. Get oiled, highest gallon and cfm @ 90psi you can afford and in a well known brand name.

It all sounds like expensive overkill but as many on this board can tell you, the money spent replacing cheap or inadaquate tools and compressors adds up to what it would have cost you to just buy the better quality stuff in the first place!.

Like I said, just my 2cents, take it for what it's worth.

Mike

Last edited:
My 2cents worth.

As others have pointed out, DO NOT go cheap when it comes to tools. Cheap tools are cheap for a reason, they do a 'cheap' job and then break early on causing you to realize you should have bought better quality tools to begin with.Mike

I agree to some extent, but it is very easy to go completely overboard on this. I purchased a 12V DeWalt drill earlier this year, it was on sale for 1000 NOK (180 US$ or something) and this included 2 battery packs (which is essential). The drill is excellent, with excellent control of the speed, and certainly more than good enough for making holes in aluminium. It is so good that I really do not consider using my air drill unless I abselutely have to for some reason. Nevertheless, I don't consider DeWalt top industry standard quality like for instance Hitachi or Panasonic or even Bosch.

My drill press I purchased for 400 NOK (some 60 US$ or something). It is obviously made in China and far from top quality, but it drills perfect holes, no wobbling or anything. A drill press is a very simple piece of machinery, much more so than a cordless drill.

My point is that what matters is the drill bits, that is where to put the quality because that is what cuts the metal. As long as this is top quality, and your tool doesn't wobble you will get perfect holes (sometimes in the wrong places as well :eek: , but they are perfect holes).

I bought a dry sump compressor and made a shed and put it outside the garage, that was the best **** idea I have ever had. Every time the compressor kicks on I smile and I can still hear myself think to boot. Some other things that I found helpful. I knew I was going to build so I started buying clamps about a half year in advance. You find them on sale all the time, so I would pick up a couple. I had a cordless Milwalkee drill and 2 bats, invaluable in my opinion. The bench grinder and scotchbrite is a given. I put a scotchbrite scuffer in my old makita drill and then throw that in the vice and use it to clean up my edges, works very well. Went with the bare bones RV kit from Cleaveland, good purchase. Also picked up the Main Squeeze from Cleaveland. You are going to need some kind of squeezer, it works great. A no hole yoke is really handy as well as a standard. I pick up small things along the way. Harbor freight is great, bought a 90 degree air drill real cheap, only used it a couple times, but it made a hard job easy. Long drill bits are great, and can be purchased cheap, boeing surplus, ebay, craigslist. If you can start buying before you need things, you are going to save money

Back