What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transmission troubles

jump4way

Well Known Member
I am having some troubles with my comm and am hoping someone has some advice.

The problem I am having is when I transmit I am getting no feedback to my headset. Tower is reporting carrier only. I originally thought it was a faulty comm so I purchased a new icom A210 but after that was installed we are having the same problem.

It sounds like an electical issue somewhere but i'm hoping one of you has had some experience with this and might know the best place to begin looking.

Thanks in advance.

Do you only have one comm? It certainly sounds like you're mic signal is not reaching the radio- you could try a different mic, or try the other seat's mic jack if so equipped.

Comm

Sounds to me like you have an open circuit somewhere between the Mic jack and the Mic input on the radio. It could be anywhere along the line leading from the Mic jack where you plug it into, to the intercom (if you have one) to the Mic input connector on the radio tray. Other possibilities could be a faulty headset or that your Mic jack isn't properly insulated from the airframe itself by using one of the plastic insulators usually provided by the vendors.

I'm sure others will have more and better ideas.:D

I do have only one comm. I have tried a different headset and also bypassed the intercom with a jack that is wired separate from the intercom system all with the same result.

I guess with that I can conclude the headset is fine and the intercom is not the problem. The rest is still up in the air.

Thanks for your feedback.

I do have only one comm. I have tried a different headset and also bypassed the intercom with a jack that is wired separate from the intercom system all with the same result.

I guess with that I can conclude the headset is fine and the intercom is not the problem. The rest is still up in the air.

Then I'd double check the wiring, and make sure you installed all the jumpers & pins in the correct places. It's got to be the wiring. I had the A200 & now an A210.

L.Adamson

Then I would suspect that you may have miss-wired or have a loose/failed connector on the Mic In pin on the 210 radio tray. Check that out.

There was a working radio in there before so I guess I also have to assume that the wiring was correct and there might be a short something causing the troubles?

Comm

There was a working radio in there before so I guess I also have to assume that the wiring was correct and there might be a short something causing the troubles?

When you're working underneath and behind the panel, it isn't hard to pull a weak connection loose. Check continuity from the Mic Jack to the tray connection.

not transmitting

Do you hear a dull thud when you push the tx. button. If not you have incorrectly wited the ptt it grounds the mike circut and you should hear what sounds like a short when you tx.,Listen on an aircraft with a working radio.

cyril

While I'm troubleshooting the the wiring, I have another question you guys might be able to help with. How is the intercom feature with the 210? From what I've read there were troubles with the 200 but I can't seem to find much through the search feature on real world experience on the 210.

I have a flightcom intercom system that seems to be functioning. If I could not use that to open up a little panel space it might be nice if the intercom feature is worthwhile in the 210. Any feedback here?

Back