Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-27-2020, 12:03 PM

Default EAB certification

Question for the group:

Our EAA Chapter (974) was given 2 homebuilt aircraft kits by former members. Our Chapter is considering building one of these as a chapter project and either keeping it to form a chapter flying club, or selling it to raise funds for the chapter. The question that has come up and that I?m asking is, who?s name goes on the airworthiness certificate as manufacturer? Some in the chapter have suggested that we should list EAA974 as manufacturer. Can that be done? Or does it need to be an individual? I?m not interested in who, if anybody, gets a repairman certificate, just who?s name goes on the Data Plate.

Thanks
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019 Flying
RV6/Used kit purchased 2021 building
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2021
Old 03-27-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hersha View Post
Our EAA Chapter (974) was given 2 homebuilt aircraft kits by former members. Our Chapter is considering building one of these as a chapter project and either keeping it to form a chapter flying club, or selling it to raise funds for the chapter. The question that has come up and that I?m asking is, who?s name goes on the airworthiness certificate as manufacturer? Some in the chapter have suggested that we should list EAA974 as manufacturer. Can that be done? Or does it need to be an individual? I?m not interested in who, if anybody, gets a repairman certificate, just who?s name goes on the Data Plate.
The owner/builder of an amateur-built aircraft can be a corporation or LLC. An officer of the corporation will sign all the FAA documents, using his or her title in the corporation. For example, the "One Week Wonder" RV-12iS that we built at Oshkosh a couple of years ago was registered to "Experimental Aircraft Assn Inc" and that is what is shown as the manufacturer/builder on the registration and the data plate. An officer of EAA signed all the paperwork for the application. Same with the AirCam that we recently finished.

However, on the FAA Form 8130-12, Eligibility Statement, you will have to list the names of the individuals who actually worked on the project.

If you are going to keep the aircraft in a flying club after you finish it, it would be simplest to form the flying club corporation, and have them own the aircraft and be the builder right off the bat. It would save you 5 bucks and some paperwork because you wouldn't have to transfer the registration from the chapter to the flying club after the aircraft is finished.

Joe
Old 03-27-2020, 02:34 PM

Perfect! Thanks Joe! I?m going to print this so I don?t get it wrong.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019 Flying
RV6/Used kit purchased 2021 building
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2021