What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What causes a tire to become "out of round"?

Jamie

Well Known Member
What make a tire out of round? Last week I replaced my main tires and brakes. I saw no need to replace the nose tire since I had just recently replaced it when I installed the Grove nosewheel. While I had the plane jacked up I decided to go ahead and balance my nosewheel.

I noticed when I would spin the nosewheel on the plane that it is definitely out of round, and it's definitely the tire and not the wheel.

So what makes a tire get out of round? I could swear that it was good when I first put it on there. Inflation pressure was still good (40psi).

Would just breaking the bead and reseating the tire have any effect whatsoever? I really only have about 40 hours on that tire so I'd like to keep it if at all possible.

The tire is the one that Desser sells.

Just sitting there in the hangar, they definitely get a flat spot. After it warms up a little or is in the air for a while, I find they recover. I've found that balancing is kind of useless (my opinion) because of this. I definitely notice that we're taxiing on a flat spot until we get to the taxiway.

BUMP BUMP BUMP

My tires are always out of round when I taxi away from my hangar, but always round when I taxi back after flying.

Steve

Welcome to wonderful world of bias-ply tires. That's just the way they are. Those amongst us old enough to remember the "good (bad?) old days" before radial tires became the norm on cars will remember that the old bias-ply car tires got flat spots too. Especially in winter.

Heinrich Gerhardt
RV-6

Welcome to wonderful world of bias-ply tires. That's just the way they are. Those amongst us old enough to remember the "good (bad?) old days" before radial tires became the norm on cars will remember that the old bias-ply car tires got flat spots too. Especially in winter.

Heinrich Gerhardt
RV-6

Especially in Nylon cord tires!

Back