What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ideas for building a RV without breaking the bank

Pallet

Someone mentioned in another thread that you can still build an rv in the 30's. (thousand $ not years)
What are some ideas or things you have done that would help attain this goal or get close?

Obviously go slow build.

Your thoughts?

Probably hard to do, not impossible.

Sad to say, the first revision of my RV7A, with basic (and I mean basic) panel and no paint was $70K or so in receipts.

Add what I have now, (updated panel and new paint) and it's north of 90.

So, to answer your question, yes, you probably can build an RV and stay in the 30s. It won't be easy.

Find a 3 4 or 6 that is partially completed, maybe even scrounging parts from many sellers at rock bottom prices.

Find a used, mid time engine with accessories (or even high time). Better yet, find a wreck with engine, accessories and panel in it (wentworth.com)

Panel, my original panel, was kinda high, because I chose an SL30 and a King Transponder. Even without an efis of any kind it was about $9K total.

If you scrounge used instruments (or purchase a wreck with a panel/engine in it), you might be able to get there.

It will be tough.

Just as an after thought, I have passed up more than one RV3 that was priced in the high 20s and a really, really nice RV4 for $41k. Heck I even passed on an RV6 at $39K, so there are bargains to be had.

Unless you really want to build, it probably would be cheaper to buy a flying airplane used. (as if anything about airplanes is cheap).

Start with an RV-3 ($14090)

High-time O-235 ($7k?)

Wooden prop ($cheap)

no primer, paint etc. ($0)

delete canopy and go al-fresco (-$some)

no radio, transponder etc (-$some)

min. instruments = ASI, compass, tacho, altimeter ($second-hand-prices)

no electrical system, no starter

You might be able to fly for a lot less than $30k

working on it!!

My current RV9 project is slated to be a lightweight O235 powered version. I have set a realistic goal of 42K. My current RV9A that I am now flying is equipped well, and cost me about 73K to build. So far I have purchased an orphaned tail and wing kit, with a bunch of extras, and have been negotiating for a used engine. Looks like patience is the key. We'll see how it pans out, but so far I am on budget!! One thing I will look for is some used Dynon electronics that have been removed for upgrade when the company's new whiz bang stuff hits the market. Hope to find a nice used Icom 200 that has been removed for upgrade to the 210. Just a few examples of the road I will try to take. Also, no Classic Aero interior this time, although I love that interior kit in my present plane.

Scrounging!!!
Chris

re: 40K

I think you could build a 9A for 45K+or- some. My brother has about 55K in his. He found a high time engine but went a little overboard on the panel. (Becker radio & transponder, Dynon D10, etc)
Depends on your mission.

My mission with the RV10 is to fly for fun. Basic, day/night vfr. I've been flying for 32 years. I really don't care for flying at night although it is usually smoother, and the lights are absolutly georgeous, but the safety factor, IMO, diminishes considerably at night.

I think with a basic steam guages & engine instruments, A200 & Kt76, high time engine, and no paint you could do it for 45. Maybe less. There again, what's your mission? Mine's to have fun & enjoy the scenery on the ground from above.

Marshall Alexander
RV10 N781DM
fuse/cabin/panel

Me too Marshall...

just for fun flying will be the mission for my 9. Wish I hadn't sold you my Icom 200 now though!!!

All the best,
Chris

It was me, Todd.

Someone mentioned in another thread that you can still build an rv in the 30's. (thousand $ not years)
What are some ideas or things you have done that would help attain this goal or get close?

Obviously go slow build.

Your thoughts?

In the first place, you don't need radios or nav lights. Heck, my first airplane didn't have any electrical system....I always hand-propped it.

Secondly, there are many 150/160 HP engine takeouts with near 2000 hours on them that don't need an overhaul because I've seen one local Skyhawk go 3000 hours and still had compressions in the 70's and good oil consumption. Put one of these in your RV and go fly for quite a few years, monitoring oil use and compressions.

Thirdly...the early bird catches the worm...I've bought seatbelts, radios and instruments on here by being up at 5:00 ayem and locking them in from the classifieds:)

No paint, or roll your own...it's not hard to learn.

An airspeed indicator and altimeter and mag compass are all the flight instruments you have to have. Just use a modular panel for later additions and/or upgrades.

As others have pointed out already, you can buy a flying airplane for a lot less than the sum of its parts.

Regards,

re: probably most

just for fun flying will be the mission for my 9. Wish I hadn't sold you my Icom 200 now though!!!

All the best,
Chris

That's probably how most of us start out (for fun), then we get carried away with,........this won't cost that much more. Then, at some point, we realize what we've spent so far.:D Figure, what the heck, let's get wild & see how much we can spend.:eek:
Most of this rant was just for fun, but you get the drift.:)
I think if we stay focused on the REAL mission, the RV's can be built for a reasonable price.

Marshall

In the first place, you don't need radios or nav lights. Heck, my first airplane didn't have any electrical system....I always hand-propped it.

After living almost 10 years under the uncontrolled airport pattern.............

It's my opinion, that unless you fly in an uninhabited area; that all aircraft should have some type of radio, whether it be a portable or panel mount.
It should be LAW! :D

And.................. I want working and adjusted transponders too; so my little
gizmo picks them up as traffic! :)

L.Adamson -- RV6A

low cost RV's

I built my -7 for 42K i was trying to stay under 40K but added a few items that is with out paint just primer i flew it for two years like that then painted it(myself) and added an ifr panel( balance of items of the ifr panel) then a tru-trac digiflight II at this time i have about 55k in it the palne looks great flys great but it did help that i bought the engine for 3500 with 1400 hours since new still running strong

ken in maine

All the best,
Chris

I have an Icom A200 ---- that I accidently applied reversed voltage to, a few years ago, while finishing the panel. The internal fuse blew at that point. It worked great on the ground, but would "squeal" when the engine was at high power settings. Power back, and it was fine again.

To replace it, I bought a Garmin SL-40 which didn't slip right in; so I quickly ordered a Icom A210 which is a direct replacement. I now have an audio panel and both radios installed.

The problem with the A200 might just be the "mic gain" in combination with high engine noise, since I have no insulation. I'd sell this for $200 which includes the rack. Those rubber rings around the knobs ( which always seem to wear and crack) also need new ones. I hear that Icom will send replacements for free. All in all, this radio was used for about 10 hours.

L.Adamson

I have an Icom A200 ---- that I accidently applied reversed voltage to, a few years ago, while finishing the panel. The internal fuse blew at that point. It worked great on the ground, but would "squeal" when the engine was at high power settings. Power back, and it was fine again.

To replace it, I bought a Garmin SL-40 which didn't slip right in; so I quickly ordered a Icom A210 which is a direct replacement. I now have an audio panel and both radios installed.

The problem with the A200 might just be the "mic gain" in combination with high engine noise, since I have no insulation. I'd sell this for $200 which includes the rack. Those rubber rings around the knobs ( which always seem to wear and crack) also need new ones. I hear that Icom will send replacements for free. All in all, this radio was used for about 10 hours.

L.Adamson

I'll take it if it includes shipping. PM me with payment info required.
Ron

Back