Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-01-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Wischmeyer View Post
Task based flight test is a great idea, but not the way the AC is written. The AC is, unfortunately, a platinum standard for EAB flight testing and documentation and as such is far, far beyond the capabilities of most real world EAB builders and pilots.

As written, Section 1 (the only one I've reviewed in detail) is unrealistic. I've only skimmed the other sections, and they appear more reasonable although I found items here and there.

Hate to be so blunt as there was obviously a lot of work that went into the proposed revisions, but...
For an advisory circular, I think writing the platinum standard is the correct approach. You give the builders all the information and steps that would make up a 100% correct flight test program and let them decide which steps they think are appropriate. It would be a worse idea to give them a more achievable entry level test outline with a comment that says "you could do more here, but we won't tell you what that is".
Old 04-07-2021, 01:18 PM

Default Timing?

Any idea of when this AC would come into effect...? I'm up for the airworthiness inspection and would like to make use of this, if possible. But if it's still months away, then obviously it won't work for me.
Old 04-07-2021, 04:39 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGR1977 View Post
Any idea of when this AC would come into effect...? I'm up for the airworthiness inspection and would like to make use of this, if possible. But if it's still months away, then obviously it won't work for me.
If you’re ready for airworthiness inspection, I’d get it done and get flying. AC drops can happen fast or slow, and it can be hard to predict. The bottom line in this case is that a good flight test program is going to take you 30-40 hours anyway, so its not a huge time saver. The purpose of task based flight testing is getting pilots to actually DO good testing rather than simply “fly off the hours” - so if you’re going to do a good test program anyway, then get it flying and get it done!

Just my opinion....

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 04-08-2021, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
AC drops can happen fast or slow, and it can be hard to predict. The bottom line in this case is that a good flight test program is going to take you 30-40 hours anyway, so its not a huge time saver. The purpose of task based flight testing is getting pilots to actually DO good testing rather than simply “fly off the hours” - so if you’re going to do a good test program anyway, then get it flying and get it done!
Paul is correct in that it will likely take you nearly 40 hours to properly flight test your aircraft anyway, especially if it's a a complex or high-performance aircraft.

Also, it's important to remember that an Advisory Circular is just that - advisory. it is NOT regulatory. So no changes could actually be made to your flight test phase 1 time until there are changes made to the operating limitations that we issue to the aircraft. Right now, we are required (for amateur-built aircraft) to issue either the 40 hour or 25 hour fight test period, just like we have been issuing for the past many years. There is currently no provision for an alternate, "task-based" flight test period.

Publication of the AC is not the controlling event. Publication of a new Order 8130.2 that allows the task-based flight test period is what you have to wait for.

Joe
Old 04-11-2021, 09:45 PM

Thanks for helpful info, guys. Appreciate it.