What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine wire wrap

wirejock

Well Known Member
I was in an FBO today and noticed a Lyco engine with a really neat wire wrap. A&P didn't know what it was or where to get it. He said Lyco supplied the engine with it.
I wish I had taken a photo.
It looked like spiral wrap about 1/8" wide but it wasn't plastic. It felt more like silicone. It was used to bundle wires to hoses and other parts. It was tied by slipping the end under a wrap.
Anyone seen it or know what it is or where to buy it?

aircraft spruce carries various sizes. Make sure you select the correct temperature rating for the use.

Spiral wrap

Good stuff! Has many uses! I have about 2 feet still....:)

Next trip, I'll take photos.
It must have been 1/8" because the width of the strip was about 1/8". The bigger diameter spiral wraps are wider.
It was black. The wrap method was pretty cool too. The end was routed back over and slipped under the first wrap.
Found it on Spruce and Skygeek
Looks like PTFE is the best choice for temperature.
SPIRAL WRAP 1/8" NATURAL TEFLON PTFE
Part# 11-16881
MFR Model# 1P9C

I try to avoid spiral wrap. Doesn't really protect well, and collects dirt and oil like a magnet.

Spiral wrap

I try to avoid spiral wrap. Doesn't really protect well, and collects dirt and oil like a magnet.

The engine I saw had small sections maybe 2" wide secured with it to keep wires and hoses from chafing. It looked really nice but to be fair, it was pretty new airplane with a Lycoming.

Back