What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip - Alternative Boost Pump Switch

HFS

Well Known Member
As an adjunct to the "normal" location of the boost pump switch, somewhere on the lower (sub) panel, I installed a momentary "on" micro push button on the lower face of my sub panel within a finger's reach of the start switch. The reason being that, starting my 540 sometimes begins with a "stumble" that just begs for a quick shot of gas to smooth things out. But if I have to go through the finger dance of activating the toggle switch, I have usually lost the advantage of the short window of opportunity for that purpose.

With my switch - just wired to the two poles of the toggle, all I do is rotate my hand off the start switch and onto the momentary switch (under the panel, and out of sight) and "tickle" it enough to smooth out the start.

As an aside, it did this on my -4, and when I sold it, I forgot to tell the new owner about this feature. 15 years go by and I get a call asking about the unknown purpose of the micro switch found under the sub panel. Oh well, it only works if you know about it & what it's for.

YMMV - but this worked for me.

HFS

Back