What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to retain service loops at both ends of wings?

dsmithlib

I am finishing up the wing wiring and encountered a challenge at both ends of the wing. There will necessarily be service loops of wire at both ends of the wing to facilitate putting on the wing and the tip.

What have others done so that these loops are secured as the wing and then the tip are installed? It almost seems like I would need a spring loaded solution to retract the loops into place as installation progresses?

Thanks,
Dave

I've been wondering the same thing. I can't see any other way not to leave slack except perhaps to pull the slack through the grommets from one of the inspection panels and securing it there.

Some will probably disagree, but I've always just left enough slack to get the wingtips off (JUST enough), and let the excess flop around a little. My Grumman was built this way, and the RV-8 has been fine for a long time that way. A little slack, with properly insulated wire, should be too bad out there.

One trick, of course, is to run the wire a bit diagonally, so that when you pull the wingtip screws, you can shift the tip backward a little, giving you some slack - that way, you have to leave less excess wire.

Paul

Paul

There is no problem with slack, as Paul said, as long as the service loop is supported at both ends. If the service loop is supported only by a connector, you will eventually pull the connector free or break a connection. So, for example, at the wingtip you should have the run supported in the wing, the service loop, a clamp in the wingtip of some sort, and then the lighting connections. We're so used to connecting things unsupported into TVs, computers, etc. that it's easy to forget that.

The other thing about slack is it should not chafe on any edges. So don't stuff a loop through a rib hole unless the edge is protected by caterpillar grommet or something. Better to let it lay on the inside of the wingtip.

loop

A loop out there should not be a problem as Paul stated, as far as chaffing because of it flopping around, a little spiral wrap on that loop would add extra protection and show the signs of chafing before it actually chafes the wire.

bird

Back