What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wingtip to Aileron Alignment: Will this work?

dsmithlib

I am at the point of drilling the tips to the wings. Like so many others, I have found the small misalignment issue (1/8 - 1/4) at the trailing edge between the aileron and the tip.

I am using holddown straps wrapped from the wing leading edge to the trailing edge where the wing and tip mate. This has allowed me to pull the tip forward fully.

At the same time, it seems I can roll the tip a smidge to get rid of the original misalignment. It worries me that I have not seen any references to finishing up the alignment like this before drilling.

Will this result in the trailing edge matching but problems from the rest of the tip being misaligned?
Can anyone else attest to this working out this way?
Are there people who install the tips without modification and they are trouble free?

Thanks,
Dave Smith

I installed mine exactly as you describe. The tips will roll around a little bit in the leading edge of the wing and that makes a big difference on the alignment at the trailing edge. Mine came out great.

Make sure to clean up the flanges...

The molding process can leave some inconsistencies in the flange area, especially around the front seam. If you clean these up you might have a better fit if you have not already done so. It also allows you to "roll" it around a bit as you have described a little better.
There are many ways but the easiest i found was to take a sqaure piece of wood and wrap it with 120 grit sandpaper to form a sharp edge. Dress the flange square to remove any of the imperfections between the flange and the finished surface of the tip. Make sure you keep the edge straight so your skin mates up well.
I believe most have to do some minor manipulation or more to make the tips align well.

Me, too. I actually drilled the *2nd* tip out of alignment by not checking before drilling. When I discovered the problem, I pulled all the clecos, removed & re-inserted the tip, & it actually popped into near perfect alignment on the 2nd try. Apparently, the tip can go in aligned or not just on how you start the insertion process.

Charlie

Guide to wing tips

Go to the left side of the opening page and look for "articles." There is a two part guide to installing and reinforcing the wing tips.

Back