What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rust in my engine ?

Jeff Vaughan

Well Known Member
Last week I removed all four cylinders per the ECI AD. My plane sits in a heated hangar, 55 deg. With the cylinders off the interior is wide open. Do I need to be concerned about rust? It may be another week or two until the new cylinders arrive. Should I spray down the inside with WD 40 or similar.

I would just cover the engine with a sheet. If there is no rust there now, no preservation needed if you are going to close it up in a few weeks. How does the cam shaft look?

JMHO.

Last edited:
Cheap and easy.

I hope that by sheet Larry meant a plastic sheet. If itwas me I'd go cheap and just get a large garbage bag and just slip it over the whole engine, pull it tight and whip out the ever handy duct tape and seal it up. Of course this is presupposing the prop is off the front.

Just covering the engine should be fine. A couple of weeks won't make a big difference. The cylinder covers or garbage bag is fine. I would look at the camshaft through the #1 cylinder opening. That is where I have seen a lot of problems start, I would look there regardless of how long the engine is open. I look there anytime I take cylinders off any engine.

I will look it over. I assume I am looking for pitting on the cams. Any place I can find photos of what to look for? IE examples of what you do not want to find.

Don't try to "seal" the engine with plastic. Moisture will condense and not evaporate.

I doubt it is possible to seal the engine with plastic, what with all the wires, hoses and engine mount in the way.

I doubt it is possible to seal the engine with plastic, what with all the wires, hoses and engine mount in the way.
That's what I meant. By "trying" to seal with plastic you will exasperate the problem of condensation.

Back