What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HVLP gun with Stewart Systems

bhassel

Well Known Member
Which HVLP gun are you using with Stewart Systems paint?

I was thinking of using that for Primer...

Bob

Harbor Freight Gun

I used one of the purple HVLP guns from Harbor Freight for their primer/sealer. Cost was $39. The exact gun I have is not available anymore.

Alan Jackson
Hartselle, AL

For priming, my best results with Stewart Systems came from a small(ish) paint gun from Lowes not an HVLP. Granted part of the problem may have been my compressor size but who knows. I recently tried to replace paint gun and found that the quality had diminished to the point of being useless. The point being that an HVLP gun isn't necessarily required to get a great finish and the ability to rotate the paint cup around the gun made priming in awkward places (e.g. between seat ribs) much easier. I also used the same gun to spray their 2 part paint onto my interior and it worked very well.

DeVilbiss Finishline 3, which is what Stewart recommends. Works well, but there is a special O ring that is easy to lose when cleaning. Replacement package of 3 or 5 (I forget which) is only a few bucks and a local auto paint store got them it for me in a couple days.

You can buy the gun online for about $150 or less. There are 2 versions, however, a water based version and a solvent version, so be sure to order the right one.

DeVilbiss Finishline 3, which is what Stewart recommends. Works well, but there is a special O ring that is easy to lose when cleaning. Replacement package of 3 or 5 (I forget which) is only a few bucks and a local auto paint store got them it for me in a couple days.

You can buy the gun online for about $150 or less. There are 2 versions, however, a water based version and a solvent version, so be sure to order the right one.

LOL...yep! I had one of those o-rings slide right down the drain. Fortunately had a spare in the 1.5mm tip box. :D

I'd also recommend the DeVilbiss...why not go with the gun that SS recommends? You'll probably paint with it, so why not just get one now? Works great.

Back