What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Upgrade 150 to 160hp

Pete P

Just seeking some engine advice-I have an 0320-E2D out of a 1974 Cessna with 1920 hours (first life) before it was stripped down for inspection. I wish to upgrade this engine to 160HP from the original 150 HP-I have been told by my local engine overhaul facility that I will need to do a mod on the engine case which requires dowel holes to be drilled up near the prop flange to take a collar and then they line bore the case. My question is-is this common practice for an engine used in a experimental aircraft-if so, is it an STC or Lycoming work order-does the process have a name? I have been quoted in Oz over $4k for this process-seems a bit over the top for an extra 10HP. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rgds,

Pete P:confused:

Last edited:
No. that procedure is not needed.

For several years the cases were the same. That 10 HP will not be an issue with the E2D case. The major difference as far as an experimental (non certifired) engine is the Piston part numbers. The compression ratio. Change the pistons (and check the piston pin part numbers as well; I'am working on memory before my morning coffee).

If you want to run an engine driven fuel pump you will have to change the accessory case and add a lobed gear on the idler shaft.

I've upgraded several 150 HP Lycomings to 160 HP and so have 100s of others without doing any case work. Not a problem.

G'day mate.

Bob

This was addressed in the latest issue of Light Plane Maintenance.

They say the E series engines (or at least some of them) use plain steel cylinders instead of nitrided, which can better tolerate wear and heat from higher HP. Also, the E engine was designed with 2 narrow front bearings instead of the larger, stronger single front bearing that is used on the 160 hp engines.

Use the existence of an STC for the HP increase as a guide and use a good engine shop.

Pete..a good discussion on this subject

can be found here:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/archive/index.php?t-10060.html

A 6 percent increase in takeoff horsepower won't affect much.

One reason NOT to add those hight compression pistons (7 to one for the 150 HP VS 8.5 to one for the 160 HP) is the higher compression motor will require 100 LL octane to avoid detonation. While the normal 7 to one 150 HP motor will run on car gas when they stop production of 100LL in 2017.

Something to think about. Is 10 takeoff horsepower worth it..?

Bob

can be found here:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/archive/index.php?t-10060.html

A 6 percent increase in takeoff horsepower won't affect much.

One reason NOT to add those hight compression pistons (7 to one for the 150 HP VS 8.5 to one for the 160 HP) is the higher compression motor will require 100 LL octane to avoid detonation. While the normal 7 to one 150 HP motor will run on car gas when they stop production of 100LL in 2017.

Something to think about. Is 10 takeoff horsepower worth it..?

Bob

Lots of people are running 91 octane mogas in 8.5:1 engines today. I don't think that issue should be a factor. One thing that will be a factor is the need for a new accessory case. Cessnas don't have engine driven fuel pumps. RV's typically do.

Good point Kyle...

Lots of people are running 91 octane mogas in 8.5:1 engines today. I don't think that issue should be a factor. One thing that will be a factor is the need for a new accessory case. Cessnas don't have engine driven fuel pumps. RV's typically do.

91 octane.....I keep thinking about 87 octane.

Upgrade 150 to 160HP-lycoming E2D

Thanks Bob (G'day mate and I'll chuck another prawn on the barbie for you!) and Lyle, the information was really helpful-I think mine is a wide deck just from the year of the Cessna 172 it came from-1974. My mechanic says it has the straight barrels and it also has the accessory case with the engine driven fuel pump-it may just be as simple of upgrading the pistons to 8.5 to 1 and new piston pins without the case work.

BTW the link was really informative.

We in Australia have 92, 95 and 98 Octane fuel as mogas-not that I have intentions of using it but like the US I,m sure there will be difficulties in obtaining certain AVGAS in the not to distant future-so its good to plan ahead now and have an engine that could use what fuel is available in the market.

if anyone out there has any more to add on the HP upgrade on an 0320-E2D I would appreciate hearing from you.

Rgds,

Pete P

The STC for Grumman Cheetahs...

...with a similar O-320-E2G engine only involves a piston change like you mention. The -E2G has the same two front bearing arangement.

Essentially a very small cost upgrade if you are doing a top overhaul.

I did the hp upgrade on 032-e2d on my Cessna Cardinal, I used the RAM stc, it does not required the case work and the e2d shipped on the Cardinal already has the Fuel pump. The Cardinal requires an engine and electrical fuel pump. Being a certified Aircraft I had to get the STC for the engine from ram. It came with a just few parts, stanless steel oil line that changes the oil pressure pickup from the rear of the engine to the right front galley of the engine, a new tach, because it has a yellow line from 2650 to 2700 rpm. The Ram is restricted to 5 minutes at full power of 160 hp. Now that would only occur at sea level, because as you climb you start dropping the hp. And to answer the question about the extra 10 hp, It was very noticable in the Cardinal on climb out on takeoff, and that is where you use the full power. I believe that the cost for the stc from RAM was $250.00 paper work and parts. At the time I had the cylinders overhauled, I found that the high compression cylinders cost less then the low compression. So even on a certified aircraft at time of overhaul, it is very little cost for the extra hp. As far as the higher Octaine, I have contempleted the loss of ability to run car gas, something I had never done before the upgrade, because of the inconvience of it in xcountry flying. And now with all the ETOH in fuel i just pump the blue stuff. When it is outlawed and if there is nothing to replace 100ll then there will be a lot of other aircraft sitting on the ground. On your engine if it has the engine fuel pump then the only thing you will need to do is exchange out the piston, rings and I believe the pins are different, which at overhaul you are going to do anyways.

Re 0-320-E2D Upgrade

Thanks all for those for their input into my query on the upgrade of my 0320. It seems I may not have to go with the Thrust bearing mod using the existence of STC's out there for the Cardinal and Grumman Cheetah. This is a great site!!

Rgds,

Pete P:D

Back