What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CBP sticker location

Greg Arehart

Well Known Member
I just spent my $27.50 plus shipping and have a brand new CBP decal so I can get back into the US from "overseas." Instructions say "Place decal on outside of the conveyance within 18 inches of the normal boarding area where it is visible when the doors/hatches are open." Where are folks putting these little stickers so they don't mar the paint job, either visually or from the sticky glue? And, preferably where they won't add much drag :D. Maybe on the plexi?

Cheers,
greg

I placed mine on the left side of the plane (RV7A tip-up), just aft of the roll bar on the lower forward corner of the rear window. it was easy to remove when it expired and the customs guys were happy with it.

Martin Sutter
building and flying RV's since 1988

I've cleared Customs from the Caribbean, Mexico and Canada and have both hand-carried my decal into the Customs office and now have it attached to the baggage bulkhead. Never has an Officer complained about it either way. You just GOTTA HAVE IT :D

Customs_decal.jpg

The right side has been...

I placed mine on the left side of the plane (RV7A tip-up), just aft of the roll bar on the lower forward corner of the rear window. it was easy to remove when it expired and the customs guys were happy with it.

Martin Sutter
building and flying RV's since 1988

....suggested by some since the CBP agents are somewhat used to private planes having doors on the right side.

The stern lady with a big gun at Friday Harbor this summer did look for my sticker before she came and spoke to us, and she did approach from the right side...:)

Interestingly, she never asked to see my pilot's license, she just asked for my medical certificate.
Perhaps she can't read those stupid small numbers on the plastic license either....:rolleyes:

Interestingly, she never asked to see my pilot's license, she just asked for my medical certificate.
Perhaps she can't read those stupid small numbers on the plastic license either....:rolleyes:

Maybe she figured that you wouldn't go to the trouble to get a medical if you didn't have a pilot certificate.

I was told that I could attach it to the inside of my glove box door, which is visible when it's left open.

Procedure is to retreive my documents from the glove box, leave the door down and go inside while they scan the aircraft for radioactive isotopes.

Vern

How to order CBP sticker?

How/from whom does one order the sticker?

From Rosie: You can order a Customs Decal by reading here and buying here :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Placement of Customs Sticker?

Per the CBP website:

Placement of Decals ? Private Aircraft or Private Vessels
The User Fee decal for private aircraft and private vessels is to be affixed on the outside of the conveyance within 18 inches of the normal boarding area, where it is visible when doors/hatches are open.

For those of you that do some border hopping, do you really have to place this sticker on the outside of the plane? Has anyone not followed the placement instructions and been harassed about it? These stickers are good for 12 months, and I don't want to have the stupid thing on there all year.

I just spent my $27.50 plus shipping and have a brand new CBP decal so I can get back into the US from "overseas." Instructions say "Place decal on outside of the conveyance within 18 inches of the normal boarding area where it is visible when the doors/hatches are open." Where are folks putting these little stickers so they don't mar the paint job, either visually or from the sticky glue? And, preferably where they won't add much drag :D. Maybe on the plexi?

Cheers,
greg

I used to put mine on the glove box cover but now I just carry it with my aircraft papers and show it to them if they ask for it. You have to put it on EAPIS now and some times they don't ask for it. I have ask them where they would like me to stick it and they have told me thats OK where it is in my folder.
Don McMullen

Mine is located on the top right side fuselage underneath where the rear canopy skirt would be when closed.
When the canopy is opened, the decal is visible.

Back