What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where was everybody?

chrispratt

Well Known Member
Sunday was an absolutely gorgeous day to be out flying in North Texas. So where was everybody? I showed up at Lake Texoma (3T0) and had the place to myself.

Chris

Last edited:
We were driving through a ground blizzard in Northern Iowa on our way to Minnesota to Christmas. The only thing worse would have been trying to fly through that weather, unfortunately......

Glad it finally cleared up down south!

Paul

I love Texoma....

but the water temp is in the fifties.

From the beach near Tamarindo, CR. Water temp 82-84 F

3T0

I was on the ramp with Yellow Bird at 11:00 for lunch.
Only 2 RV's and 4 or 5 spam cans.

As usual for me, when it's an absolutely perfect weather weekend, I'm gone on a 4 day trip. Sometimes it's a drag to be junior.

Friday was pretty decent with a 24 hr overnight in Cancun. Saturday afternoon was a different story; leave Cancun headed to Newark, straight into the blizzard. From reading the forecast at our ETA (1/4 mi viz, wind 010@25G35, heavy snow) we were placing bets on where we would actually end up... Boston was looking pretty likely. As it turns out, the wx in EWR was just a bit better than forecast and we made it in only an hour or so late. What a shock though, leaving sunny and warm Cancun to land in EWR with 300-1/2, 25 degrees, wind 010@25, blowing snow. But there's an upside to this: we didn't have to wait in a deice line! Sweeeet.

Sunday was an absolutely gorgeous day to be out flying in North Texas. So where was everybody? I showed up at Lake Texoma (3T0) and had the place to myself.

Chris

Chris,
I went up to 3T0 on Saturday with the same results. Send be PM next time and I'll meet you up there.
Tim

Working

I was helping someone get their RV built. Just could not get out to fly that day. I had the door open and could see the nice WX.... When I was in my twenties and thirties I woulda taken off. That is why I am working today/tonight too.

Lake Texoma

I was in LA (lower Alabama) wishing I was with you guys. The 10 is about 75% complete so it will not be long till we make a lunch run to North Texas. Flying out every Saturday and Sunday with the N. Texas gang is one of the things I miss the most about N. Texas although Alabama is a great place to live as well. Eloise and I want to wish all our friends in N. Texas a Merry Christmas.

Pat

I was in LA (lower Alabama) wishing I was with you guys. The 10 is about 75% complete so it will not be long till we make a lunch run to North Texas. Flying out every Saturday and Sunday with the N. Texas gang is one of the things I miss the most about N. Texas although Alabama is a great place to live as well. Eloise and I want to wish all our friends in N. Texas a Merry Christmas.

Pat

Pat:

We look forward to seeing you, Eloise and the -10 soon. Happy holidays.

Chris

Weathered in

We were planning on flying to Granbury, TX, Saturday to visit daughter #2 but that fell apart. So we decided to go to OKC to visit daughter #1. We made it 3/4 of the way before lowering ceilings, (much lower than even the 1600' ceiling forecast temporarily for later in the day), and poor visibility suggested a 180 was in order. We back tracked to KJWG where we spent two hours in a warm FBO, listening to 3 then 4 older gentlemen tell us about the wings falling off the 601's. I don't think they were intentionally trying to scare my wife, (who has been flying with me for 30 years), but I would have been annoyed if a less experienced passenger would have been with me because these guys inferred that all homebuilts had similar issues. And some of the comments seemed to be directed towards her. I certainly didn't mind them talking about it and I even joined in, to defend the non 601's but two hours worth got old.

The ceiling finally lifted a few hundred feet and we continued on our way and had a successful trip. That was a strange weather forecast with CAVU at both departure and destination and temporary conditions with 1600' ceilings moving in around 9 a.m. through 1 p.m. It is only a 30 - 40 minute trip. The front must have moved through quicker than predicted, as we left in plenty of time to beat the forecast. We may have been able to get through but I didn't feel scud running was worth the risk, even with voice over terrain and obstacle alerts. My personal minimums were about to be violated and I get uncomfortable if I don't have a couple of "OUTS" left up my sleeve. There were no reporting points for the XM weather to brief us on in between our position and destination. The ceiling was 1600' at KPWA when we landed, according to ATIS. We had a great visit and the flight home that evening was with CAVU conditions.

I did find out from the guys at KJWG that the RV-8 kit that was on Partain's trailer along with my 7 is languishing in a state of perpetual incompleteness. It supposedly is quite far along in its assembly. I had often wondered if it was flying yet.

... And some of the comments seemed to be directed towards her. I certainly didn't mind them talking about it and I even joined in, to defend the non 601's but two hours worth got old.

The ceiling finally lifted a few hundred feet and we continued on our way and had a successful trip. ...

Sounds like you made all the right decisions (other than listening to the geezers with their "there I was at 10,000 ft, upside down and the wings falling off..." stories. Wonder what it is about some pilots that makes them like to scare the heck out of non-pilots instead of trying to convince them to learn to fly. Curious.) Glad you had a good trip.

Chris

Back