What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Builders/Advisors passing by Hong Kong or Asia Area?

HighSchoolBuilders

Well Known Member
Hi Everyone,

I know this is a long shot, but doesn't hurt to give it a try here....

Any builders, advisors or A&Ps happens to pass by Hong Kong or Asia anytime soon? I am currently building an -8 in Hong Kong, and I am dying for an inspection by an advisor or A&P to make sure I am on the right path. I have one builder from Australia that visited me a couple of time, but it would be great if I can have someone "official" to pat me at the back and tell me I am doing a good job (or tell me to buy a new tail kit and start over again).

I just finished the tail and working on the wing now.

Many thanks!
Hank

Impressive

Wow, that is quite impressive. I have not heard much about general aviation in China, yet. You will have to fill us in on what airports and flying is like, how many other pilots, what kind of planes, etc. I would think others would be interested too.

I had hoped to plan a trip to China this year, but alas, plans fell apart. Opinions may differ, but there is not much to it this early in the build for a late model or match-holed kit. It would be nice to have someone with more experience take an in person look but not necessary. I would think posting pictures and such here on the board would also accomplish more or less the same things. The recent kits are so well documented, just make sure to read carefully and follow them, with an eye towards the next few steps.

Also, in my opinoin, I think A&Ps have such wide-ranging specialties, that getting other RV builders esp. other -8 builder's opinions would be more directly valuable. There are so many -8's built and biulder logs online, you shouldn't have much problem finding them.

Jae

An option for now....

Take a lot of pictures and put them into photobucket or such and post the link here. There are plenty of capable, articulate people on here who will look them over and offer constructive advice--usually the same day.

Same thing for any problem area you encounter as you go along.

You are right, it is a long shot

You are right, it is a long shot but a posting like this is not a bad idea. My wife and I took a Trafalgar Tour of China last year and at the end we spent several days in Hong Kong where we were free to do whatever we wanted. I'm sure others are doing the same sort of thing all the time from all over the world - it is a very special place to visit.

Bob Axsom

You know, it's traditional to cover travel expenses for a Tech Counselor visit....in which case, I volunteer!!:D;)

Just kidding - great idea to post here - with 11,000 folks reading this, it's not even a long shot that someone might be passing through.

If you DO have questions on something you've done, and you can't get someone to look in person, and you might not want to post it publicly for fear of.....feel free to put it on Picassa and send any of the Tech Counselors a link on a PM. I have seen your pictures before - they are clear and well framed, and I think it would be pretty easy to help you out by remote. Not as good as a personal visit, but better than you "building on" with doubt in your mind.

Paul

WOW!

Hank,
Wow! I never thought I would hear of someone building in Hong Kong. I used to live there in Tai Po. I moved back to the US because I just couldn?t figure out how to build in a 400 sqft apartment. Plus an engine out in HK means either running into steep hills, landing in the water, or landing in highly populated areas. Where will you base the plane when you are done? The new territories or at HKG? Where are you building? This is so cool!

I am in no way a tech counselor, but I?m in HK several times a year. I was just there last week. I would love to come by and see what you have going on when I am there.

Hong Kong

Hi

There is a possibility I might move to HK or mainland China in the new year.
I would be happy to come and look at your project, but you should firstly establish what your equivalent of the CAA or FAA require in terms of inspections and indeed in terms of issuing permits to fly.

I contacted the HK aeroclub about a year ago about the possibility of basing my RV 4 there but they did not seem to positive about hangar space ( no guanshi at the moment).

I have built a 9a, a Tailwind, a 4 and severa; other so do have some experience and might get an LAA inspectors ticket before I move out, but you need to get it signed off under the HK regs.

If I do in deed move out there I plan to build a M26b Spitfire, I have some good contacts in the Shenzen, and Shanghai areas, but I end up in Beijing things will be more problematic.

But.......... keep in touch, I am pretty sure I will be going to Nanjing in May, perhaps we could do something then.

Regards
WAM

This is awesome guys! Thank you for all the positive responses and possible visits! I will PM you with my contact and hopefully I can get a few visits in 2010.

Mike, I am building it at a local high school, where they spared me a classroom for 3 years, and I get the kids involve in the build process. This will be the first homebuilt in Hong Kong, according to the CAD (FAA equivalent). The problem is, they're not too enthusiastic about the project as they need to work out a new set of regulations for homebuilt. I have been considering flying it in China if I can't have it in Hong Kong, or get a N-Registration, but I need to look further into that. Worst case scenario, I can bring it back to the U.S. and look for other possibilities. I just can't let that be an excuse of not doing it.

I don't think I can do this without VAF or the internet, no way! But a counselor visit is invaluable. When it comes to the final phases of the build/test, I might consider "inviting" a DAR to Hong Kong to make sure I am doing the right thing.

Many thanks!
Hank

CX Builders

Hank,
A few Cathay pilots have built their RV empennages in Hong Kong and then shipped them to Australia where they complete the aircraft. Not enough room in a DB flat for that.

I have forwarded this post to two of them, so you might hear from them.

Pete.
PS. I lived aboard a 46' Nordhavn in Hong Kong, so I couldn't even do the empennage.
P.

Back