What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotisserie or Sling?

dsmithlib

Now that I have mounted my engine, it has dawned on me that it might be most convenient to begin painting before going further.

I see a number of threads about the rotisserie on the firewall. But, I do not want to remove the engine now that it is up.

What if I were to suspend the fuselage from ceiling supports by using 1-2" cargo straps around either the prop flange or the front end of the engine case? Would that cause any greater stress for the duration of the paining process than might be encountered during flight?

Seems easy, thought I would check with the team....

I bagged the idea of rotating the fuse around; and just got underneath it with a gravity fed gun, in which I bent the pickup tube a bit, for the various angles that I'd be using. It worked out well, and had the least dust particles to worry about. There's even five black and white invasion strips undeneath. I used a HVLP for the rest of the job. For the wings, I used 3" PVC pipe through the lightning holes and rotated them on sawhorses.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Back