Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-24-2021, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdragon View Post
Mine slips just fine.... Maybe fly with someone who knows what they are doing to teach you
RVs are great at many things but some of you need to understand that RVs simply don't slip with near the same effectiveness as many antique/classic/biplane/aerobatic types. For someone to notice this doesn't mean they need someone to teach them to slip, it simply means they are comparing (accurately) to other types. YOU might seek some dual in some new types for some perspective though.
Old 11-25-2021, 03:20 AM

Smile Loss of control

I see there are lots of opinions and different experiences.
Yes aircraft's are different. My plane is my plane.
Fact is that loss of control during landing has a large part of crash statistics.
If you fly your plane the same way during approach and landing and it works
well, next landing will most probably be fine.
There are circumstances when one would like to loose altitude fast, make a more steep approach. You don´t do this without training and experience.
There are many things that you can train and work out by yourself.
Side slips at 500 ft is not one of them. Yes most people survive, but some
don´t. If you are not absolute sure how to. Let a CFI show you.

Good luck
Old 11-25-2021, 12:44 PM

I thought I’d jump in here… I fly my RV-12 from a private strip 2100’ x 80’ with 30’ tall trees planted on threshold by an irate neighbor. I always use full flaps with a forward slip to scrub speed and height after safely passing over the trees. The flaps on the RV-12 don’t add much drag or change pitch attitude very much. Slip with full slaps is approved in the POH. I hold full slip right into the flare and sometimes even touch down without kicking the rudder to straighten out – main gear wheel on the forward wing will begin to scuff and straighten the plane. Works a charm. See video below...
-
https://youtu.be/CvsuBcV5IZs
Jim Stricker - EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 750

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father - CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 11-25-2021, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avanza View Post
There are circumstances when one would like to loose altitude fast, make a more steep approach. You don´t do this without training and experience.
There are many things that you can train and work out by yourself.
Side slips at 500 ft is not one of them. Yes most people survive, but some
don´t. If you are not absolute sure how to. Let a CFI show you.

Good luck
We all slide slip every time we land in a crosswind and want to align the aircraft with rhe runway centerline. We are flying the airplane sideways to maintain runway heading. That's done at an altitude down to the surface. We also learn to fly with a CFI before we solo because we need training and experience. That includes learning forward slips, where we don't fly sideways to align the axis of the aircraft with the ground track, done in order to loose altitude on approach. All during primary training. Unless something has changed.
Old 11-25-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliltd View Post
We all slide slip every time we land in a crosswind and want to align the aircraft with the runway centerline. We are flying the airplane sideways to maintain runway heading. That's done at an altitude down to the surface.
Not side slip on final... we "crab" into the wind to kill drift which keeps airplane on centerline - airplane continues to fly true and straight to the relative wind (no cross controls) on final. As the airplane slows, when we begin the flare, the crab needs to increase to hold centerline, and at this point, we revert to a slip and land wing low touching down on one wheel. Some folks hold the crab and straighten the airplane with rudder at touchdown - a problem arrises if crab is kicked out too soon or too late. Too soon and the airplane drifts sideways with the crosswind loosing runway centerline and also placing large side load on the gear at touchdown. Too late and airplane lands in the crab with large side load on the gear. Best to transition from crab to slip during the flare. Takes practice...
Jim Stricker - EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 750

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father - CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 11-25-2021, 08:20 PM

I don't. I fly in a slip as soon as I turn final with a crosswind. Of course, my final is usually about 100 yards long.

Last edited by swjohnsey : 11-25-2021 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-26-2021, 04:40 AM

In the recent tail wheel training Tube videos Doug says to keep the airplane lined with the runway use rudder to line up the pilot's nose, the airplane's nose, and the far end of the runway. Use aileron to correct drift to stay on runway centerline.
Old 11-26-2021, 10:06 AM

Every pilot forum archive on earth is already excessively littered with this debate over slipping vs. crabbing on final in x-wind. No need to continue it here.
Old 11-26-2021, 10:37 AM

RV’s do not slip well, actually they are poor at it. If you think they are good at slipping then you’ve never flown anything that is actually good. Modern Cessnas and Pipers, Beechcraft etc are also lousy slippers. None of them have enough rudder. They all do have effective flaps, especially Cessnas so why bother even fooling around with slips? If you’ve misjudged your approach to the point where full flaps doesn’t do the job you might consider spending more time on your approach’s rather than side slips.

Slips were necessary in aircraft without flaps and in older aircraft that had an abundance of rudder like Cubs, Aeronca,Luscombe,Tcarts etc. You could slip them to a degree that the whole aircraft was buffeting because the inner wing was partially stalled and they could really lose altitude at slow speeds. You just had to make sure you decreased the AOA prior to coming out of the slip or you may stall.
Old 11-26-2021, 10:55 AM

I few a 7KCAB Citabria, no flaps, slipped it alot. It would slip gud. So does my RV-4. With CS prop, full flaps and a nice slip it will come down like an elevator with a broken cable.
Closed Thread