Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2021, 11:01 AM

Default Non-dimpled nut plates on dimpled holes? Lower Firewall and Firewall Shelf

We've just gotten the forward section of the fuselage and on page 22iS/U-03 (rev. 1) in steps 2 and 8 you are directed to rivet K1000-3 nut plates to the Lower Firewall (F-01201C-1) and the Firewall Shelf (F-01201B-1). In both steps the parts that the nut plates are being riveted to are dimpled for flush rivets but the nut plates are not dimpled, nor are you instructed to dimple them. Is this correct? If installed this way there will be a small gap between the nut plate the corresponding part.

Up to this point in the fuselage, the majority of nut plates have been pre-dimpled for flush rivets. I do seem to recall at least one location where a non-dimpled nut plate was installed on a dimpled component but I think this was specifically noted in the plans.

I searched the forums and couldn't find anyone else asking this question so perhaps this is a normal practice (non dimpled nut plates on dimpled components) but it's new to me so I just want to confirm with the experts out there....

Thanks,
Bruce
Old 11-07-2021, 11:17 AM

I dimple the nutplates. I think the mounting screws/bolts are more secure that way.

Some folks don’t.
Old 11-07-2021, 12:46 PM

Like Ralph said, dimple them. You'll most likely need a ground down or reduced diameter female die though, and I suggest after dimpling that you carefully bend the tabs straight. They're much easier to rivet if they sit flush onto the surface and dimples.
Old 11-07-2021, 04:20 PM

Default Plate nuts

Many of us use “oops” rivets to fasten plate nuts . The head is so small you can machine countersink even in thinner material
Old 11-07-2021, 07:50 PM

I think it's an error in the manual and I stare at the results everyday as I'm now working on the engine ;-)

I didn't dimple the nut plate and it sits awkwardly on the back of that dimple. Now with more building experience I would have probably caught it but at the time I'm was thinking I assume there is a reason for not dimpling.

I would drill it out but it's those pesky stainless steel CCR rivets that love to spin in the hole. So I live with it.

Robert
Old 11-08-2021, 01:38 PM

Thanks guys, based on these responses we decided to dimple them and I think that was the right choice.

(I sure hope so, anyway, because you're right, drilling out those CR rivets is a pain in the butt!)

-Bruce
Old 11-09-2021, 07:57 AM

Default What I Did - "Dimple Shim"

These "shims" are available commercially, or so simple - just MYO.

Pretty self explanatory - a shim between the offending dimple and the nut plate.

HFS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dimple Shim.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	17997