What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Future of LSAs ?

novipilot

Now that the Pilot Protection Act has been introduced, and if, and that's a BIG IF, it does get through congress, what will it do to the LSA industry? Does the RV-12 have a future or will it go the way of the C-162? If you had to choose between an RV-12 or for just a little more, an RV-9(A), what should the choice be?

I keep putting off the decision wishing that the 3rd class medical would go away. It seems I'm in an endless waiting loop.

Your thoughts?

Viable

Economics at work here - LSA will remain as the cheapest way to get into aviation.

Go ahead and build a 12. Likelihood of this new legislation passing on the first go around isn't too high. Remember that many politicians are 'highly paid 'professional lairs'.

As for the RV-12, it will always be viable in my opinion. There will be some, possibly many, who will sell their kit or their RV-12 if/when this legislation passes and upgrade to a 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 14, etc. How many remains to be seen as the RV-12 is a sweet airplane. Even a new RV-12 SLSA costs about 115-124K from Van's. A lot of value for the money.

I think that the RV-12 SLSA will make a great trainer and that flight schools will use as a replacement for the vulnerable C-125.

I hope that this legislation passes soon - it could be a shot in the arm for aircraft manufacturing companies and allow those with the desire and $$$$$ to purchase a Piper, Cessna, etc to do so. Got 300K+ to invest in a new certified aircraft?

...As for the RV-12, it will always be viable in my opinion. There will be some, possibly many, who will sell their kit or their RV-12 if/when this legislation passes and upgrade to a 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 14, etc. How many remains to be seen as the RV-12 is a sweet airplane. Even a new RV-12 SLSA costs about 115-124K from Van's. A lot of value for the money.

I think that the RV-12 SLSA will make a great trainer and that flight schools will use as a replacement for the vulnerable C-125?

I could possibly find myself in that camp. The thought crossed my mind that I may be interested in trading for a basic VFR RV6 or 7. IMO, the change in legislation should have a minimal impact on future RV-12 kit sales. The -12 should still have great appeal in the LSA market.

As far as the -12 being a trainer. It will be interesting to see how well the nose gear structure holds up to student pilot abuse. I hope the -12 proves to be a durable trainer. It would be good for the flight training industry.

I was hoping the EAA/AOPA petition went through - I had in mind to go for a Cherokee of some stripe - to get more baggage room in the rear. I figured the Driver License medical would boost T/C airplanes prices and drive LSA's down. It still might.

I flew my RV-12 on April 3, and have since flown it for 135 flights. I have increasingly begun to like this airplane, and then slowly fell in love with it.

Now, if the FAA - or the congress - makes Drivers License pilots the law of the land, I would not switch from my RV-12. Never!

This is a great airplane - altho I don't think it would be able to replace C-150s - in its current form. It would need some changes. It could - but whether Vans would went to make them is a question.

As far as individual owners are concerned - very hard to beat. Do not even compare it to a Skycatcher in the same breath. It's a fine x-country airplane and my fuel burns beat the book by quite a bit - car gas too! I consider it more a five hour airplane than a four hour airplane.

Do my own maintenance and Annuals. Regularly beats the POH performance numbers. With the FAA going Medical run-a-muk, I'm EXTREMELY glad I went with this airplane - I really feel I've found my last airplane.

Bob Bogash
RV-12
N737G

I think alot of us are in that sitation, for one reason or another. I aggonized over the the 7, 9, 12 decision for a long time for that reason. I chose the 7 (A) because I was in the mind set that IF the new legislation passed, I would be able to keep the 7 instead of trading it out for a 12. Now, that I've read the protection act, it seems that several alternatives may be doable. the RV10 fits in that catagory, as well as some others.
Its not about me, but I have several friends that are sweating out some medical issues, where this new legislation would help. I've written AND called my Congressman.
Tom

Back