What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone use ATS tools?

novipilot

There is a local place that sells aircraft tools which is local to Michigan and some people here swear by them. Prices for their own branded tools are very reasonable. Thought I'd try a couple of their tools like a rivet gun to practice on before committing to an RV. Anyone have an opinion on Aircraft Tool and Supply located in Oscoda, MI?

I'm from that area and used to buy from them a bit, but not for quite a few years. Some tools were good, but cutting tools were poor. Same goes for dimple sets, etc. Their branded clecos used to pop right out of the hole because the "nub" was stamped china style. Most of the mechanics I know gravitated over to US Industrial. Pricier but way better. I've only gotten a couple things from Avery, but they've been quite good.

I have some of their items

I have two of their ATS Pro 3X rivet guns. They work well for me. I have never had an issue with them.

I also bought a hand seamer, and other items from them. I misplaced the seamer, and bought another one from another retailer. I later found the seamer from ATS, it was the exact same seamer, and was significantly cheaper than the second pair I bought.

Back in the early 80's

I bought several tools from ATS in the 1980's. As I remember none of the tools held up and I never went back. In all fairness. That was then and this is now. Maybe they have learned that to keep their customers, they needed to sell better quality tools.

Steve Barnes "The Builders Coach"

I recently bought a set of their cylinder base wrenches to re-assemble my Lycoming type engine. The heads were too big and thick, and the necks too thick as well. I ended up having to grind them a lot, then re-paint them. Kinda reminded me of Harbor Freight junk.

Back