What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Duckworks retrofit

ExtraKatana

Well Known Member
I have the rectangular reflector leading edge mounted 55W halogens from Duckworks. Have the Wig Wag switch. Like the concept but the 55W are not bright enough.
Has anyone replaced the halogens with a 12V LED Par 36 light? How did it work with the old click clack Wig Wag switch?

Lots of Flyleds kit retrofits out there

Our friends over at Flyleds have several good options for retrofitting into the Duckworks brackets.

The Quad Spot (for A models) and Combo Light (for taildraggers) are probably the most common ones people are using for the PAR36 brackets, and with 4800lumens in each wing, you'll see a pretty major brightness upgrade over the old halogens

I would include links to the product pages, but my website is down at the moment :mad:... typically you can pick up any Flyleds items on our store at flyboyaccessories.com or get them direct from Flyleds at Flyleds.com

I'll let others comment on how their installations are working out. We've had lots of happy customers but I sell the darn things so I don't expect you to take my word for it!

flyLED's

I have FlyLED's in my 7A and like them.

I don't believe I will be able to use the same switches/setup as I have with my DuckWorks halogens.
Seems like I corresponded with Paul about this and I would need to change the wig-wag switch and some other components.

I currently have a toggle switch each for L(landing) and R(taxi) lights + One WigWag switch. If I want solid lights I choose one or both toggle switches.
If I want wigwag, I just flip that toggle. Again, these handle 12V for 55W halogens.
Would be great if there were drop in lights(*** far as the wiring goes) that would work. Possibly LED tractor lights with their own drivers.
I once substituted n LED tractor light for an OEM incandescant to test on Bellanca and was very pleased with the "Test" results.

I know I would need to change the mounts to accept par 36 or whatever.

Last edited:
Hi Tim

Some wigwag units are based on mechanical (ie noisy) flasher relays. These sometimes rely on a halogen globe filament for their timing and won't work with LEDs.
From what I can see your Duckworks wigwag unit and it's wiring will work with any of our lights, so no panel or wiring changes required, assuming it's actually a Duckworks module!

If needed our Wigwag Module can also be easily adapted to your switch wiring:
1017807025.jpg

Note that the "tractor lights" found on the A site are good for about 1000 lumens. Just one of our single spotlights is 1200 lumens, so our Quad Spotlights are double and then double the light again...
What's the word for double and then double again of "very pleased"?

I have the rectangular reflector leading edge mounted 55W halogens from Duckworks. Have the Wig Wag switch. Like the concept but the 55W are not bright enough.
Has anyone replaced the halogens with a 12V LED Par 36 light? How did it work with the old click clack Wig Wag switch?

I had Duckworks in our 6A and put 100w halogens in them. Was a ton better than the 55s and cheaper/easier than changing to a different type of bulb. They can be had for about $7ea. Even the 75w halogens I ran for a while were a noticeable improvement over 55w.

That said, I've got FlyLeds on one side and a Squadron Pro on the other in my 6 and it's about as good as it gets I think.

Ed Holyoke

From what I understand Duckworks is a side-hustle for an otherwise busy man! Your question does get asked from time to time on the forum.

I can spend two or more hours a day just answering emails, so I can appreciate that he might be otherwise occupied.

Perhaps the forum can help with your question?

I did FlyLEDs for my RV7, and could not be happier!

I went with the “Original” position, strobes kit, and the Combo landing and taxi kit. The are super bright. This video is my plane, and does not do it Justice.
The project was a lot of fun, and Paul was extremely helpful on a few technical questions that I had. I was able to install using the original switch and wiring from my old Whalen strobes.

As far as I’m concerned, Fly LEDs is the way to go!

https://youtu.be/EF_qRVHIuH0

Back