What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

In Search of Greener Grass

Vlad

Well Known Member
Jim stirred the pot and I was very determined to check what's in it. Draw a machete like route and launched.

It was perfect Saturday light chop and stiff surface winds were all over the place from Boston to Jax. It kept a lot of traffic grounded and I have almost all the sky to myself. Transitioned airspace where my cousin works he sat deep underground in dark room and was likely bored working giant plastic planes.

After Atlantic City I turned toward The Boundary. There is an unconquered yet island Kent. And there is a great grass strip on that island called Kentmorr Airpark. That was my first stop on the way to Jim's airpark.

Rarely I crab this much. Even more rarely I "cheat" the winds.

Almost 30 kts at the surface is no joke. I don't know if ultimate gust lock would hold that rudder. I parked my RV sideways and knew my trusty PVC lock would.

There was a fly in at Kentmorr Airpark but nobody showed up only some random Russian. They have very interesting community there I met several high caliber aviators. This is a retreat of Michael Ashford. He gave me a tour inside his house it's actually a museum.

Seeing my RV shaking from high winds Michael graciously offered to park her closer to his home. Thanks Mike some day I will make it to your saloon.

Then I met a docent who works with Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center. We shoot a lot of bull and now I have my personal tour guide at National Air and Space Museum. Bad thing is I can't fly to College Park. I asked locals how they fly around SFRA here and could I sneak somehow not talking to anyone? One gent mentioned tight space between Baltimore Bravo sfc and MTN I looked it up yes I would fit.

Fly in, scheduled for 1100, slowly became a drive in around 1200. I knew Jim was waiting for me. I secretly left the premises boarded my RV and started the engine. A lot of people came out of nowhere so I shut it down said good bye and then left.

Then it was Baltimore. Bumpy as New York.

Last edited:
Hey Vlad

I really enjoy your write ups and pictures - but! How about some videos? I'd like to see your trips in video format - landings/takeoffs/sight seeing.

Boy, it looks windy. The chop on the water gives it away. What a nice looking grass strip. I can't wait to see the rest of the pictures.

Vman, with all this grass-strip...itist seems you were born to fly a tail dragger. Got another aircraft build in you? :D

All Grass All Day

Vlad, you flew right by my home airport Essex Skypark! (Just south of Martin State airport, and north of Bethlehem Steel) Too bad it wasn't Sunday, I was there all day and could have joined you. None of us were flying Saturday because of the winds. Next time you are in the area, let me know, and I'll treat you to Pizza John's in Essex - best pizza in Mid-Atlantic area.

College Park

Vlad, if you really want to fly into College Park, just let me know. We can work something out to get you in there. Great museum, by the way.

They also usually have cheap gas.

Fernando

Venice, FL

Gary, I was kicking around the Venice airport on Sunday and saw a red and white 6 (N815DC) but didn't see any others. Spent some time talking with Bob who owns a QT light sport. VNC is always an enjoyable place to spend time.

Baltimorean Chop

There is light chop, moderate chop and Baltimorean Chop. Guess which one is the worst?

Why the heck I went this route? Couldn't even find a freq to call Baltimore tower or whoever rules that stormy airspace.

The view of the City is really nice but there is not many suitable spots to land if you have a midair with a bird. Some random parks and occasional ponds forget about the roads it's Saturday afternoon. Don't go this route during high winds. It feels almost like by UN Headquarters on East River. Only there was no water within gliding distance if you turn Sally.

There are some high sticks.

Finally upside Bravo cake transitioned to higher shelf then one more and I was out of that violent turbulence.

Jim's airpark is difficult to miss. It's right by the race track. There are several strips within several miles of Jim's place but they are not that friendly and on our next fly in I'll tell you why :D

The grass runway is in top shape.

Jim's hangar is still under construction. I made couple circles around it crews are hanging insulation and they know how to make busy looks.

Runway is so long I didn't use any brakes.

On the grounds another Jim met me and directed to parking.

Gary, I was kicking around the Venice airport on Sunday and saw a red and white 6 (N815DC) but didn't see any others. Spent some time talking with Bob who owns a QT light sport. VNC is always an enjoyable place to spend time.

John , next time you are going to be in the neighborhood give me a call ( VAF white pages) I flew Young Eagles on Saturday and Monday morning Lonn and I went up. Sunday was church with mom. The RV-6 you saw was Dave Cooks. He's in Ohio right now for graduations.

Sorry for the thread drift Vlad ;)

Jim #1 is very cool guy. I enjoyed this place very much I wish there were more airplanes. Did I mention Jim and I had something in common in our past? :)

Jim's son Mark (in green), a brave young man was up for a ride. He is this close to private pilot check ride and this flight was a little refresher for him. He took over the plane right after take off and surrendered controls on landing.

Jim #1 has this beautiful RV4. Behind is the other Jim's Comanche and an experimental project in the works.

Jim has an artistic eye but he could use some help from VAFers. Which side you guys like better?

Right

or left?

Hours later I was in different dimension heading home. From Baltimorean Chop to Phillean Smoothness it was a nice ride.

One island, two grass strips and lots of new friends. Keep pounding those rivets there are plenty of great spots waiting for you!

Back