VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.


Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-19-2021, 05:13 AM
jeffw@sc47's Avatar
jeffw@sc47 jeffw@sc47 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Simpsonville, SC (SC47)
Posts: 403
Default reply > What's Primed? ...mothership vid

My link to the YouTube vid did not allow me to reply on YT, therefore this thread.

When I received my QB RV-14A fuselage about 3 1/2 years ago it was not primed. I expected that it would be, as I asked that specific question when I ordered it and was told it will be primed with an OD Green Sher/Will primer.

So I called Van's support to report that and was told that the primer on mine was a clear primer. That was complete BS, but there was nothing I could do - so rivet on, but not very pleased with the brush-off bogus answer.

I did a few things to try to verify that it might be clear primed. Had a few EAA Chapter members look at it to give their opinion. No one thought it was primed with a clear primer. Is there a clear primer? Pretty poor customer support and inspection at Van's before shipping a QB out as completed.
__________________
Jeff Warren
Simpsonville, SC (@SC47 > 10nm NW Triple Tree)
1946 Bellanca Cruisair 14-13-2 (75 YRS OLD 8/1/21)
RV14A (N14ZT), Ser#140195
Start 10/11/14; AWC Rcvd 7/21/21
Contribution made 12/2/20 (USArmy 2/67-2/70)
www.mykitlog.com/jeffw@sc47
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-19-2021, 06:24 AM
bkervaski's Avatar
bkervaski bkervaski is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Posts: 1,853
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw@sc47 View Post
My link to the YouTube vid did not allow me to reply on YT, therefore this thread.

When I received my QB RV-14A fuselage about 3 1/2 years ago it was not primed. I expected that it would be, as I asked that specific question when I ordered it and was told it will be primed with an OD Green Sher/Will primer.

So I called Van's support to report that and was told that the primer on mine was a clear primer. That was complete BS, but there was nothing I could do - so rivet on, but not very pleased with the brush-off bogus answer.

I did a few things to try to verify that it might be clear primed. Had a few EAA Chapter members look at it to give their opinion. No one thought it was primed with a clear primer. Is there a clear primer? Pretty poor customer support and inspection at Van's before shipping a QB out as completed.
They use a wash primer that has a dulling look to it, post a pic we can clear it up real quick
__________________
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-19-2021, 06:41 AM
lr172 lr172 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Schaumburg, IL
Posts: 6,519
Default

There IS a clear wash primer and that is what they use. It turns the silver color a bit towards a duller grey shade. Compare a primed surface to a non-primed Alum sheet and it will be obvious.
__________________
N64LR - RV-6A / IO-320, Flying as of 8/2015
N11LR - RV-10, Flying as of 12/2019
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-19-2021, 07:45 AM
jeffw@sc47's Avatar
jeffw@sc47 jeffw@sc47 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Simpsonville, SC (SC47)
Posts: 403
Default did bunches of things to confirm primed - no joy

The QB fuse was delivered 3 - 4 years ago and I painted the interior, can't send a pic now.

One of the things we did was compare other non-primed aluminum skins and other parts to the interior, looked the same. Scratched here and there a little to see if anything came off.

Nothing close to a grey shade or any other color shade or tint.

Never came to any conclusion other than bare metal.
__________________
Jeff Warren
Simpsonville, SC (@SC47 > 10nm NW Triple Tree)
1946 Bellanca Cruisair 14-13-2 (75 YRS OLD 8/1/21)
RV14A (N14ZT), Ser#140195
Start 10/11/14; AWC Rcvd 7/21/21
Contribution made 12/2/20 (USArmy 2/67-2/70)
www.mykitlog.com/jeffw@sc47
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-20-2021, 07:35 AM
rvbuilder2002's Avatar
rvbuilder2002 rvbuilder2002 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hubbard Oregon
Posts: 9,561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw@sc47 View Post
The QB fuse was delivered 3 - 4 years ago and I painted the interior, can't send a pic now.

One of the things we did was compare other non-primed aluminum skins and other parts to the interior, looked the same. Scratched here and there a little to see if anything came off.

Nothing close to a grey shade or any other color shade or tint.

Never came to any conclusion other than bare metal.
Jeff,
I don't doubt that you tried a number of things to confirm that there was primer on the assemblies, but I can assure you there is.
There has never (at least not in my 25+ years at Van's) been a single QB kit to leave the factory that wasn't primed.
__________________
Opinions, information and comments are my own unless stated otherwise. They do not necessarily represent the direction/opinions of my employer.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
FAA/DAR
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-20-2021, 07:43 AM
Bavafa Bavafa is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw@sc47 View Post
The QB fuse was delivered 3 - 4 years ago and I painted the interior, can't send a pic now.

One of the things we did was compare other non-primed aluminum skins and other parts to the interior, looked the same. Scratched here and there a little to see if anything came off.

Nothing close to a grey shade or any other color shade or tint.

Never came to any conclusion other than bare metal.
Unless you painted the inside of the entire fues, there are other parts that can be open to take a picture. There is a huge difference between a untouched skin and one that has been primed by VANs and in my opinion, unmistakable. There won't be any tint of color but the dullness is very clear.
__________________
Mehrdad
N825SM RV7A - IO360M1B - SOLD
N825MS RV14A - IO390 - Flying
Dues paid
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-20-2021, 08:03 AM
N8DAV8R N8DAV8R is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Salida, Ca
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafa View Post
Unless you painted the inside of the entire fues, there are other parts that can be open to take a picture.
...and with all of those described attempts to make a determination there wasn't a single photo taken at the time? Something as important as the priming on a QB and it wasn't documented in any way, even to correspond with Van's about it. Odd.
__________________
Nate - Salida, Ca
RV-12is - Fuselage kit in progress, wings and tail complete
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-20-2021, 09:09 AM
jeffw@sc47's Avatar
jeffw@sc47 jeffw@sc47 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Simpsonville, SC (SC47)
Posts: 403
Default Odd?

That is odd.

What's odd is that you have to point out that you have to label that it's odd. It is what occurred at the time - it are what it are. Live with it, life doesn't follow many steadfast rules and everybody is somebody different. I ended up living with it, so should you. Facts are facts.

If I had a picture it is not likely that you would be able to discern that fine of a detail anyway.
__________________
Jeff Warren
Simpsonville, SC (@SC47 > 10nm NW Triple Tree)
1946 Bellanca Cruisair 14-13-2 (75 YRS OLD 8/1/21)
RV14A (N14ZT), Ser#140195
Start 10/11/14; AWC Rcvd 7/21/21
Contribution made 12/2/20 (USArmy 2/67-2/70)
www.mykitlog.com/jeffw@sc47
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-20-2021, 10:05 AM
jeffw@sc47's Avatar
jeffw@sc47 jeffw@sc47 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Simpsonville, SC (SC47)
Posts: 403
Default PICS - Interior fuselage primed ?

Here are 4 pics of the fuselage arrival October 2016 and into November having mated the rear empennage and then the rear canopy and some of the floor panels. The primer on the empennage bulkhead, the floor panels and roll-over was what I did.

After being told that the fuselage interior would be primed a dull green color and recently seeing Vans' video featuring the green primer, the clear primer story finally seemed very dubious.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuselg primed? - 1.png
Views:	158
Size:	473.8 KB
ID:	13843

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuselg primed? - 2.png
Views:	123
Size:	581.6 KB
ID:	13844

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuselg primed? - 3.png
Views:	90
Size:	526.5 KB
ID:	13845

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuselg primed? - 1 (1).png
Views:	118
Size:	563.1 KB
ID:	13846

There wasn't a hint of any color in the fuse interior.
__________________
Jeff Warren
Simpsonville, SC (@SC47 > 10nm NW Triple Tree)
1946 Bellanca Cruisair 14-13-2 (75 YRS OLD 8/1/21)
RV14A (N14ZT), Ser#140195
Start 10/11/14; AWC Rcvd 7/21/21
Contribution made 12/2/20 (USArmy 2/67-2/70)
www.mykitlog.com/jeffw@sc47

Last edited by jeffw@sc47 : 07-20-2021 at 10:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-20-2021, 10:14 AM
mfleming's Avatar
mfleming mfleming is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Joseph, Oregon
Posts: 726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw@sc47 View Post
Here are 4 pics of the fuselage arrival October 2016 and into November having mated the rear empennage and then the rear canopy and some of the floor panels. The primer on the empennage bulkhead, the floor panels and roll-over was what I did.

After being told that the fuselage interior would be primed a dull green color and recently seeing Vans' video featuring the green primer, the clear primer story finally seemed very dubious.

Attachment 13843

Attachment 13844

Attachment 13845

Attachment 13846

There wasn't a hint of any color in the fuse interior.
Yup, It's primed....looks just like my QB fuselage.
__________________
Michael Fleming
Joseph, OR
sagriver at icloud dot com

RV-7 Slider #74572
Started 11/2016
Empennage completed 11/2016 (sans fiberglass)
Ailerons and flaps completed 3/2017.
Wings completed 12/2017
Started on QB fuselage 01/2018
Sliding canopy mostly completed 10/2020
Wiring and Avionics harness completed 9/2/2021
FWF Started 9/3/2021

Donated for 2021 and so should you
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:00 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.