- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-12-2021, 12:34 PM

Default Got my LODA for BFR already!

Just got an email from my FSDO with my LODA authorizing me to use my RV for flight instruction within my operating limitations. Fantastic response from Sacramento FSDO! Kudos to them...
Old 07-12-2021, 12:37 PM

Great to hear. Could you share with us what it says?
Old 07-12-2021, 12:38 PM

That is great news. Very hopefull this is the norm and not the exception.

Larry
Old 07-12-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsilvmac View Post
Just got an email from my FSDO with my LODA authorizing me to use my RV for flight instruction within my operating limitations. Fantastic response from Sacramento FSDO! Kudos to them...
Just out of curiosity are you receiving instruction in your RV or providing transition training to others?

thanks
-c
Old 07-12-2021, 12:43 PM

I'd be interested in what *exactly* was in the email you wrote to them...just the items listed, or did you have to write an explanation for the request, etc.?
Old 07-12-2021, 12:55 PM

Default Great News

I sent mine in this morning, Hopefully I will get the same results (IFR Training)
Old 07-12-2021, 12:56 PM

Default My LODA Wording

I only requested LODA for transition training and BFR. I am NOT an instructor, so this was for my personal training only.

I don't think there is any rule preventing me from sharing some of the text in the LODA - so here are some pertinent snips:

"B. Aircraft. A flight instructor is authorized to exercise the privileges of this LODA in any experimental aircraft for which he or she is qualified to provide flight training. The owner or operator is authorized to receive flight training in the following aircraft..."

There are sections on airworthiness (must have certificate and phase 1 completed) and Operating Limitations (accordance with 91.9, no compensation for use of aircraft):

"Operating Limitations:
1) In accordance with 91.9, the aircraft must be operated in accordance with the operating
limitations made a part of the experimental airworthiness certificate, except for those
limitations modified by this LODA.
2) The owner (or delegate) or instructor named below may receive and provide
compensation for flight training in this aircraft, provided no compensation is received for
the use of the aircraft. Compensation for the use of the aircraft includes expenses,
including a pro rata share of expenses, such as (but not limited to) fuel, oil, airport
expenditures, or rental fees.
3) Compensation for flight instruction is limited to the fair market value for that instruction.
4) Owners of experimental aircraft and flight instructors exercising the privileges of this
LODA are restricted from advertising or broadly offering the use of their aircraft for
flight training. Operations of that nature would require a LODA in accordance with FAA
Order 8900.1, Volume 3, Chapter 11, Section 1, Use of Aircraft Issued Experimental
Certificates in Flight Training for Compensation or Hire.
5) Operation under this LODA must comport to the parameters the Notification of Policy
for Flight Training in Certain Aircraft (published in the Federal Register on July 12,
2021).
6) This LODA expires 48 months from the date of issue, and may be canceled or amended
at any time.
7) This document, or an electronic copy, must be carried for all operations conducted under
this authority."
Old 07-12-2021, 12:59 PM

I also received my LODA from the OKC FSDO today.

Noteworthy Excerpts:
"to receive or provide aircraft-specific training in an aircraft certificated in the experimental category in accordance with the limitations and provisions of this LODA.

" A flight instructor is authorized to exercise the privileges of this LODA in any experimental aircraft for which he or she is qualified to provide flight training. The owner or operator is authorized to receive flight training in the following aircraft:"

"This LODA expires 48 months from the date of issue,"
CFI, CFII, ATP
Guthrie-Edmond Rgnl, OK (KGOK)
________
Old 07-12-2021, 01:05 PM

I emailed the LODA request Thursday evening and received the completed LODA back today from the Milwaukee FSDO, I expected it to be several months before I would see the official LODA, thanks to the MKE FSDO for the quick service.
W9LYX

Antennas for Experimental Aircraft
www.deltapopaviation.com
Old 07-12-2021, 01:16 PM

Are people who are getting quick turn around approvals using the email address the FAA set up for this purpose or emailing their local FSDOs directly?

Donation reminder: Jan. 2022