-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:54 PM

Default Oil Cooler Flush/Overhaul after Engine OH?

Hey all,

My O-360 s#it the bed and is off getting a major overhaul now. It left quite a few metal parts in the oil screen and throughout the engine. Not good.

Either way, I probably know the answer, but just seeking confirmation and opinions on the subject.

Given that the engine became a metal factory, I'm assuming it's the right time to send the oil cooler out for overhaul/test/flush, etc.. I'm really only asking since once the engine comes back from OH, it will continue to make metal for a number of hours while rings and other parts complete the break-in process. Is it smarter to A) flush & overhaul oil cooler now; B) not worry about it until after new engine is broken-in; or C) do it twice..once now and again after the break-in is complete.

NOTE: This engine only has an oil screen (no oil filter)

Thoughts??

thanks,
Sam Swift

Last edited by flyboycpa : 05-28-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:10 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboycpa View Post

Thoughts??

thanks,
Sam Swift
My thoughts-----flush it.

Install an oil filter before you start the engine when it is rebuilt.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 05-28-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboycpa View Post
Hey all,

My O-360 s#it the bed and is off getting a major overhaul now. It left quite a few metal parts in the oil screen and throughout the engine. Not good.

Either way, I probably know the answer, but just seeking confirmation and opinions on the subject.

Given that the engine became a metal factory, I'm assuming it's the right time to send the oil cooler out for overhaul/test/flush, etc.. I'm really only asking since once the engine comes back from OH, it will continue to make metal for a number of hours while rings and other parts complete the break-in process. Is it smarter to A) flush & overhaul oil cooler now; B) not worry about it until after new engine is broken-in; or C) do it twice..once now and again after the break-in is complete.

Thoughts??

thanks,
Sam Swift
Definately have it flushed, especially with known debris in the oil. One of the many shortcomings of the lycoming engine is that the oil flows to the cooler before the filter. Any debris larger than the passages in the cooler will create clogged or partially clogged passages. This a real problem for carbon debris from blow by or coarse metallic material, but not as much for fine metal material.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 05-28-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:08 PM

I had a similar situation with my engine. I contacted the cooler manufacturer and was told that there was no real way to ensure complete removal of the metal particles from the cooler due to the way they are manufactured. Maybe just a way to sell another cooler but considering the cost of the engine vs the cost of a cooler I just bought a new one. Better safe than sorry I figured. FWIW.

Al
Old 05-28-2018, 04:25 PM

See if you can get access to an ultrasonic cleaner of sufficient size.

Not guaranteed, but it will do better than simple flushing/reverse flushing.

There was an article in Kitplanes some years back regarding a tour of Pacific, I believe. I forget the details but they explained the position on poor results from cleaning.

FWIW
Old 05-29-2018, 05:33 PM

Let the pros do it, send it to Pacific oil coolers. There is no way you can duplicate what they do in the field. Your new engine won?t like it something departs the cooler after you spend all that money
Tim Andres
Old 05-29-2018, 08:25 PM

Or, just buy a new cooler along with an oil filter adapter to go with the overhauled engine.

Carl
Old 05-29-2018, 08:30 PM

Default My experience

My experience with race cars is that the cooler should be replaced if metal has gone through it. But I am not an expert on airplanes, but it also seems more critical on a plane. JMHO

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
90% done, 90% left to go
Firewall Forward 5% in work
Fiberglass 0%, thought i was building in metal?
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 05-29-2018, 08:38 PM

I have worked on Porsche cars since 1969. Had my own shop for 39 years. In the workshop manual it states to replace cooler if it has metal running through it. I have used Pacific oil coolers for years for minor debris ie carbon but you will not get all the metal out. Get a new cooler and full flow filter. You will sleep better. Why take a chance.

Bob Grigsby
J3 flying
RV3B close
Old 06-05-2018, 02:53 AM

I ended up ordering a new one from Pacific Oil Coolers. $834, but I guess that?s the cost for peace of mind.

My mind was more made up when I flushed the lines and a fair amount of metal came out.

Thanks for the replies,
Sam