- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-30-2021, 08:30 AM

Default PMags

I will be ordering my new engine to avoid price increase. Canít decide on Pmags. Can anyone tell me their experience. Pros and cons. What is minimum rpm to generate their own power? Iíll be going with the standard io390 210 h.p.
Fuel savings? Reliability?
Thanks
Old 06-30-2021, 09:23 AM

There are dozens (hundreds?) of threads on this with as many opinions.

Suffice to say that at this point any EI is a worthwhile upgrade from traditional mags and there are a lot of RVs with PMags.

Per the manual:

" ... the internal alternator will be unable to support the ignition somewhere below 900 rpm"

Reliable: Yes
Fuel Savings: Some
Easy: Yes
Worth It: Definitely

I started out with traditional mags and at 150 hours upgraded to dual PMags and have been very happy with them, easy starts and a smooth idle. Fair to say, there are other systems out there, each with their own pros and cons.

Note that unless something has changed, Lycoming will only ship with a single PMag and one traditional mag.

Edit: Regardless of how you order you can sell the traditional mag(s) (or the PMag if you want to use another system), they will move pretty quick if priced reasonably.
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy

Last edited by bkervaski : 06-30-2021 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-30-2021, 10:00 AM

Thanks for the reply. Have you tested yours to see what the rpm actually is when they stop producing power? What is your rpm setting on final?
Old 06-30-2021, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc607 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Have you tested yours to see what the rpm actually is when they stop producing power? What is your rpm setting on final?
Not scientifically, however, I understand that they can vary, 900 is the official safe spot. It's just not an issue, they don't draw much, so idling around the airport isn't really a factor or problem.

You aren't going to get below 900 rpm on final, even if you try.

While my power setting on final is "whatever it needs based on all the factors" I'm typically at 18 on downwind and 13 after I turn final then idle over the threshold (shooting for 70-75kts), but even at idle on final the wind through the prop still turns it north of 1000rpm, so the PMag generators are still running.
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy

Last edited by bkervaski : 06-30-2021 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-30-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
Not scientifically, but mine is around 850, however, I understand that they can vary, 900 is the safe spot. It's just not an issue, they don't draw much, so idling around the airport isn't really a factor or problem.

You aren't going to get below 900 rpm on final, even if you try.

While my power setting on final is "whatever it needs based on all the factors" I'm typically at 18 on downwind and 13 after I turn final then idle over the threshold (shooting for 70-75kts), but even at idle on final the wind through the prop still turns it north of 1000rpm, so the PMag generators are still running.
Thanks. An EI that produces its own power, makes the most sense.
Old 06-30-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Thanks. An EI that produces its own power, makes the most sense.
I think the PMags are popular because they are the most "plug and play" install/retrofit with good general settings that suite most people.

However, if you want the ability to tweak and tune, there are lots of options.

Edit: When researching, note the dates of the threads. Some have formed (understandable) opinions on some of these systems based on problems that are ancient history.
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy

Last edited by bkervaski : 06-30-2021 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-30-2021, 11:34 AM

Personally not a fan of pmags on the angle valve engines, which includes the 390, due to the aggressive advance.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1900+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 06-30-2021, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Personally not a fan of pmags on the angle valve engines, which includes the 390, due to the aggressive advance.
I do not agree. For either the parallel or angle head engines I recommend a maximum of 9 degrees advance. For the parallel valve engine this is 25 - 34 degree BTDC, for the angle head engines this is 20-29 degrees BTDC.

I installed dual pMags on an RV-14A with the IO-390 a few years ago. It is performing well.

Carl
Old 06-30-2021, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I will be ordering my new engine to avoid price increase. Can’t decide on Pmags. Can anyone tell me their experience. Pros and cons. What is minimum rpm to generate their own power? I’ll be going with the standard io390 210 h.p.
Fuel savings? Reliability?
Thanks
Min RPM, ~900 rpm, tough to do in flight and ship’s power is the backup anyway.
Fuel savings? yes. I typically burn 7.3gph at 60-65% = 160KTAS cruise (RV7A 180hp parallel valve).
Reliability? Excellent. Two sources of independantly controlled ignition, each with two sources of electrical power, and only one moving part each. If you take the time to understand their operation, including how to properly setup, test, control, and identify their failure modes, there’s nothing better in my opinion except for turbine power. I fly over Coastal and Rocky Mountains ranges and large bodies of water. I would be more concerned with magnetos but that’s just me.
Customer service? Excellent!

Do you own research, make informed choices and move forward.

Bevan
Precision F.I. with AP purge valve
Vinyl Wrapped Exterior
Grand Rapids EFIS
Located in western Canada
Old 06-30-2021, 01:04 PM

A few years ago I bought the first airplane Iíve had in 30 years that I didnít build. The smart guy that built my current mount had previously installed dual pmags after trying a combination of light speed and Slick ignitions, which he ultimately abandoned. Being a believer in mags, I procured a set of mags, harnesses, spacers, etc. in anticipation of just knowing that these pmags were not going to cut the mustard. Long story shortened, the pmags are staying, they are excellent. Starts quick and they help my little 165 hp io 320 run like a scalded rat. Btw, I have a set of mags for sale.
N588DF RV12 #336 built, sold and alive and well in New York
N73DF RV12 #244 built, sold and alive and well in Florida
N91 RV RV9 I wish I could say I built this one! Mark Santoleri hit the ball out of the park on this gem.